University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel will recommend to the Board of Regents next week that fall classes be held in-person and residence halls

It is hard to tell because every single protester exposed potentially will have infected other people when they went home to their families or homes. Then, the ones they infected can potentially spread out fast. At that point, they may be asymptomatic.

Let's hope that because of the warming weather and rising humidity that the pores of Covid-19 were/are less airborne.

If they decide to have the players/athletes return to campus, they better confine them somehow to shelter in place and limit contact. This is crazy horrible, a bad sci-fi movie coming to life. At least, there are probably no zombies.
For sure that’s why a projected spread would be in 3-5 weeks from the mass gathering...not the 3-14 day incubation period.

The Big Ten Presidents and Chancellors meeting will be held on June 7.

I wonder if they will allow return to On-campus Voluntary Workouts on June 15 for all teams. Illinois has already started 6/3-6/8 in waves of 45). See the rest of the Big Ten below. I don't know if the Illinois announcement includes football.

The question is, will they decide on the same return dates for fairness? What about Illinois that has already started? I am guessing we will hear some announcement(s) next week.

Illinois: June 3-8 (waves of 35-45 student-athletes)
Indiana: June 15
Iowa: June 8
Maryland: June 15
Michigan: TBD
Michigan State: June 15
Minnesota: TBD
Nebraska: TBD
Northwestern: TBD
Ohio State: June 8
Penn State: June 15
Purdue: TBD
Rutgers: TBD
Wisconsin: TBD

Best thing would be for the whole team to get infected now, minus Casey, then we don't have to worry about during the season...

Per someone who works in Morrill Hall --- we will not be done on thanksgiving, we will merely be done with in person instruction and move to online instruction until the end of term.

The Big Ten Presidents and Chancellors meeting will be held on June 7.

I wonder if they will allow return to On-campus Voluntary Workouts on June 15 for all teams. Illinois has already started 6/3-6/8 in waves of 45). See the rest of the Big Ten below. I don't know if the Illinois announcement includes football.

The question is, will they decide on the same return dates for fairness? What about Illinois that has already started? I am guessing we will hear some announcement(s) next week.

Illinois: June 3-8 (waves of 35-45 student-athletes)
Indiana: June 15
Iowa: June 8
Maryland: June 15
Michigan: TBD
Michigan State: June 15
Minnesota: TBD
Nebraska: TBD
Northwestern: TBD
Ohio State: June 8
Penn State: June 15
Purdue: TBD
Rutgers: TBD
Wisconsin: TBD
With Ohio St announcing that they be getting back to work on June 8, and the SEC allowing all its schools to get back to work I think a couple weeks ago ... I just don't see the Big Ten throwing the breaks on Ohio St. I see them letting the schools decide when to allow their athletes back on campus for team activities starting as soon as June 8.

If it was known that there would only be a Big Ten conf season, and no non-conf and no post season, that would be one thing. But I think this fall season is trending towards happening as close to normal as humanely possible. Everyone is just counting on the money, so much.

Most college/universities are going this route. The tricky thing is figuring out how to provide in-person instruction and housing while still following social distancing guidelines. Do you run "half classes"? Do you mix online with in-person? Do you got 1 person to a dorm room -- and what are the options once space runs out? Tough decision to be made.

And to the point above about college-aged kids not being at risk: that's really not the point and never has been. It's about all the people those college-aged kids go out and infect after they've picked it up and remained asymptomatic.

Kiddo attends school in the last state to join the Union. Stayed there as the virus took hold and everything school went online.

Hard discussions since then that online won't do in the Fall. Fortunately, it looks like a long plane flight is on the horizon.

Here on the home front, looking forward to being in 211 again this Fall.

The lock-downs are over. Cooping people up for several months creates a lot of negative energy, it should never be done again unless we have a 1918 level disease. Individuals and families have a responsibility to protect their vulnerable until dependable therapies are found, or the virus weakens and disappears on its own. Now go live people.

The lock-downs are over. Cooping people up for several months creates a lot of negative energy, it should never be done again unless we have a 1918 level disease. Individuals and families have a responsibility to protect their vulnerable until dependable therapies are found, or the virus weakens and disappears on its own. Now go live people.
Yes. I think it was smart at the time to lockdown.

but we locked down too late and not restrictive enough to eradicate the disease. Everyone is eventually going to get it. Only thing that matters now is that people who get it get the best medical care possible. People saying wait to reopen for a cure need to realize there may never be a cure.

Yes. I think it was smart at the time to lockdown.

but we locked down too late and not restrictive enough to eradicate the disease. Everyone is eventually going to get it. Only thing that matters now is that people who get it get the best medical care possible. People saying wait to reopen for a cure need to realize there may never be a cure.
Social distancing can still be powerful. And possibly mutations in the virus will make it weaker.

