University of Minnesota won't use Minneapolis police officers for football games, other events in wake of George Floyd death

Lakeville Goldy

Reaction score
I'm a little scared to post this because of where it might go, but it is somewhat football related, so here it is.

I'm very surprised by the timing of this decision. It seems a little knee-jerk. I'll at least say this. How many times will someone say "we are going to review our relationship with X" after something like this, only to never hear of it again. I feel like the U of MN needs them more than they realize. We'll see what happens. Who else will they use? St. Paul?

Please prove me wrong by keeping comments tasteful and related specifically to the relationship of UMNPD and MPD...

Yeah, the response seems strange but entirely predictable. These types of decisions will undoubtedly set up stupid, dangerous and inconsistent precedents.

The officers were all fired and will likely face charges. I'm not in Minneapolis anymore so maybe I'm missing something, but from what I've read, the PD's response so far has seemed appropriate.

This would be like cutting a connection to a school because some profs did something horrific and then were fired for doing those things.

They will hire another police department and pretend their action did anything to right that horrific wrong.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but I’m guessing student demands for action by the U may have also played a factor into the decision.

IMO, this action is premature and I am uncertain of the reason. Lets gather all the facts before we make judgements.

No question, the actions of the officer was uneccessary show of forecc and probably not following a protocol. But did the victim actually die from this action or were there are factors that lead to his death? From what I heard, the officer called for medical help and the victim died at HMC and not at the scene.

Most people on twitter seem to be apluading the move. I've seen several say they will now be fans of the gophers for this.

I'm a little scared to post this because of where it might go, but it is somewhat football related, so here it is.

I'm very surprised by the timing of this decision. It seems a little knee-jerk. I'll at least say this. How many times will someone say "we are going to review our relationship with X" after something like this, only to never hear of it again. I feel like the U of MN needs them more than they realize. We'll see what happens. Who else will they use? St. Paul?

Please prove me wrong by keeping comments tasteful and related specifically to the relationship of UMNPD and MPD...
Several options in addition to StP PD...Roseville, Brooklyn Park, Bloomington PDs, Henn or Ramsey Cty sheriffs.

St.Paul, Roseville(?) Hennepin County Security(?)

Yeah, the response seems strange but entirely predictable. These types of decisions will undoubtedly set up stupid, dangerous and inconsistent precedents.

The officers were all fired and will likely face charges. I'm not in Minneapolis anymore so maybe I'm missing something, but from what I've read, the PD's response so far has seemed appropriate.

This would be like cutting a connection to a school because some profs did something horrific and then were fired for doing those things.

They will hire another police department and pretend their action did anything to right that horrific wrong.

I am thinking that this will be reviewed again later.

IMO, this action is premature and I am uncertain of the reason. Lets gather all the facts before we make judgements.

No question, the actions of the officer was uneccessary show of forecc and probably not following a protocol. But did the victim actually die from this action or were there are factors that lead to his death? From what I heard, the officer called for medical help and the victim died at HMC and not at the scene.
I am not sure why it matters whether he was declared dead at the scene or at the hospital, and we'll probably all see the reports eventually, but my understanding is that he was unresponsive at the scene and despite efforts to resuscitate him he was later declared dead at the hospital. I don't really care whether Mr. Floyd was diabetic, had a bad heart or was completely healthy. The officer pinned his neck with his knee for several minutes and he died while three other officers stood by and watched it happen. This isn't the first incident involving the MPD and, while as others have noted the decision can always be revisited, I can see why President Gable felt it was appropriate to act now. My guess is that the vast majority of the students and faculty will support her decision. (Not suggesting that she should base her decision on that, just pointing out that she probably won't get much blow back from the people she interacts with on a daily basis. More interesting to see if she gets any legislative push back.)

I wonder if the Minneapolis PD would ever refuse to work Gopher football games if, God forbid, a Gopher football player had killed someone.

I'm guessing the answer is NO, they would never do that.

Certainly a knee jerk reaction. Not sure if I missed it or not. Was there ever any mention of a racial bias? Did the PD do more than necessary because the captured was black?

No doubt everyone needs to have all the facts. The paramedics noted he was pulseless and non responsive when they arrived on the scene. They shocked him multiple times en route to HCMC without response. This is a traumatic event for many members of our community and the videos are gut wrenching.

It's a great decision that is being nationally-lauded. Sends a message to the students that their safety is most important and the U will not look the other way just for convenience.

