University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel will recommend to the Board of Regents next week that fall classes be held in-person and residence halls

They must have a plan for if an outbreak occurs in a residence hall or are confident they can keep social distancing measures in place enough to limit any spread. I'd also wonder what the liability is, if someone is immunocompromised, are they being provided the resources they need to attend classes remotely? or are they getting a refund on the semester if they don't attend?

Concluding by thanksgiving seems to be a way to limit potential spread. With tons of students going back home and then coming back to campus, I bet they are worried that if MN is doing well on the spread but another state is having an outbreak that it could cause an outbreak right before finals.

Honestly, not surprised by this announcement...just hope they are taking the right precautions to keep everyone safe. If I was a professor over 65 I'd be asking what the precautions are right now. They see hundreds of students a day, so they will get exposed if not careful.

They must have a plan for if an outbreak occurs in a residence hall or are confident they can keep social distancing measures in place enough to limit any spread. I'd also wonder what the liability is, if someone is immunocompromised, are they being provided the resources they need to attend classes remotely? or are they getting a refund on the semester if they don't attend?

Concluding by thanksgiving seems to be a way to limit potential spread. With tons of students going back home and then coming back to campus, I bet they are worried that if MN is doing well on the spread but another state is having an outbreak that it could cause an outbreak right before finals.

Honestly, not surprised by this announcement...just hope they are taking the right precautions to keep everyone safe. If I was a professor over 65 I'd be asking what the precautions are right now. They see hundreds of students a day, so they will get exposed if not careful.

Other way around.

They want all the young people in close quarters so they can infect them and barricade them in the dooms!!!

-insert panic about 'generational warfare'-

It’s a no brainer: 1) you need students on campus to have a product/experience that people will pay top dollar for, and 2) other Big Ten schools are doing the same.

Onwards and upwards, towards the path to regain normalcy.

Pretty obvious this was going to happen; but, oh man, the details and scenarios that have to be worked out.

But to show how shallow I am, one of my thoughts is, "God, I hope Tanner Morgan doesn't get it and has to be quarantined."

I can’t believe people are worried about liability

If someone is immune compromised and they catch the flu in the dorms is the school liable?
What about a cold?
What about TB?

How can you prove where you caught a virus ?

I can’t believe people are worried about liability

If someone is immune compromised and they catch the flu in the dorms is the school liable?
What about a cold?
What about TB?

How can you prove where you caught a virus ?

Fair point. Through contact tracing and other means you can have a pretty good idea when someone might have been exposed to the virus but would seem next to impossible to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt when someone was infected.

Everyone is in uncharted territory on this one. They'll do lots of planning and there will be a lot of learning as you go.

Mitigation of the virus spreaders - those who are asymptomatic is going to be very challenging. I sincerely hope that they will deploy contact tracers - a good opportunity for part time jobs for college kids who need a job during the school year.

Group consciousness and adherence to protocols is going to be so important. It will take just a handful of irresponsible individuals to bring infection threat.

At least President Gabel is trying and not waiting and staying on the sideline.

I think all the athletes and athletic village, the staffers and coaches are going to be on Devcon 1 as far as protocol and testing is concerned. Where will all the athletes stay? How do they control and isolate students who develop symptoms or contracted the coronavirus?

If/when there isn't a 2nd wave of infections/deaths as predicted, will people start to understand how overblown the initial reaction was?

Bring back school
Bring back football
Bring back normal

Kill racism

If/when there isn't a 2nd wave of infections/deaths as predicted, will people start to understand how overblown the initial reaction was?

Bring back school
Bring back football
Bring back normal

Kill racism
What happens now and going forward has nothing to do with the initial reaction to this. With the info known in March, it was the right move IMO. Way too many unknowns at that point.

What happens now and going forward has nothing to do with the initial reaction to this. With the info known in March, it was the right move IMO. Way too many unknowns at that point.
I don't disagree. But if hindsight is 20/20, the numbers (as overblown as they are) would suggest the reaction wasn't necessary.

I don't disagree. But if hindsight is 20/20, the numbers (as overblown as they are) would suggest the reaction wasn't necessary.
60K deaths in a month period would say otherwise. I think it was necessary to get things figured out. It shouldn't have taken so long to get things figured out but that's a different argument.

60K deaths in a month period would say otherwise. I think it was necessary to get things figured out. It shouldn't have taken so long to get things figured out but that's a different argument.

The reaction was inspired by intelligence reports on the Chinese response to the early days of the virus. They knew it came from their research lab but they weren't sure which one had gotten out. Thankfully it was one of the milder ones.

Hopefully, the next time we will prepared with USA manufactured pharmaceutical and PPE.

and Lincoln should not have gone to that play.

