UNLV thinks they have a chance to beat the Gophers

Halsey Hall

Reaction score
Interesting article from the Las Vegas Sun:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/aug/22/ray-brewer-starting-think-unlv-football-season-mig/

Ray Brewer: Starting to think this UNLV football season might be different

By Ray Brewer (contact)

Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2012 | 2:05 a.m.

Ely —

Related content
■Redshirt freshman Nick Sherry named UNLV starting quarterback
■Led by Boyko and Waterman, UNLV’s offensive line returns all five starters
■James Boyd learning on the job as he tries to fit into UNLV’s defensive line rotation
■Quarterback Nick Sherry’s stellar play to end the day stands out
■UNLV’s Sidney Hodge has many reasons to celebrate before the regular season
■Rebels young and old shift focus to camp in Ely ahead of 2012 home opener
■All UNLV Football Coverage

You have to like the confidence of the UNLV football team. I sure do.

Despite being picked by several to finish near the bottom of the Mountain West Conference, and despite winning just two games in each of the last two seasons, and despite not having a winning record since 2000, the Rebels’ players don’t seem to be fazed.

They truly believe this season will be different. Defining what different means when applying it to UNLV football is the tricky part. Is different three wins? Four? A bowl berth?

Whether it’s youth, high school, college or professional football, talk with any player or coach at this time of the year and they have a certain level of optimism for the upcoming season. My favorite saying, which I’m still waiting for a UNLV player to say, is how they plan to smack the other team in the mouth. Love that.

The optimism at Broadbent Park, where the Rebels on Wednesday will finish their 11-day training camp in Ely, seems more genuine than past seasons. It’s as if the players actually believe this year will be different.

Maybe it’s because, next week, UNLV has a legitimate chance to start the season with a victory when they host Minnesota. Sure, UNLV is about an 8-point betting underdog, but at least the players can finish up camp Wednesday knowing they have something for which to play.

Last year, after all, they opened at nationally ranked Wisconsin, which turned out to be the lopsided defeat everyone expected. Even when UNLV was in camp last year in Ely, they were essentially preparing to lose by five touchdowns to Wisconsin. It's tough to prepare for a season knowing the outcome likely won't be in your favor.

They proceeded to under-achieve by winning just two games and, more importantly, suffering two ugly defeats against the inferior teams of Southern Utah and New Mexico.

For some, it seems far-fetched that the team with so many ugly performances and rough defeats from last year can transform into a winner. Talk with the players, however, and they will tell you this is a different team. First, everyone has bought in — they care about each other and winning.

It’s refreshing to hear. Maybe I’m naive, but I’m sold on what the players have told me. Here’s a few quotes I found interesting. I'd love to get your feedback:

• Newly named starting quarterback Nick Sherry: “I feel like this team has gotten a lot better. Even coach Hauck says this team looks better than when he came two years ago.”

• Junior defensive lineman Parker Holloway, a mid-year transfer from Trinity Valley CC in Texas: “It is a totally different team from what I hear from last year — a totally different team with a totally different attitude. There are people on the team who want to play. I can’t wait to get out there with the team and shock the world. Nobody believes in us except us.”

• Senior running back and wide receiver Eric Johnson: “We are always fired up. We are always looking for a challenge to overcome. We are going to surprise some people. We are going to be ready.”

Season opener at home at night against a perennial lower tier Big Ten team. If any UNLV player or coach doesn't think they can win this game they should lose their scholly or be fired.

This is no different than the Gophers thinking they can beat Wisconsin or Michigan.

There's something different about this team. Something we haven't seen in Rebel-land in a long time. A quiet confidence and comittment to excellence and kicking ass.

GopherinPittsburgh is right on. They should feel like they have a shot because they absolutely do. It is at their place, likely with their officials. We have been the BCS team routinely getting beat up by FCS teams in the last few years, so UNLV will be no cupcake. I certainly like our chances in the game and think if we play to our ability we will win. But after watching us stink up the joint so many times lately, the proof will be in the pudding.

If we stumble out of the gate, I can see this being a close game much like NMSU was last year. If things have truly changed that won't happen. There will be mistakes, but if the team that pile-drived Illinois last November shows up there should be no question as to the outcome.

Bobby Hauck has a pretty good track record, he's in his 3rd year at UNLV now, it's not unreasonable to think they take a leap up this year.

Who do they think they are? New Mexico State? ;)

Let's be honest here...UNLV is no University of South Dakota. Who do they think they are, thinking they can beat the Gophers?

Bobby Hauck has a pretty good track record, he's in his 3rd year at UNLV now, it's not unreasonable to think they take a leap up this year.

Agreed. Hauck was one of those young up-and-comers when he was at Montana and it will be interesting to see if he can get the corner turned at UNLV, but the guy knows how to coach.

