University of Minnesota won't use Minneapolis police officers for football games, other events in wake of George Floyd death

You're one who led the charge on how the black football players had their lives ruined with the lack of due process in the sexual assault scandal. Well, George Floyd had his life ruined a hell of a lot more with a whole lot less of a due process; yet I don't get even a tenth of the anger and indignation from you now. Your "mistakes happen" now as opposed to your analogies of kangaroo courts and even lynchings back then seems incredibly illogical.

The officers will spend decades in prison. Solid proof of guilt. You don’t see the difference?

Many of the officers you see in Mpls. uniform on football Saturday are hired from other departments for the game only Now I suspect they will just show up in their department uniforms.

Many of the officers you see in Mpls. uniform on football Saturday are hired from other departments for the game only Now I suspect they will just show up in their department uniforms.
Are you saying that, for example, Roseville cops put on a Minneapolis uniform for game day?
That's not how it works. Cops always wear their own uniform, even if it's outside their area.

The officers will spend decades in prison. Solid proof of guilt. You don’t see the difference?
Oh, trust me, I see the difference. My point isn't about the guilt or innocence of anyone. The point is the difference in the reaction to what happened to black people. Floyd is murdered on camera and the reaction was, "Impossible job, mistakes happen, every organization, messy thing." Not sure how you can watch Chauvin kneel there for 9 minutes and not be pissed as hell, instead of, "Not unusual so it's not that big a deal." Entirely different from the passion and the rhetoric in the sexual assault scandal.

Try to pay attention now. It's not that Chauvin is guilty and will spend decades in prison. It's that Chauvin comes out of a police department with a decades long reputation of brutality and racism. In a city where blacks are 20% of the population, they make up 60% of the low-level crime arrests: things like traffic violations, marijuana possession, curfew violations, loitering, etc. Incidents over the years like the elderly couple dying because of a botched drug raid, Tycel Nelson, off duty cops beating up a guy in a suburban bar, the Native Americans stuffed into a trunk, the Metro Gang Strike Force, millions and millions to settle lawsuits, and 1800 rape kits sitting unprocessed are a little more than a "messy thing." Chauvin had over a dozen complaints and no action taken on them. Hell, the records aren't available thanks to the union run by Bob Kroll. The same Bob Kroll who kept MPD officers from working Lynx games because those players wore T-shirts supporting Black Lives Matter. Ya, Chauvin is going to jail. But why was he still a cop? So the difference is why the acceptance of the way the MPD runs things versus the enraged post after post about the EOAA? Not about guilt or innocence of anyone.

Are you saying that, for example, Roseville cops put on a Minneapolis uniform for game day?
That's not how it works. Cops always wear their own uniform, even if it's outside their area.
I will tell you I know some of the officers. They don't work for Mpls., but on Saturday they are in Mpls. uniforms riding around in golf carts.

Oh, trust me, I see the difference. My point isn't about the guilt or innocence of anyone. The point is the difference in the reaction to what happened to black people. Floyd is murdered on camera and the reaction was, "Impossible job, mistakes happen, every organization, messy thing." Not sure how you can watch Chauvin kneel there for 9 minutes and not be pissed as hell, instead of, "Not unusual so it's not that big a deal." Entirely different from the passion and the rhetoric in the sexual assault scandal.

Try to pay attention now. It's not that Chauvin is guilty and will spend decades in prison. It's that Chauvin comes out of a police department with a decades long reputation of brutality and racism. In a city where blacks are 20% of the population, they make up 60% of the low-level crime arrests: things like traffic violations, marijuana possession, curfew violations, loitering, etc. Incidents over the years like the elderly couple dying because of a botched drug raid, Tycel Nelson, off duty cops beating up a guy in a suburban bar, the Native Americans stuffed into a trunk, the Metro Gang Strike Force, millions and millions to settle lawsuits, and 1800 rape kits sitting unprocessed are a little more than a "messy thing." Chauvin had over a dozen complaints and no action taken on them. Hell, the records aren't available thanks to the union run by Bob Kroll. The same Bob Kroll who kept MPD officers from working Lynx games because those players wore T-shirts supporting Black Lives Matter. Ya, Chauvin is going to jail. But why was he still a cop? So the difference is why the acceptance of the way the MPD runs things versus the enraged post after post about the EOAA? Not about guilt or innocence of anyone.

Not a single person has said that. Every incident that I’ve personally seen of intentional manslaughter or murder resulted in prison time for the cop. There are numerous incidents where the officer perhaps reacted excessively but understandably to a reasonable person (Eg the Falcon Heights incident). THIS incident was clearly far in excess of acceptable conduct.

