UNBELIEVABLE - POST GAME RANT THREAD!!!!

This one is on Fleck- poor recruiting and development of defensive players and I have to believe he told the OC to run the ball and clock. He sure as hell didn’t say keep the peddle to the metal. How do you have a top 5 QB and top 3 WR and throw the ball that infrequently? Haven’t felt this sick since the infamous Michigan game years ago.
Or the Michigan game last week :(

This one is on Fleck- poor recruiting and development of defensive players and I have to believe he told the OC to run the ball and clock. He sure as hell didn’t say keep the peddle to the metal. How do you have a top 5 QB and top 3 WR and throw the ball that infrequently? Haven’t felt this sick since the infamous Michigan game years ago.
Other than wasting timeouts, this is my biggest complaint of Fleck- he gets a lead and turns into his shell. The offense turns from “win the game” to “try and not lose the game” if they have a lead in the 4th quarter. The play calling goes super conservative, and other coaches should be able to play against this pretty easily (as seen tonight).

Unpopular opinion, I don't know if our CBs played that bad today. Their tackling was bad, but the coverage was OK. That QB played really well.

As far as our pass rush, safeties and everything else on D, yeah, it's Brew-level bad.
While I agree they didn’t play quite as bad as the horrendous LB and DL groups, Tagaviaola was 26/35 for 394 yards. While not all on the CB’s, they have not matched their 2019 performance.

The coaches absolutely sucked. The defense was out of position all game long. Potts should have gotten more carries, Mo was spent at the end. Ultra conservative on offense. Maryland adjusted in the 4th, we decided to not use one of the better QBs and WRs in program history. Then you absolutely have to go for 2 there.

Inexcusable to have that bad of LB play in season 4. A true freshman should not be the starting MLB.

While I agree they didn’t play quite as bad as the horrendous LB and DL groups, Tagaviaola was 26/35 for 394 yards. While not all on the CB’s, they have not matched their 2019 performance.

No, you're right. But he made some really good throws. A couple of those throws were just dimes.

It's games like this that you just can't help but think of how Fleck is just a rah rah guy and not an X's and O's guy, and when we just don't have talent on defense, how we're gonna even win a game or not.

I wish the Big Ten never agreed to opening the season. I new this would be a garbage year but this is really pathetic. This has to be coaching. No one on the team appears to be geling.
I was expecting 8-4 or 7-5 on the full schedule, but we should still never lost to this Maryland team. Awful.

No, you're right. But he made some really good throws. A couple of those throws were just dimes.

Yes.
Taulia was dead on pretty much all night.

He was masterful at getting out of the pocket and still looking downfield where I was convinced he was going to run.

It was one of the better QB performances I've seen against the Gophers.
Our secondary had issues, but there was some really good throws over the CB's before safeties could close in on sideline routes.

The defensive concerns I have are on stopping the run and cover the back out of the backfield.

The coaches absolutely sucked. The defense was out of position all game long. Potts should have gotten more carries, Mo was spent at the end. Ultra conservative on offense. Maryland adjusted in the 4th, we decided to not use one of the better QBs and WRs in program history. Then you absolutely have to go for 2 there.

Inexcusable to have that bad of LB play in season 4. A true freshman should not be the starting MLB.

Spot on. I don’t care if you lose a bunch of guys. What have you been recruiting now for 4 years? There are no credible LBs on this roster? Look at Mi, WI, IA, etc. there are LBs in the Midwest. You may not get tons of elite, speedy WR’s from around here, but you should be able to find good OL and LBs.

You can expect some drop off, but these guys look like they were recruited from an over 40 YMCA rec league.

Huge step backwards from last year. Very surprising. I didn't think we would be the worst team in the B1G West, but presently we are.

I have no idea where to start. The defense looks so terribly slow and utterly lost. How can that be?

Throw the damn ball! Mo is awesome, but take the f...in training wheels off and let the best QB/WR duo we have probably ever had here go to work some. We don't have to be chucking it all over the field but Morgan should get more than 15 pass attempts.

Huge step backwards from last year. Very surprising. I didn't think we would be the worst team in the B1G West, but presently we are.

I have no idea where to start. The defense looks so terribly slow and utterly lost. How can that be?
Same here... didn't expect to go undefeated and knew there would be defensive concerns but we're probably looking at being one of the worst gopher teams in a long long time...they almost put up 700 yards and aren't a good team.

MD rarely pressured Morgan and #24 had to be worn out.
The MN offense has an accurate passing QB and two gifted WRs who played well the whole game.
It was obvious the MN defense was not up to the task and MN needed to put more points on the board in the 4th quarter.
Running the ball was not going to do it.

Beyond our gifted receivers how about throw to a tight end? The whole 4th quarter they were run blitzing linebackers and safeties. That should have been wide open

Might be the worst Gopher defense I have ever seen. Definitely the slowest. Possibly the worst tackling on average, and maybe the worst reaction and ball attacking in years. The loss of our linebacking corps and d-backs to the NFL and graduation is obvious and glaring.. The D-line needs grow up fast too. Bob Mafe needs to play angry, and get the others to do the same.

We knew what a good job Kirk Ciarocca did for us on offense and we may have actually under estimated his savvy. When the game was on the line, in the last two Gopher possessions of the 4th quarter was vanilla failure. A dumb Iron Range hockey player like me knew what was coming, and I assure the D+ Maryland defensive coaching staff did too.

I love this program but, damn....

This defense reminds how felt about many of Glenn Mason’s teams.

Top Bottom