UNC Attendance

Crosby

Reaction score
Not sure this is worthy of its own thread but I couldn't find the discussion anywhere else. It looks like there are a lot of tickets left for this game. It also seems to me that we have come close to selling out most Thursday night openers when we host quality opponents. Last year we were helped by the number of Nebraska fans coming up for the game. But it sure looks to me like we won't sell this one out. Am I wrong? I personally really like the Thursday night opening vibe with a packed house.

I think this gets back to something we've discussed on this board - what is the size of the hard-core Gophers fan base?

based on season ticket sales and attendance, the hard-core fan base is in the range of about 30,000 fans. that's the group that will show up for games no matter what.

any attendance over that point depends on the visiting team - but it also depends on casual fans and fence-sitters getting excited, or at least interested, in Gopher football.

there is a significant element of the Twins Cities fan base - for all sports - who are bandwagon jumpers. If a team gets hot or generates some buzz, they'll show up for a game. but if that team goes cold and the buzz goes away, the casual fans go away too. and at this point, there really isn't a lot of buzz for Gopher football. it doesn't help that the "sports" outlets like KFAN and SKOR North spend 90% of their time talking about the Vikings.

maybe if there is a little more media coverage going into the game, a few more people might decide to attend. but you have to give people a compelling reason that makes them want to get off the couch, get in the car, drive to the game, find a place to park and watch the game in person - as opposed to staying home and watching the game on the big-screen TV.

A good buddy of mine works in the ticketing office at the U. He said interest across nearly all metrics they measure is way down for Gopher football this season. Goes without saying a strong start to the season is very much needed.

A good buddy of mine works in the ticketing office at the U. He said interest across nearly all metrics they measure is way down for Gopher football this season. Goes without saying a strong start to the season is very much needed.
Blame NIL.

No loyalty from players as they go for the money is leading to no loyalty from fans. College sports have killed the golden goose and consequently the interest of fans. Add to this the ticket prices that turn away the casual fan. Why pay $$$$ to attend a game where the weather could be crappy when you can sit in a comfortable bark-a-lounger for a couple bucks paid to get TV? For the common fan it's a no brainer.

On the positive side, enjoy the extra room to man spread. 😏

Blame NIL.

No loyalty from players as they go for the money is leading to no loyalty from fans. College sports have killed the golden goose and consequently the interest of fans. Add to this the ticket prices that turn away the casual fan. Why pay $$$$ to attend a game where the weather could be crappy when you can sit in a comfortable bark-a-lounger for a couple bucks paid to get TV? For the common fan it's a no brainer.

On the positive side, enjoy the extra room to man spread. 😏
5 and 7 regular season record last season is the biggest factor.
Respected Defensive Coordinator bailing for Michigan State is another uninspiring note.

But, we can hope for a gorgeous day and a record walk up crowd with some pregame buzz about how amazing we look in practice.

5 and 7 regular season record last season is the biggest factor.
Respected Defensive Coordinator bailing for Michigan State is another uninspiring note.

But, we can hope for a gorgeous day and a record walk up crowd with some pregame buzz about how amazing we look in practice.
I don't think the average fan even knows who the DC was. Doubt that's a factor. The 6-7 record last year is by far the biggest reason. I'm looking forward to this year more than I was last year. Excited to see Brosmer and Taylor.

I know they sold out the allotment of Gopher Passes last year. They increased the price by 50 bucks and there are still plenty available now.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is occurring on many campuses. My feeling is NIL is hurting general enthusiasm for college sports.

The OSU's, Bama, Oklahoma, Nebraska's of the world probably still have enough fans but I'm guessing the casual fan is dropping out somewhat. I guess we'll see with attendance figures early in the year.

In the Gophers case, I agree that last year's record is a contributing factor.

The U needs to think about lowering "seat donations" until we get a consistent crowd and demand for tickets again. We should be more focused on a game-day atmosphere in the short term and fill the stadium. The U needs to look at it from the airline perspective that an empty seat is lost revenue. The stadium is already built, and the seats are already there. They would make more money with a cheaper ticket with the chance for that person to buy concession, beer, parking, etc., vs. not selling the seat at all.

Anybody who does go better be prepared for the traffic mess created by street work on the campus.

Low expectations. Poor season last year are both factors IMO. Probably end up with about 45k I’d guess. I’ll be one of them.

Uni-dimensional, uncreative, boring offense that mothballs its receivers might also be coming home to roost. A lot of money to pay to see a service academy style offense.

Personally I think it's a great night to have a game. Has to be a good match up, which this is for the most part. My guess is it will be a crowd north of 45K. It's a four day weekend for me. Probably hit the fair during the day, Gophs at night, and Friday off work to relax and recharge.

Guys, we have the same problem at UNC. Stadium holds 51,000 and without visiting fans bringing 5-8k we can’t sell it out with our own fans. I doubt we will bring more than maybe 1k to Minnesota. We are in a wait and see type mode with this team considering our late season collapses last few years. Me and my 3 buddies will be there. Let’s tailgate and party.

