UNI and Wisconsin Rosters

BartJ

Reaction score
Looking at the rosters of these two midwestern teams you will note that UNI has all of their players from Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois. Bucky has most from Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio. Many white (not very athletic) players as well. Meanwhile the Gophers have players from all over the country and world with the majority "very athletic." Where has that recruiting theory gotten us? I would rather get the best Minnesota players and others from the midwest. If our neighbors can do it and be successful, why can't Minnesota? They seem to be in the NCAA tournament every year!

Looking at the rosters of these two midwestern teams you will note that UNI has all of their players from Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois. Bucky has most from Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio. Many white (not very athletic) players as well. Meanwhile the Gophers have players from all over the country and world with the majority "very athletic." Where has that recruiting theory gotten us? I would rather get the best Minnesota players and others from the midwest. If our neighbors can do it and be successful, why can't Minnesota? They seem to be in the NCAA tournament every year!

Let's discuss this again next year. I would not call this year's Gopher edition "very athletic" across the board. Konate has average athleticism as does King and Gilbert. Diedhou was of no effect. So there were really 6 to 7 athletic players and half were frosh. If everyone comes back we will have a better idea of how a squad loaded with athletes might look going forward. If you mean that we need better shooters...we do.

IMO we should follow the Kentucky model and sign 5 star one and done players every year. Not sure why Richard hasn't figure this out yet?

And here is the Gopher's roster. Two of those Jr's listed are Fitzgerald and Lynch. Hmmmm...must be a race thing.

FR
FR
FR
FR
FR

SO
SO
SO
SO

JR
JR
JR

SR

Had offers to Travis, Vaughn, Jones and Macura. Pitino had little time to recruit these kids. Got none

Offered Illikainen and Jarvis Johnson. Got Jarvis and might have gotten Alex but class was full. Ended up getting Murphy in the spring.

Offered Coffey and Hurt. Landed both. Also got Sharp as a walk on.

Offered John, Trent Jr, and Reuvers. Might be other in state guys that get offered if there are departures.

We offer the best in state players and are starting to get them.

Offered John, Trent Jr, and Reuvers. Might be other in state guys that get offered if there are departures.

Which of these guys is the whitest and least athletic?

When you bring up being white rather than talent in recruiting this thread loses all credibility.

What I find amazing is that there is a human being that thought this idea was novel enough to go through the process of starting an account (do we have a 24-hour wait before starting a new thread?) and then starting a brand new topic.

This is why computers are the future fast food workers, is if you can eliminate a humans ability to think, you've got the perfect fast food worker.

I guess my comments were misconstrued a little. My main point was that we should look for recruits closer to home as it has been successful for Wisconsin and Iowa teams. Heck, for years Wisconsin has taken our players, Berggren, Bruesewitz, Leuer, Jordan Taylor. And Iowa Hawkeyes had 4 senior starters from Iowa and one from Michigan. That thinking is not racist but probably is provincial. I would rather root for local kids than someone from New York, Florida or Texas. That said, I will always root for the Gophers. I have since 1961 and rather than being a fast food worker( like Winasota surmises), I am a grad of the U of M Law School and have chosen to be a silent observer of Gopher Hole over the years.

I guess my comments were misconstrued a little. My main point was that we should look for recruits closer to home as it has been successful for Wisconsin and Iowa teams. Heck, for years Wisconsin has taken our players, Berggren, Bruesewitz, Leuer, Jordan Taylor. And Iowa Hawkeyes had 4 senior starters from Iowa and one from Michigan. That thinking is not racist but probably is provincial. I would rather root for local kids than someone from New York, Florida or Texas. That said, I will always root for the Gophers. I have since 1961 and rather than being a fast food worker( like Winasota surmises), I am a grad of the U of M Law School and have chosen to be a silent observer of Gopher Hole over the years.

With the exception of Bruesewitz, it's not like we passed over those guys, so I'm not really sure what you're suggesting.

He's had two recruiting cycles and you're comparing to two coaching "programs " that have been in place for 15 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the exception of Bruesewitz, it's not like we passed over those guys, so I'm not really sure what you're suggesting.

I'm not sure we passed over them per se, but I believe both Berggren and Taylor committed to Wisconsin between the time that Monson was fired and Tubby was hired, so who knows how hard they were recruited, if at all. I also thought I heard Jordan Taylor had his sights set on Wisconsin from very early in the recruiting process. Was Brusewitz a 2009 guy? Obviously we got more sought after players in 2009 than Mike Brusewitz. I also recall him being more of a solid role player than a stud that slipped through our fingers, but I haven't looked at his college stats to back that up.

I don't get why people care so much where players come from? That doesn't effect how good they are when they are in college, just get good players, no matter where, to think there are only good players in only one region is completely wrong. Recruiting instate is highly advised because you can set up a pipeline, where there is already connection to start with. As much as I hate to admit it, people are over looking coaching, Wisconsin does a great Job developing their players, its no coincidence that they always do well despite recruiting at a lower level than their success on the court. They teach discipline, its not often you see one of their players make a bone headed play. They also do a great job of getting good character guys who are team first players, which makes it easier on the staff to coach them up.

