U Twitter: PG1 is BACK‼️ @eslimee_ will return for his senior season at Minnesota!

I'm sorry but this is an effort from the PR department to try to put lipstick on a pig, with the Payne departure, Morgan not coming here, and any success at this point from the portal. I guess i can't blame them......
You're trying WAY TOO HARD. Yes, he himself had said he was already coming back, but this is the school officially saying it. And yes, the Payne departure hurts. Morgan, meh.

I'm sorry but this is an effort from the PR department to try to put lipstick on a pig, with the Payne departure, Morgan not coming here, and any success at this point from the portal. I guess i can't blame them......
Dumb... It's not an effort to do anything. This is the standard way of doing things now.

This is pretty much the same thing that happened with the football players and their DTA announcements. Not sure I see why the U posting it is much different?

Dumb... It's not an effort to do anything. This is the standard way of doing things now.
Limited sample size, but I don't believe this to be true....good friend of mine is huge Badger booster. I asked if the basketball team was putting out releases when players say they're coming coming back. He responded "No LOL".

Limited sample size, but I don't believe this to be true....good friend of mine is huge Badger booster. I asked if the basketball team was putting out releases when players say they're coming coming back. He responded "No LOL".
They just post the news on the NextDoor Lakeville section.....

Ok, so we've got...

PG- Hawkins
PG- Asuma
SG- Mitchell
SF- Betts
PF- Garcia

SF- Christie maybe. It's almost a certainty he's going to declare for the NBA, and I'd be shocked if he returned if he's a 1st rounder. 2nd rounder, we might get him back.

PF- Fox maybe. I don't think his knees allow him to play starter minutes, but I imagine there's a chance he'd come back in a similar bench role if the team looks like a winner.

We need a replacement for Carrington, a wing defender, and some bigs. When you don't have unlimited money, it's good to get the guys like Garcia & Hawkins wrapped up so you know what you can spend in the portal on new players.

Ok, so we've got...

PG- Hawkins
PG- Asuma
SG- Mitchell
SF- Betts
PF- Garcia

SF- Christie maybe. It's almost a certainty he's going to declare for the NBA, and I'd be shocked if he returned if he's a 1st rounder. 2nd rounder, we might get him back.

PF- Fox maybe. I don't think his knees allow him to play starter minutes, but I imagine there's a chance he'd come back in a similar bench role if the team looks like a winner.

We need a replacement for Carrington, a wing defender, and some bigs. When you don't have unlimited money, it's good to get the guys like Garcia & Hawkins wrapped up so you know what you can spend in the portal on new players.
That can't really be a starting 5 IMO. They would get killed inside and it's a big stretch to bank on a freshman to start or on an unknown in Betts to start. It needs to be:

PG-Hawkins
SG-Mitchell
SG/SF-Christie
PF-Garcia
C-Portal TBD

6-Asuma
7-Portal Shooting Guard TBD
8-Fox/Portal F/C
9-Portal F/C
10-Betts
11-Grove
12/13 Project/Walk-on

Payne is gone and Morgan isn't coming here but the issue of success from the portal recruiting is undetermined at this point.

That just means no one is coming back.

I'd be pretty shocked if he was a first rounder at this point and mildly surprised if he was a 2nd rounder. It's not like he set college basketball on fire this season (13.7 PER).

That can't really be a starting 5 IMO. They would get killed inside and it's a big stretch to bank on a freshman to start or on an unknown in Betts to start. It needs to be:

PG-Hawkins
SG-Mitchell
SG/SF-Christie
PF-Garcia
C-Portal TBD

6-Asuma
7-Portal Shooting Guard TBD
8-Fox/Portal F/C
9-Portal F/C
10-Betts
11-Grove
12/13 Project/Walk-on

I didn't mean that as a starting five. I was just doing a head count. I also forgot about Grove again.

So, out of curiosity, I visited a few different Twitter accounts for noteworthy programs-Kansas, Villanova, UCLA. . .programs where they're not getting a new coach and the program has been done with basketball for at least two-three weeks, so no updated status on actual games.

And all of the programs had at least one mention of some player returning to the program next year--not as many as the Gophers, but I'd also say that they have a lot more information to share on alums in the NBA and devoted quite a bit of space to those players and making the connection of their alma mater (it'd be great to see the Gophers sprinkle in the Amir Coffey highlights on their official page actually).

We've been an easy target for Sconny fans over the years, I get that, but the Gophers social media team is doing exactly what everyone else is doing, perhaps with just more gusto and with players further down the bench than the Kansas and UCLA's of the world. In an environment where such fluidity exists, I appreciate the confirmations on the roster. Much more preferable than dusting off the account when practice starts up again.

So, out of curiosity, I visited a few different Twitter accounts for noteworthy programs-Kansas, Villanova, UCLA. . .programs where they're not getting a new coach and the program has been done with basketball for at least two-three weeks, so no updated status on actual games.

And all of the programs had at least one mention of some player returning to the program next year--not as many as the Gophers, but I'd also say that they have a lot more information to share on alums in the NBA and devoted quite a bit of space to those players and making the connection of their alma mater (it'd be great to see the Gophers sprinkle in the Amir Coffey highlights on their official page actually).

We've been an easy target for Sconny fans over the years, I get that, but the Gophers social media team is doing exactly what everyone else is doing, perhaps with just more gusto and with players further down the bench than the Kansas and UCLA's of the world. In an environment where such fluidity exists, I appreciate the confirmations on the roster. Much more preferable than dusting off the account when practice starts up again.
We have a lot of areas where Sconnie has had the upper hand against us but our social media teams blow theirs out of the water.

As for the announcements, they feel unnecessary in a lot of cases but they are much more common in this current portal era.

And now we can all breathe a sigh of relief because the Hawkins return is social media official. Can't just rely on the kids word. :)

Yep

This is the standard way of doing things now.
I’m old enough to remember wayyyy back when if there was no valid, apparent reason that you wouldn’t be back, such as you weren’t a graduating senior or you weren’t going to be a graduate transfer ….. you were just back. Didn’t need any announcement.

You know, like back in 2019.

I’m old enough to remember wayyyy back when if there was no valid, apparent reason that you wouldn’t be back, such as you weren’t a graduating senior or you weren’t going to be a graduate transfer ….. you were just back. Didn’t need any announcement.

Things change.

Yep, the good ole days.

It really is crazy how much things have changed in such a short amount of time. And we are just seeing it from the outside as opposed to the teams/players/coaches all dealing with this directly.

Top Bottom