My fear is fatigue, especially if the defense is on the field too long. As I wrote in a different thread, I was in Las Vegas last week and the temperature was about 90 at what will be gametime. It was uncharacteristically humid for Las Vegas last week, making it even worse. If it's the dry heat that's usually in Vegas, that will be one thing and easier for the team to handle. But I'm hoping for an unseasonably cool night.

We should win, but as many here have said, losing to New Mexico State at home last year puts everything into perspective.

There's something different about this team. Something we haven't seen in Rebel-land in a long time. A quiet confidence and comittment to excellence and kicking ass.

Most excellent. Thanks for the laugh.

I have every reason to think that this team will be better than the team that lost to South Dakota and NMSU, but of course, it is decided on the field. Yes, UNLV can legitimately expect a chance of winning this game. They have nothing to lose. This is a must-win game for the Gophers, lose and it sets a very bad tone for the rest of the year.

There is a better than 50/50 chance the friday 08/31/2012 article has a comment from Jerry similar to...I'll be real honest with you, we have a young team that is capable of still making a lot of mistakes. We can't have this occur going forward and if some of those players keep doing the same things then they won't be on the field.

Of course UNLV has a chance to win, has anyone on here seen the Gophers play the last two seasons?

The writer, the players, are all positive about the season, something different this year. Meanwhile backhere at the ranch, the debbie downers are queasy about the Gophers. 6-6 would be a good year. This game is not about UNLV, the weather, Sam Boyd Stadium, The Lights of Las Vegas. Its about the Gophers execution of the game plan. The defense. The Special Teams. If we perform at our best, its over. If we play at an average level, its will be closer than it needs to be. If we simply show up, we have no chance. Which of the above do you Coach Kill and the Staff is drilling.

Of course they have a chance. However, I really feel like this team will be better this year and Gray will be much improved in year 2 of being a full-time QB.

It is at their place, likely with their officials.

Usually these contracts include provisions for conference neutral ref crews. In this case I'd expect either a Pac-12 or WAC crew to work the game.

My point in showing this is that people like Sid are taking this game lightly. I hope the team knows they can't do that.

Usually these contracts include provisions for conference neutral ref crews. In this case I'd expect either a Pac-12 or WAC crew to work the game.

I hate to say it, but WAC officials would be worse. If we start like we finished last years, officiating will make no difference. I know sometimes the visiting team brings in their conference refs as well. I'm not too worried about it. More worried about looking competent against a team we should roll.

The Gophers should feel confident of victory. What they shouldn't feel is that this is a gimme, that leads to trouble. The odds are that Minnesota wins, but a loss is a real possibility. I want to see the Gophers come in hard and fast and put this game away early.

Agreed. Hauck was one of those young up-and-comers when he was at Montana and it will be interesting to see if he can get the corner turned at UNLV, but the guy knows how to coach.

My fear is fatigue, especially if the defense is on the field too long. As I wrote in a different thread, I was in Las Vegas last week and the temperature was about 90 at what will be gametime. It was uncharacteristically humid for Las Vegas last week, making it even worse. If it's the dry heat that's usually in Vegas, that will be one thing and easier for the team to handle. But I'm hoping for an unseasonably cool night.

We should win, but as many here have said, losing to New Mexico State at home last year puts everything into perspective.

Humidity will be gone by Thursday. You were here in the peak of "monsoon season", early August when the rain comes. Humidity will be back to the 15-17% range by Monday or Tuesday, in plenty of time for the game.

Other than being on the road, this is a good matchup for the Gophers, especially with the recent emphasis on speed over bulk. The Gophers may struggle this year with "larger" teams, more traditional BT rosters. That is not UNLV. Size-wise and experience-wise (high number of underclassmen) the two rosters are similar; I'll take the Gophers talent and execution over that of UNLV.

I also agree with husker, this game will have little to do with UNLV. If the Gophers come to play, and execute, they should win comfortably. Execute the game plan, and there should be no problems.

Humidity will be gone by Thursday. You were here in the peak of "monsoon season", early August when the rain comes. Humidity will be back to the 15-17% range by Monday or Tuesday, in plenty of time for the game.

So you're saying that the humidity is guaranteed to be below average? /ReverseDance4RaidersJoke

I simply copied and pasted the thread about UNLV and turned it into a GOPHER thread. It's uncanny how similar the two programs have performed.

Enjoy...

You have to like the confidence of the MINNESOTA football team. I sure do.

Despite being picked by several to finish near the bottom of the BIG TEN CONFERENCE, and despite winning just THREE games in each of the last two seasons, and despite not having a winning record since 2008, the GOPHERS’ players don’t seem to be fazed.

They truly believe this season will be different. Defining what different means when applying it to MINNESOTA football is the tricky part. Is different three wins? Four? A bowl berth?

