University of Minnesota on 60 Minutes

Excellent points.

Wow! Ageism... the last bastion of acceptable prejudice. Racists and misogynists are now generally looked down upon in civilized circles, but it's still quite acceptable — even very, very cool — to belittle older people for the simple fact that they've lived longer.

If I said millennials are clueless, entitled, callow twits who do nothing but stare at their phones all day without a cogent thought in their heads, I would be attacked — and I would richly deserve to be called out for generalizing and inaccuracy.

Seniors, on the other hand, are still fair game. So carry on.
Boomers are all seniors at this point.
For every stereotype there is an ounce of truth and the rest is generalization.
Its all a bullshit warped social/MS media perversion to create an us vs. them narrative. Old people have criticized the young generation as lazy bums since the beginning of time.

Fair enough, but only1.6 million (per what I've seen post prior)?

That seems like a drop in the bucket comparative to their overall budget, doesn't it?

It was also a little departmental slight-of-hand too. Unlike other schools until recently, the teams got none of the parking money. Add in that Minnesota, unlike most other schools, charged full out of state tuition to the programs. Not sure how/if the scholarship money was handled in the accounting.

Athletic departments at most schools are in weird places.

The vast majority of times they're straight up not self sustaining / money makers.

They're made up of both revenue generating and non revenue generating sports.

I get how folks kinda turn their head at the costs / salaries of commercial athletics within the context of an educational institution.

Taking a non or less revenue generating sport and taking it to the next level takes time and a hell of a lot of investment $$$$ ....

It's not an easy place to be.

Reusse should go around to all the universities that cater to football and cut non-revenue sports, and explain how wrong they are. Obviously he knows something something these dozens of athletic departments don’t know.

If anyone thinks mark Coyle just didn’t do the interview because of his own decision they don’t get how things work.

Coyle, the president, and the university’s media team likely had a conversation and determined while it would look bad to not do an interview...a statement was the best way to handle it. A lot of people are going to be mad regardless of what is said but the story is largely going to be contained and not blow up. While a misstep in an interview setting has potential to blow things up both locally and nationally.

While it’s a bad look to not do the interview, I think it was smart to not do the interview.

The local reporters not doing the interview have every right to say it’s a bad look. I think more people than not in the state would prefer men’s gymnasts not get scholarships. (I have no data to back that up)
And let's be honest Coyle is not a good speaker and even looks nervous when talking about positive things. He knows it's best to stay off camera as much as possible.

The U of M has been one of the longest standing Universities in pushing athletics outside of the major money makers (Maturi, I believe, got roasted for this for years for putting money into these other sports rather than putting it into football, basketball, and hockey) and now they are falling in line with other places. People wanted us to compete in football, which costs money to recruit in this era. Now people don't like it when that leads to fall out on other areas.

The number of reporters chiming in about how Coyle wouldn't answer questions and how it's a "bad look". Has any reporter ever said when someone doesn't do an interview it's a "good look"? Declining to participate in what was likely to be a "gotcha" interview is something I don't blame him for. He's answered questions locally about this

Reusse should go around to all the universities that cater to football and cut non-revenue sports, and explain how wrong they are. Obviously he knows something something these dozens of athletic departments don’t know.
He's always the smartest person in the room. Just ask him.

It was also a little departmental slight-of-hand too. Unlike other schools until recently, the teams got none of the parking money. Add in that Minnesota, unlike most other schools, charged full out of state tuition to the programs. Not sure how/if the scholarship money was handled in the accounting.

Thanks for the info - I'm not a fan of creative accounting.

And let's be honest Coyle is not a good speaker and even looks nervous when talking about positive things. He knows it's best to stay off camera as much as possible.

I mean he's 'in the neighborhood'.... :O

I like Mark Coyle a lot but he screwed up by refusing to explain the U's decision on 60 minutes. It gave CBS the opportunity to make the case that the University of Minnesota is turning into just another college football factory like so many of the schools in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12. Historically, Big 10 schools have always been better than that with their emphasis on academics, excellence, and integrity.

Go Gophers!!
And it was a disaster for that guy. Leslie Stahl asked some really good questions and he came across exactly as the greedy, dishonest crook that he is. He obviously thought he could BS his way through it.