If we can keep it slow enough in the summer, with people interacting mainly outside, I think there could be a chance that some significant percentage of people never get infected. I plan on never getting infected. We’ll see.

So at this point ... what is the damn hold up with announcing when football (at least) can get back to work??????

NW (for cripes sake) said football is back June 22.

Let’s go! Are we really going to hamstring our team going into this season, with everything that we accomplished last year?? COME ON

Best thing would be for the whole team to get infected now, minus Casey, then we don't have to worry about during the season...

Yeah it's the sad situation where ... you know you're going to get exposed ... so when? Durring the school year? or summer?

This is a new world that we have woken up unto in 2020.

Some companies are already talking about changing business practices with more people working remotely. As far as classroom vs online learning, they have to be creative in scheduling and arrangements. Someone will come up with ingenious solutions.

The hard part is figuring out the social distancing angle in football and other contact sports.

Most college/universities are going this route. The tricky thing is figuring out how to provide in-person instruction and housing while still following social distancing guidelines. Do you run "half classes"? Do you mix online with in-person? Do you got 1 person to a dorm room -- and what are the options once space runs out? Tough decision to be made.

And to the point above about college-aged kids not being at risk: that's really not the point and never has been. It's about all the people those college-aged kids go out and infect after they've picked it up and remained asymptomatic.

I work with K-12 education and there are a lot of the same questions about the instruction part of the equation. It's a little less complicated for higher education because transportation of students isn't directly involved and that's going to be a tough nut to crack for the K-12 system. The dorm part will be the tricky thing for higher ed.

I work with K-12 education and there are a lot of the same questions about the instruction part of the equation. It's a little less complicated for higher education because transportation of students isn't directly involved and that's going to be a tough nut to crack for the K-12 system. The dorm part will be the tricky thing for higher ed.
They’ll just come up with some arbitrary level of capacity reduction and call it good. There is no precedent. Anything that reduces capacity, and “tries” to make a good faith effort to do something helpful, can’t be indemnified as negligent.

I feel like the closer we get to fall things will become a bit more 'fatalistic' and folks will have come to terms with "You're going to be exposed.... so how much do we do?"

I think we'll see layers of prevention steps slowly peeled off bit by bit.

That’s exactly why I made the posts this morning — the BOR isn’t voting on the plan until July !!!

Are we really not going to allow ourteams to start practicing until July, when the rest of the Big Ten has been going since at least late June??

COME ON. Get your asses in gear!

I feel like the closer we get to fall things will become a bit more 'fatalistic' and folks will have come to terms with "You're going to be exposed.... so how much do we do?"

I think we'll see layers of prevention steps slowly peeled off bit by bit.
It’s not guaranteed. I would wild guess that still only 10-20% or less of Americans have been infected. Maybe by fall it rises to 30-40%. Wild guessing

If people are willing to wear masks and maintain distancing, it can slow it down, until the vaccines are ready.

Like I’ve said, I still plan on never getting infected. Guy on our block did, young guy (30’s), and said it was like the worst cold he ever had by far, and still has lingering odd side effects but is mostly better.

But at the same time, the only modifications to my normal life that I plan on following in the near term are keeping distance from people and wearing masks (mostly indoors). Not going into a bunker.

From two days ago. If Tanner has access to the practice field, I’m sure others do as well.

^^ that's individual work. The NCAA and Big Ten I believe said that could resume, as of this week? For that matter, it could just be the post by user "qbmotion" was 2 days ago, but that clip could be from last fall?

I'm talking team activities. Weight rooms, conditioning drills. Then later film study and practice.

^^ that's individual work. The NCAA and Big Ten I believe said that could resume, as of this week? For that matter, it could just be the post by user "qbmotion" was 2 days ago, but that clip could be from last fall?

I'm talking team activities. Weight rooms, conditioning drills. Then later film study and practice.

It’s probably a current post. They work with Tanner all the time, and post those clips frequently.

Coney Durr was training with Tyrone Carter on the field in the last couple days. Man, he looks sharp on those drills.

Thanks for clarifying. Great looking individual work.

NW says that team activities for football can begin June 22. What does the U of MN say ????????

OK -- so for that matter ... clearly the U of MN has told student-athletes that they are allowed to use university facilities for individual workouts.

Where is the public announcement for this??? Come on STrib, get on this.

University of Minnesota regents approve fall campus reopening plan, with no early start date for the semester. The U still plans to have in-person instruction conclude by Thanksgiving.

The vote isn’t until July??

Does anyone have a clue what is going on??

Top Bottom