Whether it’s youth, high school, college or professional football, talk with any player or coach at this time of the year and they have a certain level of optimism for the upcoming season. My favorite saying, which I’m still waiting for a MINNESOTA player to say, is how they plan to smack the other team in the mouth. Love that.

The optimism at GIBSON-NIGURSKI COMPLEX, where the GOPHERS on Wednesday will finish their 11-day training camp in MINNEAPOLIS, seems more genuine than past seasons. It’s as if the players actually believe this year will be different.

Maybe it’s because, next week, MINNESOTA has a legitimate chance to start the season with a victory when they TRAVEL TO UNLV. Sure, MINNESOTA is ONLY about an 8-point betting FAVORITE, but at least the players can finish up camp Wednesday knowing they have something for which to play.

Last year, after all, they opened at nationally ranked USC, which turned out to be the CLOSE defeat NO ONE expected. Even when MINNESOTA was in camp last year in MINNEAPOLIS, they were essentially preparing to lose by five touchdowns to USC. It's tough to prepare for a season knowing the outcome likely won't be in your favor.

They proceeded to under-achieve by winning just THREE games and, more importantly, suffering two ugly defeats against the inferior teams of NORTH DAKOTA STATE and New Mexico STATE.

For some, it seems far-fetched that the team with so many ugly performances and rough defeats from last year can transform into a winner. Talk with the players, however, and they will tell you this is a different team. First, everyone has bought in — they care about each other and winning.

I simply copied and pasted the thread about UNLV and turned it into a GOPHER thread. It's uncanny how similar the two programs have performed.

Enjoy...

You have to like the confidence of the MINNESOTA football team. I sure do.

Despite being picked by several to finish near the bottom of the BIG TEN CONFERENCE, and despite winning just THREE games in each of the last two seasons, and despite not having a winning record since 2008, the GOPHERS’ players don’t seem to be fazed.

They truly believe this season will be different. Defining what different means when applying it to MINNESOTA football is the tricky part. Is different three wins? Four? A bowl berth?

Whether it’s youth, high school, college or professional football, talk with any player or coach at this time of the year and they have a certain level of optimism for the upcoming season. My favorite saying, which I’m still waiting for a MINNESOTA player to say, is how they plan to smack the other team in the mouth. Love that.

The optimism at GIBSON-NIGURSKI COMPLEX, where the GOPHERS on Wednesday will finish their 11-day training camp in MINNEAPOLIS, seems more genuine than past seasons. It’s as if the players actually believe this year will be different.

Maybe it’s because, next week, MINNESOTA has a legitimate chance to start the season with a victory when they TRAVEL TO UNLV. Sure, MINNESOTA is ONLY about an 8-point betting FAVORITE, but at least the players can finish up camp Wednesday knowing they have something for which to play.

Last year, after all, they opened at nationally ranked USC, which turned out to be the CLOSE defeat NO ONE expected. Even when MINNESOTA was in camp last year in MINNEAPOLIS, they were essentially preparing to lose by five touchdowns to USC. It's tough to prepare for a season knowing the outcome likely won't be in your favor.

They proceeded to under-achieve by winning just THREE games and, more importantly, suffering two ugly defeats against the inferior teams of NORTH DAKOTA STATE and New Mexico STATE.

Amen - I was going to say that if you took out the objects that identified UNLV that there is no way you could tell which team it had been written for. But you went a step further. Great job!

I don't know why so many folks on this board think that MN can turn around from two really bad years with no issue and yet UNLV is absolutely incapable of improving. I know we're all homers, but this game is no gimme. If they don't go out and excecute, they can easily lose this game. I hope they win, I think they should win, but until they do, there are no guarantees.

Lakeville-

This game is a gimmie. I know Minnesota has been burned in the recent past by inferior opponents. My belief is founded upon how Minnesota ended last season. I believe that improvement will continue. UNLV folded up the tents to end last season. Minnesota will get up on them early and will break their spirit.

Nothing would shock me, but I'd certainly be surprised if the Gophers do not win this one. In terms of this "new feel" in UNLV, what are those guys supposed to say: "Boy, things are eerily similar right now to the previous years when we sucked."

The writer, the players, are all positive about the season, something different this year. Meanwhile backhere at the ranch, the debbie are queasy about the Gophers. 6-6 would be a good year. This game is not about UNLV, the weather, Sam Boyd Stadium, The Lights of Las Vegas. Its about the Gophers execution of the game plan. The defense. The Special Teams. If we perform at our best, its over. If we play at an average level, its will be closer than it needs to be. If we simply show up, we have no chance. Which of the above do you Coach Kill and the Staff is drilling.

Do you ever feel like nobody is listening to you? You might have a better chance of being heard if you said "The sky is falling!". Your friend Chicken Little.

Top Bottom