University of Minnesota on 60 Minutes

FredCoxRocks

Reaction score
The U of M got plenty of air time and was showcased on 60 Minutes this evening discussing colleges around the country eliminating sports they say is a result of Covid. Coyle, Fleck, the football program, were all discussed but I found the interviews with the men's gymnastics coach a good watch. I'm sure you'll be able to find this episode streaming soon on the usual sites, etc.
Oh, and Coyle declined to comment or be interviewed.

More time than Clemson. I actually think this may have helped our football program more than their play this year. The statement was, “football is most important.”

The U definitely got the most air time. Compelling argument being made by Coach Burns. I learned they devised a business plan to be self sustaining but it was rejected. Also, cutting these programs for a reduction of 1.6 million does seem small in the big picture.

The U definitely got the most air time. Compelling argument being made by Coach Burns. I learned they devised a business plan to be self sustaining but it was rejected. Also, cutting these programs for a reduction of 1.6 million does seem small in the big picture.
If funding is the only factor, it does seem small no doubt. I think Title IX is a much bigger issue with the female representation of the student body growing, it puts downward pressure on male sports in the numbers game. It's more complex than just Covid impacting revenue leading to budget cuts. Tough situation.

MN was featured, but as 60 Minutes pointed out, cutting sports is the trend nationwide. Gymnastics has gone from commonplace (150+ schools in the ‘70’s) to just a select few (13) schools now.

Last edited:

Coach Burns didn't pull any punches which I liked. Kind of think he's got something else for employment.

Seems like maybe COVID was an excuse to do some cutting and make the Department easier to manage overall?

I have mix feelings about "coils" not being interviewed. He had to make decisions due a number of reasons including Title IX. Probably best not to get all the women in the United States mad at him, so he simply nipped it by saying nothing.

You know, I watched 60 minutes and I don’t think they were biased at all.

I am pretty sure you can watch that and know the following things are true:
Schools aren’t making money on most sports
Schools are making money on some sports
Schools favors sports that make money over those that dont
Men’s non money makers are first on the block due to title IX
It is easier to balance title IX by cutting than adding because adding costs money while cutting saves money.

It is easier to balance title IX by cutting than adding because adding costs money while cutting saves money.

Gobble...gobble. Reusse was ahead of the curve.

The US is probably the only country in which sports are part of the university system.
In other countries sports are sponsored by what we would call club teams which do exist here in tandem with school funded sports.
The participants in non revue producing sports if they were skilled enough could play for a club team if the school no longer sponsored their sport.
Title IX is far more important to women than sports. It guarantees women equal access to all academic classes.
It is the major reason there are far more women in the professions than there were in the 60s.
Title IX is not going away.

Title IX is far more important to women than sports. It guarantees women equal access to all academic classes.
It is the major reason there are far more women in the professions than there were in the 60s.

Title IX is not going away.
This is false. Hormonal Birth Control is the reason far more women are in the professions since the 1960's.

The athletic department here lost money in many of the years before Covid.

Fair enough, but only1.6 million (per what I've seen post prior)?

That seems like a drop in the bucket comparative to their overall budget, doesn't it?

Fair enough, but only1.6 million (per what I've seen post prior)?

That seems like a drop in the bucket comparative to their overall budget, doesn't it?
Yes, it is a small amount but it is a loss. College sports may have seen its glory days.

Mark Coyle makes $975,000!!!!!! It is inexcusable to earn that kind of compensation without having to answer tough media questions.

My love of college sports is so far in the rearview mirror that I can barely see it.

Mark Coyle makes $975,000!!!!!! It is inexcusable to earn that kind of compensation without having to answer tough media questions.

My love of college sports is so far in the rearview mirror that I can barely see it.
If anyone thinks mark Coyle just didn’t do the interview because of his own decision they don’t get how things work.

Coyle, the president, and the university’s media team likely had a conversation and determined while it would look bad to not do an interview...a statement was the best way to handle it. A lot of people are going to be mad regardless of what is said but the story is largely going to be contained and not blow up. While a misstep in an interview setting has potential to blow things up both locally and nationally.

While it’s a bad look to not do the interview, I think it was smart to not do the interview.

The local reporters not doing the interview have every right to say it’s a bad look. I think more people than not in the state would prefer men’s gymnasts not get scholarships. (I have no data to back that up)

Local reporters make a stink on social media! Big deal. I feel for those involved in the programs that were cut, but this is solely a business decision, It makes sense.

I'm sure it was discussed internally by a whole lot of people who make too much money.

It's time to end college sports. It has turned into an endeavor that enriches very few on the backs of the unpaid labor of many. And if your unpaid labor isn't profitable to the AD, then you're cast aside.

Pat chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Is Reusse proposing that the U spend less on football, and more on other (non-revenue) sports?

If so, I wonder how that would work out for the U.

The university has struggled for years to compete in B1G football; Reusse spent most of those wilderness seasons delighting in pointing out how hapless Minnesota football was, and constantly belittling the team and the U's succession of coaches.

Now the football team (finally) shows some signs of life, with a coach who appears to have at least an outside chance of taking Minnesota football back to relevance again — but Reusse is unhappy. He apparently wants the U to cut spending on football.

Reusse seems to always, always, always have some axe to grind. To say his act is growing old and stale is an understatement.

This is false. Hormonal Birth Control is the reason far more women are in the professions since the 1960's.
That helped but did not get them into Medical School, Law School. MBA etc.
The unwritten rules excluding women had to change first.

Is Reusse proposing that the U spend less on football, and more on other (non-revenue) sports?

If so, I wonder how that would work out for the U.

The university has struggled for years to compete in B1G football; Reusse spent most of those wilderness seasons delighting in pointing out how hapless Minnesota football was, and constantly belittling the team and the U's succession of coaches.

Now the football team (finally) shows some signs of life, with a coach who appears to have at least an outside chance of taking Minnesota football back to relevance again — but Reusse is unhappy. He apparently wants the U to cut spending on football.

Reusse seems to always, always, always have some axe to grind. To say his act is growing old and stale is an understatement.
He is the Cliche cranky boomer. "Everything was better back in my day" type of guy. The demolition business is a lot easier than the construction business. The olds love him.

Excellent points.

He is the Cliche cranky boomer. "Everything was better back in my day" type of guy. The demolition business is a lot easier than the construction business. The olds love him.

Wow! Ageism... the last bastion of acceptable prejudice. Racists and misogynists are now generally looked down upon in civilized circles, but it's still quite acceptable — even very, very cool — to belittle older people for the simple fact that they've lived longer.

If I said millennials are clueless, entitled, callow twits who do nothing but stare at their phones all day without a cogent thought in their heads, I would be attacked — and I would richly deserve to be called out for generalizing and inaccuracy.

Seniors, on the other hand, are still fair game. So carry on.

Top Bottom