*we reduced capacity from 62,500 to 51,500.

Low expectations. Poor season last year are both factors IMO. Probably end up with about 45k I’d guess. I’ll be one of them.
45K would be a huge success. No body will know the truth but this will be the lowest attended Thursday night game to date. It is a loser time and day. We are 1 billion miles away from being able to draw on a memorial weekend primer. I am going to an embarrassing 30K at most.

45K would be a huge success. No body will know the truth but this will be the lowest attended Thursday night game to date. It is a loser time and day. We are 1 billion miles away from being able to draw on a memorial weekend primer. I am going to an embarrassing 30K at most.
Well we would have a packed house but ONLY because we never get to host Thursday night games with the stadium being in heart of campus and majority of parking being linked to UNC Hospital. Less crowded there on weekends vs daily employees + patients.

I think we have only ever had 2 Thursday night games since I’ve been living and I’m 38.

Sports teams need to sell hope.

In the division system, I had hope we could win the West.

In a 12-team playoff, as I understand it, I have to hope we finish in the top three of the new 18 team Big Ten - maybe 4th if the stars align? In 2019, we were close to fourth best after 12 games...but now it's 18 teams.

Need another 10-2 year or a 9-3 with some impressive wins and no embarassing losses to give any hope for casual fans. Split PSU and Michigan, lose one of Iowa, Wisconsin, USC. Win the rest.

Maybe a year where schedule looks easier.

Expanding playoff to 24 teams (maybe 32) and making all conferences play more challenging schedules would give me more hope.

Ben Johnson gave me some hope this last sesson we could have meaningful games this next season...make a tourney run. But, then a bunch of guys go chase NIL money. Hope diminished

Yeah, it's tough to draw anyone for football on Memorial Weekend. :)

And aside from that, you are wrong. The game will draw a pretty good crowd.

Labor Day, dumbass.

This game always draws fine and you know that.

Weak troll job.

Liberals don't like football unless there's a bandwagon to jump on , and the twin cities are jam packed with liberals.

just for the fun of it, I looked up the reported attendance for the first home game of the season for every year in the new stadium era. this is reported attendance - not actual turnstile count.

BTW - the first 4 years of the new stadium, the Gophers opened on the road (I assume not wanting to have a home game during the State Fair). so from 2009-2012, the Home opener was in the 2nd week of the season. they went to the Thursday night opener starting in 2013.

2009 - Air Force - Sellout (first game in new stadium)
2010 - South Dakota - 49,554 (Dakota fans)
2011 - New Mexico State - 48,807
2012 - New Hampshire - 47,002
-------------------------------- (moved to Thursday opener in 2013)
2013 - UNLV - 44,217
2014 - Eastern Illinois - 44,344
2015 - TCU - Sellout (TCU ranked #2 in AP pre-season poll)
2016 - Oregon State - 44,582
2017 - Buffalo - 43,274
2018 - New Mexico St. - 41,291
2019 - South Dakota State - 49,112 (Dakota fans)
2020 - Michigan - 589 (covid - played on Saturday in October)
2021 - Ohio State - Sellout (conference game) OSU ranked #6 in AP pre-season poll
2022 - New Mexico State - 44,012
2023 - Nebraska - Sellout (conference game/rivalry)

the 4 first home-game sellouts in the new stadium were the 1st ever game; a game against the #2-ranked team in the country; and two conference games. lowest reported attendance was 41,291 vs Casa De Autos. (I assume actual attendance was lower....)

Last edited:

Anybody who does go better be prepared for the traffic mess created by street work on the campus.
With no state fair lot, the state fair park and rides, students back on campus, Gopher football fans, and being a work day evening, the traffic for this game is always a complete CF. I typically arrive by 4pm and either tailgate or head to the market.

What are the Gophers playing for this season? A 10 win season would be a great season but with B1G expansion, and without divisions, that wouldn't likely get them into a B1G championship or the CFP.

College football has become mostly meaningless for programs like the Gophers. When there was a chance to win the west and head to Indy every year, it was different.

All the Gophers have to play for is a chance to beat their rivals, and try to get into the best bowl game as possible, yet most programs treat those as meaningless too.

This is why I don't have anywhere near the same excitement for the season as I had in the past. I don't think I'm in the minority either.

What are the Gophers playing for this season? A 10 win season would be a great season but with B1G expansion, and without divisions, that wouldn't likely get them into a B1G championship or the CFP.

College football has become mostly meaningless for programs like the Gophers. When there was a chance to win the west and head to Indy every year, it was different.

All the Gophers have to play for is a chance to beat their rivals, and try to get into the best bowl game as possible, yet most programs treat those as meaningless too.

This is why I don't have anywhere near the same excitement for the season as I had in the past. I don't think I'm in the minority either.
Do you think we have a smaller chance now to go to the CFP then we had to win the Big Ten when it was actually ten teams? I'd say we have a better chance of going to the CFP than we did of winning the Big Ten back in the days of no divisions.

Top Bottom