Your second paragraph is a collection of inflammatory politicized statements without appropriate context. Obviously there are issues of corruption and misconduct and antisocial officers going unchecked and that’s never ok.

Bold move by President Gabel. Someone has to take a stand on racism in the hands of police.

The bad police officers dishonor the uniform they wear to serve and protect the public. They also dishonor the majority of the police officers who are decent.

They need police reform starting with amending the 1967 Supreme Court ruling on "Qualified Immunity" given to abuse by giving police broad protection over their conduct.

The difficult part is the Minneapolis Policemen's union. How do you go about meaningful genuine reform?

Bold move by President Gabel. Someone has to take a stand on racism in the hands of police.

The bad police officers dishonor the uniform they wear to serve and protect the public. They also dishonor the majority of the police officers who are decent.

They need police reform starting with amending the 1967 Supreme Court ruling on "Qualified Immunity" given to abuse by giving police broad protection over their conduct.

The difficult part is the Minneapolis Policemen's union. How do you go about meaningful genuine reform?
I'm wondering if you blow the whole thing up and start from scratch?

Can the city hire out with the Park police, Metro Transit police, and Hennepin Sheriff? Let the MPD rot and wither on the vine?

I like to play the odds and go with the professionals over amateurs. Same reason I don’t want a dental student or medical resident doing my treatments over a dentist or physician that has completed their training.

A dental student or medical resident properly trained vs a dentist or physician who completed their years of flawed training: Ummmm, I'd take my chances on the young ones.

An experienced police officer that had years of training does not give him blanket immunity to commit murder. A lower ranked officer and two newbies said or did nothing to stop it.

Mr. Derek Chauvin had a history of being a bad cop. Bob Kroll and the Minneapolis Policeman's Union shielded him on multiple incidents.

Understand the anger of the minority community. Enough is enough.

Thing is (and this is a wild guess that could easily be proven wrong): I wonder if there is a single police academy in the cities and all the depts just send their new recruits to train there? Or maybe even, if you're in the cities and want to be a police officer, you start at this academy first, go through it, then the top of the top get the best, highest paying openings (probably Mpls and SP), then as you score lower in the tests, you drop down from there to suburban and lower paying depts.

Officers? Only one charged so far. Until we charge all 4 were going to have problems. All four need to be charged in my opinion.

Officers? Only one charged so far. Until we charge all 4 were going to have problems. All four need to be charged in my opinion.

Why would you assume they won’t? Settling on the correct charges for the others gets a little more complicated vs Chauvin. Cameras from officers, businesses need to be reviewed, questioning, dispatches, coroner report. Asking for a bit of patience while the process works is not too much to ask of reasonable people.

One thing is clear after the last week - many stereotypes have been confirmed and the divide will be just as large if not worse going forward; nothing good happened here. There is no silver lining.

^^^ protests were always peaceful in this city. Until the outside terrorists came in. They are solely to blame for Thurs and Fri night.

If you want to see the actual protests, come down to 38 & Chicago, which is a peaceful protest and a memorial to George Floyd.

Bet you won't. Bet the news crews won't. Peace doesn't get enough clicks and views.

Why would you assume they won’t? Settling on the correct charges for the others gets a little more complicated vs Chauvin. Cameras from officers, businesses need to be reviewed, questioning, dispatches, coroner report. Asking for a bit of patience while the process works is not too much to ask of reasonable people.

One thing is clear after the last week - many stereotypes have been confirmed and the divide will be just as large if not worse going forward; nothing good happened here. There is no silver lining.
Completely disagree. Charge them with police brutality, reckless endangerment and manslaughter. You can always amend and/or strike the charges later. The charges don't have to be perfect. Just charge them, get them in jail, let emotions cool, then figure out if the charges are appropriate (or settle). Not figuring that out should cost Freeman his job. The fact he has been so incompetent at his job is part of why Ellison is taking the lead.

What the hell does the bolded mean? I'm trying not to jump to some ugly assumptions, but I'm not sure what else you could have meant.

Completely disagree. Charge them with police brutality, reckless endangerment and manslaughter. You can always amend and/or strike the charges later. The charges don't have to be perfect. Just charge them, get them in jail, let emotions cool, then figure out if the charges are appropriate (or settle). Not figuring that out should cost Freeman his job. The fact he has been so incompetent at his job is part of why Ellison is taking the lead.

What the hell does the bolded mean? I'm trying not to jump to some ugly assumptions, but I'm not sure what else you could have meant.
Agree. Furthermore they don't have problems arresting other people right on the spot when a murder or crime has been committed.

Top Bottom