Pat chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Reusse is such a dummy. He first says that football is not a self-sustaining business....but then he says that the TV revenue from football should be split between as many students as possible. So they aren't self sustaining, and they shouldn't use the revenue from the TV deals to support the team?

HUH?

Media types who’ve never lead or even managed an organization can only share opinions. There is no point in engaging in an interview that is not interested in the entire story. 24 hour news cycle. The Gophers are not even in the top half in football spending. Show some balance in your reporting. How do you have gymnastics with 13 teams? It makes no sense economically or from a sustainability standpoint.

This always reminds me of the local level when an athletic association offers multiple in-house sports and an individual sport wants to break off and have it's own control. They all need each other for the best success, but none of them care about anything other than the sport they are involved in. Strong programs build the community. This is no different at the College level.

I'm sure it was discussed internally by a whole lot of people who make too much money.

It's time to end college sports. It has turned into an endeavor that enriches very few on the backs of the unpaid labor of many. And if your unpaid labor isn't profitable to the AD, then you're cast aside.
Interesting take for someone on a site devoted to promoting a college sport.

Yeah. I don’t think he would be able to say anything that would’ve prevented the same complaints from the same people.

probably no change in reaction.

At the same time, he has in the past said things “like cultural change” in regards to football program, that fueled fires rather than put them out.
He isn’t good at making listeners hear nuance. And nuance is the only thing that can really explain the decision to cut sports.

I like Mark Coyle a lot but he screwed up by refusing to explain the U's decision on 60 minutes. It gave CBS the opportunity to make the case that the University of Minnesota is turning into just another college football factory like so many of the schools in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12. Historically, Big 10 schools have always been better than that with their emphasis on academics, excellence, and integrity.
Honestly, the impression that the u of m is a football factory is probably a better look long term for the athletic dept.

Media types who’ve never lead or even managed an organization can only share opinions. There is no point in engaging in an interview that is not interested in the entire story. 24 hour news cycle. The Gophers are not even in the top half in football spending. Show some balance in your reporting. How do you have gymnastics with 13 teams? It makes no sense economically or from a sustainability standpoint.

That would have been an excellent point for Coyle to make along with the fact that it is not a sanctioned High School sport in Minnesota. I do have great empathy for the Gopher gymnastics team and coaches, but Covid or not the writing was on the wall.

My contention is Coyle (and the Gopher Admin as a whole) all putting their heads in the sand. Own it.

I think PJF should take over the coaching of the gymnastic team, he looks more like a gymnast.

Most of the people mortally offended about Coyle not interviewing with 60 Minutes are other media members. There's nothing they take greater offense to than lack of access. It's why Joe Biden calling an early "lid" during the campaign was as big of a deal as Trump telling a few dozen lies. The lack of access is the greater sin to them.

I tend to think that someone at the U of M upper levels decided that Coyle should not do an on-camera interview. Because, let's face it, Coyle is not a very good public speaker and often looks uncomfortable in public settings, even when he is not facing potentially hostile questions.

Again, Coyle may be an able administrator and a good behind-the-scenes guy, but as a front-man for the U of M athletic department, he does not present a commanding figure.

As to Reusse, his big argument is not with gymnastics - it's with Men's Track being on the chopping block. Because - in part - the U just invested a lot of money to upgrade its track facilities. and then they decide to cut men's track? that doesn't make sense. to clarify, Indoor track is scheduled to be eliminated. outdoor track "will be evaluated" in the Spring.

I tend to think that someone at the U of M upper levels decided that Coyle should not do an on-camera interview. Because, let's face it, Coyle is not a very good public speaker and often looks uncomfortable in public settings, even when he is not facing potentially hostile questions.

Again, Coyle may be an able administrator and a good behind-the-scenes guy, but as a front-man for the U of M athletic department, he does not present a commanding figure.

As to Reusse, his big argument is not with gymnastics - it's with Men's Track being on the chopping block. Because - in part - the U just invested a lot of money to upgrade its track facilities. and then they decide to cut men's track? that doesn't make sense. to clarify, Indoor track is scheduled to be eliminated. outdoor track "will be evaluated" in the Spring.
Most good AD's are like this. If the AD is the front-person it's often because there are tons of issues going on. If people are focused on teams and coaches, they are doing their job.

I think it's as simple as the people above him not feeling a need to answer to national media. Not all athletic departments and institutions are created equal.