I'm certain the president of the University didn't just wake up and decide to do this. She is an educated, pragmatic woman to get to the position she is in. I'm sure she looked at the consequences if she made this decision and what resources she had to make things work without the MPD.

Hopefully more police departments will see this consequence and realize what lack of training or bad hiring will cost them. Trust me, this one hurts the checkbook. Plenty of officers love that OT pay for off-duty work like football games and events. So maybe one of them will intervene next time their colleague is using excessive force.

Now that all four lost their jobs, I'd be curious how much the other three are regretting not stepping in and doing something when they could have?

Certainly a knee jerk reaction. Not sure if I missed it or not. Was there ever any mention of a racial bias? Did the PD do more than necessary because the captured was black?

Keep pushing your agenda. Wow.

What's knee jerk is that a dude had his life extinguished in less than 10 minutes for NO good reason. The University's decision is not about race. It's about the fact that people don't feel safe around the Minneapolis PD. Racial bias? Unreal. Last time I checked killing a dude for suspected forgery was enough to tarnish an organization's reputation.

I mean.....all he had to do, was glance down and see the guy was out (or dead).

GLANCE DOWN.

Why wouldn't he? Cuz he already knew, or didn't care. I mean, the only part i struggle with is...how on earth did he think he would get away with it? Even with all the protections of the badge and fraternity, it's so egregious - even the most cynical, mean, un-empathetic posters here agree that this was murder. What kind of hatred spurs this amount of self risk? What sort of malevolent thinking allows someone to face these consequences? I'm pretty sure it's not about a (possibly) fake $20 bill.

Racism.

But let’s call it what it is: if the guy wasn’t black, he’d be alive today, because the officer wouldn’t have pushed his knee into he guy’s neck for an extra five minutes after he passed out.

Wake up and smell the coffee. The Minneapolis police department has been run by the police union since the 1970's, if not before. They have a nation-wide reputation for being rogues and beyond the control of anyone besides their own union leadership. Good riddance to them. The U doesn't need them. There are many other alternatives for the U to hire cops to work their events.

Several options in addition to StP PD...Roseville, Brooklyn Park, Bloomington PDs, Henn or Ramsey Cty sheriffs.

that’s assuming those police departments would take the job. Those officers and their unions may show solidarity with MPD and say thanks but no thanks to the U.

that’s assuming those police departments would take the job. Those officers and their unions may show solidarity with MPD and say thanks but no thanks to the U.

Cops need the U much more than the U needs cops. It's not going to be a problem.

Cops need the U much more than the U needs cops. It's not going to be a problem.
Really they don’t. There are plenty of opportunities for cops to pick up side work if they want it at other establishments. It also hurts they University PD Department potentially in a backup
type situation where Minneapolis PD officers might and likely are the closest to respond in many areas of campus

No one has answered my question. Did the PD say” since this dude is black, I will keep on the ground longer in order to do more punishment”? If so then what ever punishment doled out to the officers is warranted. But wouldtheir actions been different if the dude was white? I don’t know and neither do you. Certainly the communications would give some light.

There are many, many, many private security firms and individuals who would jump at the chance to make some extra money at games and events. The university will have no trouble finding people to work.

No one has answered my question. Did the PD say” since this dude is black, I will keep on the ground longer in order to do more punishment”? If so then what ever punishment doled out to the officers is warranted. But wouldtheir actions been different if the dude was white? I don’t know and neither do you. Certainly the communications would give some light.

Dude, are you serious? Human killed for no reason. What don't you get about that?

Right, because every racist announces their racism to the world, especially on camera... /s

There are many, many, many private security firms and individuals who would jump at the chance to make some extra money at games and events. The university will have no trouble finding people to work.
So rent a cops with even less training, nothing could go wrong there

Seems like a smart move. No football for at least 3 months and very few students on campus for the next 3 months so in the short-term, this doesn't change much at all in terms of policing campus. At the same time, it makes students feel safer and shows that the U isn't ignoring it. It leaves more than enough time to find other law enforcement agencies to do the work the Minneapolis police did at football games if they still feel it's necessary to stop using Minneapolis police, or they can bring back Minneapolis police if there are changes within the Minneapolis police department.

what about the other angle...….so now do U of M athletes have a bigger target for Minneapolis police to be chasing? we all know that in many college towns, the college athletes are given a lot of breaks by the police.

Your question has been answered already.

Top Bottom