Seriously - this is a brand new virus. I heard an interview with a doctor from the Mayo Clinic - so I assume he's not some hack - and he kept saying "I don't know" or "we don't know" when asked about various aspects of covid-19.

I do not think this was any conspiracy or evil plot. People made the best decisions they could based on the information they had at the time. Shoot - based on the federal government's own guidelines, Minnesota is opening up faster than recommended, because their case # are still going up.

and Lincoln should not have gone to that play.

Seriously - this is a brand new virus. I heard an interview with a doctor from the Mayo Clinic - so I assume he's not some hack - and he kept saying "I don't know" or "we don't know" when asked about various aspects of covid-19.

I do not think this was any conspiracy or evil plot. People made the best decisions they could based on the information they had at the time. Shoot - based on the federal government's own guidelines, Minnesota is opening up faster than recommended, because their case # are still going up.
I'm not in disagreement with the reaction. I hunkered down for a few weeks too. But, if I had known then what I see now, I would have taken other action.

My point being, let's open the classrooms & football stadiums and let's get back to what normal was sooner instead of later. And without all that "unknown fear".

SKIUMAH!

There's no baseball.

No State Fair.

They skipped the tornado siren test some places last week.

For the love of God please let me go to a Gopher Football game!!!!

I think the U is protecting revenue streams. This is promising for a football season
Wonder what the additional expenses to do this will add up to. Students, parents, staff and instructors will make decisions based on their risk and comfort levels.

One thing to watch that may impact the return of students to campus, and thus football and other sports is the mass protest.

I fear an acceleration of an even greater surge of the virus.

What is it, it takes three weeks before you get full blown CoVid-19 symptoms?

One thing to watch that may impact the return of students to campus, and thus football and other sports is the mass protest.

2 days to 2 weeks I think.

STrib: On-campus students is a step toward Gophers sports with fans in stands.

Students could return to the University of Minnesota campus for fall semester, keeping hope alive for a Gophers sports comeback as well.

University President Joan Gabel wrote Friday in a letter to students, faculty and staff that she is recommending the Board of Regents allow in-person classes to resume this coming semester. Instruction had been online since spring break because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Gabel also will also advocate for finishing classes before Thanksgiving.

The board will vote on this plan Thursday and Friday.

The main takeaway

Should the university decide no students can return to campus in the fall, that likely would mean fall sports would also halt. If Gabel’s recommendation passes, sports’ return becomes probable. But in what form is vague.

It seems likely there will be either no fans at football games in the fall or at least significantly reduced capacity. That’s according to some plans from programs such as Iowa State, which has already announced it’s unlikely to sell single-game tickets for this season. With about 22,000 current season-ticket holders, Iowa State anticipates it will fill the 50% capacity limit of the 60,500-seat stadium.

Shortening the season to only conference play, even delaying the season to start in winter, are options. But with football as the largest revenue-generating sport in college athletics, the NCAA and universities alike seem committed to having some sort of 2020 season.

What’s next?

The NCAA has cleared on-campus team activities, and Big Ten football programs such as Ohio State and Iowa plan to return to workouts Monday. Nebraska is already back this week.

The Gophers men’s basketball team is eyeing a June 21 return to campus, according to sources, though that hasn’t been made official. Whenever the athletics department begins bringing student-athletes back, it will be a staggered approach, allowing the football team back first, for example, before allowing the next round of teams a week or so later.

Yahoo Sports reported Thursday the NCAA Division I council, which meets next week, could formalize what football practices will look like this summer, including a six-week training camp.

What’s at stake?

The Gophers’ athletics department already has lost $10 million in revenue from canceled spring sports and could miss out on $75 million if there are no fall sports. A scenario with games played and no fans in the stands would result in the Gophers losing about $30 million.

To rectify some of this financial fallout, Athletic Director Mark Coyle as well as other senior staff and head coaches have taken pay cuts while the department continues to look at other ways to tighten the budget.

Go Gophers!!

Alternately, the numbers could/would have been much worse if stay-at-home orders and social distancing guidelines hadn’t been implemented and adhered to for several months, making a very reasonable argument that the actions were indeed necessary.

If there is a big surge in 2 weeks because of protests last week...might actually bode well for football because second surge will have died down by late August

If there is a big surge in 2 weeks because of protests last week...might actually bode well for football because second surge will have died down by late August

It is hard to tell because every single protester exposed potentially will have infected other people when they went home to their families or homes. Then, the ones they infected can potentially spread out fast. At that point, they may be asymptomatic.

Let's hope that because of the warming weather and rising humidity that the pores of Covid-19 were/are less airborne.

If they decide to have the players/athletes return to campus, they better confine them somehow to shelter in place and limit contact. This is crazy horrible, a bad sci-fi movie coming to life. At least, there are probably no zombies.

Top Bottom