Never mind Wisconsin and UNI, what I'd like to know is how does Notre Dame sustain such a talented stable of Black Irish Catholics:confused:

I don't get why people care so much where players come from? That doesn't effect how good they are when they are in college, just get good players, no matter where, to think there are only good players in only one region is completely wrong. Recruiting instate is highly advised because you can set up a pipeline, where there is already connection to start with. As much as I hate to admit it, people are over looking coaching, Wisconsin does a great Job developing their players, its no coincidence that they always do well despite recruiting at a lower level than their success on the court. They teach discipline, its not often you see one of their players make a bone headed play. They also do a great job of getting good character guys who are team first players, which makes it easier on the staff to coach them up.

There is also something to be said about continuity. Jacobson's been at UNI for 10 years, Bo was at Wisconsin for how many years, 15? Gard with him for most of that time. Here at Minnesota, we get angry after year 3 and want to start over. While I understand that there needs to be success to create a desire for a coach to stay longer than 3 years, but that's pretty tough to do in the Big 10 these days, hire someone new and get immediate results.

Jacobson had immediate success but then suffered a lull of 4 years where he didn't finish better than 3rd in MVC. That kind of performance gets coaches fired at the UofM.

Takes time to develop relationship regardless of the area you're recruiting.

Wisconsin has executed a straight forward recruiting plan (target WI, MN, IL kids with the occasional kids from IA, OH, and the Dakotas mixed in) that has been wildly successful for them and is impossible to argue with.

None of our recent coaches had anything that could be remotely described as a coherent recruiting strategy.

The 97 team is the perfect formula for recruiting. Get the best in state guys i.e Jacobson, Thomas and Winter, but the rest of the core group came from all over. Bobby Jackson, North Carolina, Erik Harris, New York, Courtney James, Indiana, Quincy Lewis, Arkansas, Charles Thomas, Kentucky, Miles Tarver, California. That team came from all over. Get the best instate guys and fill out the roster with talent wherever you can find it. On this team, personally I think mason, Dorsey, McBreyer, Murphy and Curry will all have good college careers. I have no problem with the fact that they're not from here. Supplement them with guys like Lynch, Coffey, Hurt and hopefully John and Reuvers in 2017 and will have a pretty good crop of players

I agree with the OP. It's high time Pitino recruits some good boys, like Buddy Walker, Rade Butcher, Everett Flatch and Strap Purl.

Wisconsin has executed a straight forward recruiting plan (target WI, MN, IL kids with the occasional kids from IA, OH, and the Dakotas mixed in) that has been wildly successful for them and is impossible to argue with.

None of our recent coaches had anything that could be remotely described as a coherent recruiting strategy.

Sliced another way, both Wisconsin and Iowa recruit size and skill - which you can find around here, and that's the misconstrued message of the OP. No reason not to look beyond the borders, but you can get a pretty good core in the upper Midwest.

Sliced another way, both Wisconsin and Iowa recruit size and skill - which you can find around here, and that's the misconstrued message of the OP. No reason not to look beyond the borders, but you can get a pretty good core in the upper Midwest.

This is what's hilarious to me. Wisconsin isn't signing 1-star Midwest recruits and they all just work out because they're so great.

They are signing one or two 4 and 5 star recruits nearly every year supplemented with high 3 star guys. You don't think Pitino would love to do that? It's not like he is just ignoring highly rated prospects like, "nope. They are from MN and skilled. Can't sign them"

Not to sound too irritable, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. This notion that Bo Ryan/Wisconsin just nabs any old slow, big, white kid and transforms them into all-big 10 players. Kaminsky is a sort of example of that, but Leur, Berggren, Koening, Hayes, Deckker, Happ, etc. we're all fairly well regarded recruits. No Ryan is one of the coaches I hate the most, but the man can and is able to and has been really good at recruiting. Very well. On the court success will do that when combined with continuity.

This is what's hilarious to me. Wisconsin isn't signing 1-star Midwest recruits and they all just work out because they're so great.

They are signing one or two 4 and 5 star recruits nearly every year supplemented with high 3 star guys. You don't think Pitino would love to do that? It's not like he is just ignoring highly rated prospects like, "nope. They are from MN and skilled. Can't sign them"

Not to sound too irritable, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. This notion that Bo Ryan/Wisconsin just nabs any old slow, big, white kid and transforms them into all-big 10 players. Kaminsky is a sort of example of that, but Leur, Berggren, Koening, Hayes, Deckker, Happ, etc. we're all fairly well regarded recruits. No Ryan is one of the coaches I hate the most, but the man can and is able to and has been really good at recruiting. Very well. On the court success will do that when combined with continuity.

He did, however, say that he brought in Bakary and Gaston because he wasn't going to be able to recruit comparable bigs domestically. To me, that's laughable. He can find two-star players superior to them within driving distance.

Top Bottom