Undefeated but how good? Where are the Gophers in the first Big Ten power rankings? (#10. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

10. Gophers (6-0): How disrespectful to have the undefeated Gophers so low you say? First-year coach Ben Johnson would agree that they don't care about rankings but maintaining this spot instead of last place as the schedule gets tougher would be an impressive feat.

Go Gophers!!

Loving this !!! Just keep telling this team they will be bottom of the conference and they will continue to prove all the experts wrong, I guarantee it.

Nebraska hasn’t impressed and jNW might be pretty bad. Gophers aren’t cemented at 14 IMO

So little depth. If either Jamison or Willis go down, who will score? And they will have to play a ton of minutes. How well Johnson is able to keep this team up as the losses mount in the Big !0 season will be a way to measure his mettle. About all we can expect is that they continue to play hard and smart. Gotta say these players show obvious signs of being much better coached than those under the prior regime, and I would include Tubby's era as well.

So little depth. If either Jamison or Willis go down, who will score? And they will have to play a ton of minutes. How well Johnson is able to keep this team up as the losses mount in the Big !0 season will be a way to measure his mettle. About all we can expect is that they continue to play hard and smart. Gotta say these players show obvious signs of being much better coached than those under the prior regime, and I would include Tubby's era as well.

Depth, I keep hearing about the lack of depth .
Get past depth .SO,we have about 8 players,we will be fine,that's all most teams will play,once Big Ten play starts.

It's not really disrespectable. The Gophers look like they may be better than expected.....but that doesn't mean that they are going to compete for a Big Ten title. Fortunately, Ben's team has made plays when they've needed them and have stayed perfect so far. But that's unlikely to last. I haven't seen a line yet for the Miss State game.....but I'd guess that the Gophers will be double digit dogs.

Get past depth .SO,we have about 8 players,we will be fine,that's all most teams will play,once Big Ten play starts.
By depth I mean guys who can make the ball go into the basket. Don't see much past the two guys mentioned, whose wotk load will be extreme. Our lack of size inside will be seriously exploited, especially durng the Big 10 season. Foul trouble among Minnesota's frontcourt will be inevitable. These may be reasons why you keep hearing about depth, Mr. King.

Seems to me that after the top 3 teams in a conference that there is not much separation among the rest.
Great point Built - I think they are developing confidence by winning the close ones and knowing they are a team, first and foremost - something desperately missing during the Pitino era.

I think this has to do with good coaching and a commitment to play D! What say you?

It's not really disrespectable. The Gophers look like they may be better than expected.....but that doesn't mean that they are going to compete for a Big Ten title. Fortunately, Ben's team has made plays when they've needed them and have stayed perfect so far. But that's unlikely to last. I haven't seen a line yet for the Miss State game.....but I'd guess that the Gophers will be double digit dogs.
If the Gopher keep the ball moving and not play hero ball, and if they play team defense they are setting themselves up for good things to come in Ben johnson's tenure.

We are all hungry to see The Barn rocking again!

Loving this !!! Just keep telling this team they will be bottom of the conference and they will continue to prove all the experts wrong, I guarantee it.
Are you guaranteeing that they will finish better than 10th in the conference?

Seems to me that after the top 3 teams in a conference that there is not much separation among the rest.
That Purdue team is really good. It might go Purdue. . . next two. . . . . . . . . everyone else.

By depth I mean guys who can make the ball go into the basket. Don't see much past the two guys mentioned, whose wotk load will be extreme. Our lack of size inside will be seriously exploited, especially durng the Big 10 season. Foul trouble among Minnesota's frontcourt will be inevitable. These may be reasons why you keep hearing about depth, Mr. King.
We will simply unleash the Thiam.

1638661161906.png

When Pitino was coach most were critical for not having a bench. Today we have maybe 7 players and only 6 with significant playing time.

Whats the projection on B1G wins, 7-8 on high end, and 5-6 on the low end?

If the Gopher keep the ball moving and not play hero ball, and if they play team defense they are setting themselves up for good things to come in Ben johnson's tenure.

We are all hungry to see The Barn rocking again!

100%

I didn't get season tickets for the first time to see them suck. Johnson is going to get this team kicking ass in no time.

Great point Built - I think they are developing confidence by winning the close ones and knowing they are a team, first and foremost - something desperately missing during the Pitino era.

I think this has to do with good coaching and a commitment to play D! What say you?
Spot on.

per Marcus:

10. Gophers (6-0): How disrespectful to have the undefeated Gophers so low you say? First-year coach Ben Johnson would agree that they don't care about rankings but maintaining this spot instead of last place as the schedule gets tougher would be an impressive feat.

Go Gophers!!
Awesomeness and I bet Ben is fun to play for - seems like a cool, smart good dude.

the type of players we want will notice this Type start and better than anticipated year and think if he can achieve those results with those guys, think of what we can accomplish together!

Last edited:

You are aware that injuries occur frequently, aren't you?

Just win, baby. It’s ugly but it’s worked so far. That’s why you play the games.

This was not ugly,it was good quality fundamental basketball, winning basketball, something fewer and fewer teams do each year . Most of today's athletes have the me 1st mentality,get mine ,then worry about winning.
Not this bunch !!
They may not play in the NBA,who cares ??

Top Bottom