If Coyle isn't front man material... I'm ok with that. Need good administrators too....

I've seen Coyle kinda fumble around when he was more the face of things and I'm glad to see him ... not / maybe recognize that isn't his strong suit. That's ok. I've made fun of Coyles plenty, and it's ok with me if he is doing a great job elsewhere and not out front on this topic.

There's lots of different roles top admins can play. Back in the day I knew a school district that hired a straight up accountant with almost no real education experience. Dude showed up, delegated educational stuff to others, and redid their finances over a few years and saved them / got them organized in that way in a way they desperately needed. Just one of those situations where someone's strengths might be something unexpected entirely and they're still good at that job.

As for upgrading the track and such, rather not get into a sunk cost type situation there. Bummer in terms of timing but doesn't make the decision to do so inherently wrong.

He is the Cliche cranky boomer. "Everything was better back in my day" type of guy. The demolition business is a lot easier than the construction business. The olds love him.
Lol. I'm a boomer and strongly dislike/ disagree with him. I have not read his column in over 20 years.

Excellent points.

Wow! Ageism... the last bastion of acceptable prejudice. Racists and misogynists are now generally looked down upon in civilized circles, but it's still quite acceptable — even very, very cool — to belittle older people for the simple fact that they've lived longer.

If I said millennials are clueless, entitled, callow twits who do nothing but stare at their phones all day without a cogent thought in their heads, I would be attacked — and I would richly deserve to be called out for generalizing and inaccuracy.

Seniors, on the other hand, are still fair game. So carry on.
I didn't take from TurfGopher's post that ALL seniors are cranky. Just "Reusse".

Fair enough, but only1.6 million (per what I've seen post prior)?

That seems like a drop in the bucket comparative to their overall budget, doesn't it?
It sounds like the 1.6 million is what they save by cutting the 3 programs. My question is: If this is also a Title IX issue, does this mean they would have needed to add additional women's programs or scholarships in order to keep these sports? If so, is that included in the 1.6 million? Is that additional money that would be needed on top of the 1.6 million?

Still seems like a small amount and sucks royally for these 3 sports that are being cut. Feel for them.

And it’s not 1.6 million
It’s 1.6 million with “legs”

You can cut painting the staircases. You can cut replacing seats. You can cut a lot of short terms costs but they eventually have to get paid and done.

A cut to a program is a long term cut. You save money every year. Gymnastics is cut next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

Cutting people, salaries, benefits, and scholarships that need to be endowed are the only long term cuts

MN was featured, but as 60 Minutes pointed out, cutting sports is the trend nationwide. Gymnastics has gone from commonplace (150+ schools in the ‘70’s) to just a select few (13) schools now.

And if your the gymnastics coach and you think you can devise a way to make your sport revenue neutral, maybe you should just go ahead and do that, not offer up that you had a plan to maybe pull it off someday after they tell you your getting cut.

Reality is, due to Title IX, to be really revenue neutral as a men's sport, you need to also fund as many female scholarships as you budget for in your own sport.

I don't think Gymnastics becoming revenue neutral is the issue because the U would still need to add a women's sport to the mix to meet title IX and it's unlikely that sport would also finde a way to be revenue neutral as well.

My question in regards to gymnastics and several other sports is what role do they serve at a University. It's my belief that if your parents were able to afford for you to train gymnastics to the point where you received a scholarship, they just as easily could have put that money (probably much less TBH) towards paying for your college tuition. There are a number of sports like gymnastics where the barrier of entry is so great ($$$) that few kids are going to school because of their talents in that sport. Why should colleges be in the business of offering scholarships to kids for participating in extra curricular activities against (almost exclusively) other financially well off kids? What percentage of kids in the country truly has a chance to compete for those scholarships?

Coyle not speaking is a bad look, but it's also a situation where speaking the truth would be considered outrageous. If any AD came out and said "Look, 95% of my boosters care about football and basketball and I get fired if those don't go well. Spending my time on field hockey or soccer when they lose X amount of dollars a year, nobody goes to the games and many people don't even know we field those teams is not the best use of my time or my budget." He'd be considered an a hole, people here would rip him...and nobody would actually start going to field hockey matches (games? I know the U doesn't have this sport) or donating $ to support that program.

Top Bottom