UNI and Wisconsin Rosters

I just heard an interview with Howard Moore, who is an ex UW player and now an assistant coach under Gard. Link One of the interesting things Moore said in the interview regarding recruiting one-and-dones is "You don't want to recruit a turd, you get your hands dirty trying to polish a turd. Then you have to flush them too."

I just disagree with your premise. I think it's absolutely true Wisconsin has gotten great players and developed them better than the U. I don't think that is an indictment on Pitino or Tubby though. Wisconsin isn't better at identifying talent, for the most part Pitino and Tubby went after the players Wisconsin got, they are better at signing said players. In part because their final four run wasn't bathed in scandal, they've had continuity at HC, and they've had prolonged success.

So I disagree the Gophers are recruiting different players or worse players or anything like that. We just can't sign them up against Wisconsin. And I think that's a credit to Bo Ryan and that school more so than it is an indictment of Tubby Smith or Richard Pitino.

Fair enough.

I'll agree that the continuity is something that Wisconsin has that the Gophers have definitely lacked. That's a big part in the development, which isn't done without the right types of players. It's all a big circle that comes back to continuity.

So of course let's fire Pitino now! :)

I don't think Pitino and Tubby recruited the wrong types of players - there really isn't a right or wrong type of player as long as the player can play. Heck, Tubby for a while got very good players. He was snakebit by injuries and departures and then seemed to wear down in terms of recruiting. Pitino is getting quality players, now they need time to develop. He's said it many times, the key will be stacking two, three, four recruiting classes together so that the program has depth and continuity.

Top Bottom