U Tix Office and 2016 Season Tix Renewals

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the original posters point in posting this? To show how stupid those of us are for continuing to renew our season tickets? Or to suggest that the prices be lowered considerably? I guess I am missing the point unless he just wanted to pat himself on the back for being a smart guy.

None of the above. He is just a troll.

As you're aware, it's not a donation but rather a fixed cost if you want to renew the same ticket.

Incorrect. It's a donation because it's tax deductible. The donation is 100% voluntary. If you don't want to make a donation, don't buy the ticket.

>20K posts <> troll.

Not sure where you see > 20k posts, but regardless, have you ever heard of P-hawk?? He spends more time on this board (and trolling our recruits on Twitter) than most of us combined! And he's not the only troll on this board!

Really nice thread about why not supporting a program is great. Congratulations on your commitment.

Incorrect. It's a donation because it's tax deductible. The donation is 100% voluntary. If you don't want to make a donation, don't buy the ticket.
80% tax deductible. That's great if you're itemizing, but most people in the US use the standard deduction. Even if you do itemize, you're still only saving 25-39% of the tax deductible portion of the donation. The other part of the "donation" is just part of the ticket price for most buyers who wouldn't donate to the U otherwise.

Really nice thread about why not supporting a program is great. Congratulations on your commitment.

Isn't going to a game supporting the U? The U is still getting their money from the ticket he buys b/c someone else paid the donation for him. He's, personally, not supporting the U to the level you want.

80% tax deductible. That's great if you're itemizing, but most people in the US use the standard deduction. Even if you do itemize, you're still only saving 25-39% of the tax deductible portion of the donation. The other part of the "donation" is just part of the ticket price for most buyers who wouldn't donate to the U otherwise.

Right, so a donation, not a "donation". Whether or not you personally need the deduction is immaterial to whether or not it's a donation.

Right, so a donation, not a "donation". Whether or not you personally need the deduction is immaterial to whether or not it's a donation.
That's a pointless technicality to everyone taking the standard deduction and everyone who wouldn't otherwise give a donation.

Donations are given freely without exchange for a good. These are fees associated with having a particular seat. It's only phrased as a "donation" so that the tax break applies.

Donations are given freely without exchange for a good. These are fees associated with having a particular seat. It's only phrased as a "donation" so that the tax break applies.

Yep and since it's not a tax credit but a deduction the money "recouped" in taxes on the $600 per seat works out to about $140 to $150.

It should be looked at like a resort fee. There's a room charge and a non-negotiable resort fee. Don't like it, find another hotel. That hotel might be less desirable or far from the "neighborhood" you wanted to stay in. Maybe then you just don't go or wait to see if you can get a "special deal" right before you want to travel.

Or you just don't go. Much like a Gopher Football game.

It's still your choice either way.

Agreed.

It is part of the ticket price.

Tax break or not it is what you pay for the ticket.

What is the original posters point in posting this? To show how stupid those of us are for continuing to renew our season tickets? Or to suggest that the prices be lowered considerably? I guess I am missing the point unless he just wanted to pat himself on the back for being a smart guy.

Stupid is as stupid does. I'm renewing for now but I’ll tell you why I posted. Once you lose a season tix holder, it is highly unlikely you will ever get them back. The U has made a high-stakes gamble on the drastic price increase and the only way it pays off fanwise if they consistently win nine or more games a season. If seven or less wins becomes the norm then this thing backfires big time making TCF reminiscent of the Metrodome days in the late 80’s/early 90’s. The last thing we need is to lose another generation of fans and this tix pricing system has a lot of potential to do it. We all better hope Claeys is the next big time head coach.

Stupid is as stupid does. I'm renewing for now but I’ll tell you why I posted. Once you lose a season tix holder, it is highly unlikely you will ever get them back. The U has made a high-stakes gamble on the drastic price increase and the only way it pays off fanwise if they consistently win nine or more games a season. If seven or less wins becomes the norm then this thing backfires big time making TCF reminiscent of the Metrodome days in the late 80’s/early 90’s. The last thing we need is to lose another generation of fans and this tix pricing system has a lot of potential to do it. We all better hope Claeys is the next big time head coach.

the U charged too little for tickets for quite awhile.

Instructor concludes, "And that's Supply/Demand."

Student, "Wait! What?" (eventually becomes moniker on GH)

BS. People buy items, services, experiences, etc. at charity auctions all the time.

It's phrased as a donation (no scare quotes) because it is a donation.
The donations in most charity auctions is done by the various stores that gave goods and services to the charity to be sold, not the bidders. If the bidder goes above and beyond the retail cost, sure they're making a donation. In the case of gopher football, you're paying retail for the tickets. It does not matter that the U claims that part of the retail cost is a donation.

How can it be voluntary if it is required to purchase the ticket? Those two don't fit together. Can't tell if you are being serious or just trying to tick people off but someone else nailed it in the thread (too lazy to go look it up right now) when they said something to the effect of - it is called a donation in order to help those that want to use it as a tax write-off.

There is a fixed price for every season ticket based on the location (ticket + donation). You can say a seat costs $1,000 (all ticket cost) or you can say it costs $1,000 ($400 ticket + $600 donation) but regardless of how you phrase it, that seat costs $1,000 so if you want that seat you are going to pay $1,000. The buyer has the option not to buy the seat or go look for a cheaper one but there is nothing voluntary about just the donation portion of the seat because it is a built in part of the total cost of the seat. You either pay the ticket and donation part or you don't buy the seat. Really isn't that difficult.

I just read something today about restaurants. It costs 7 times as much to bring in a new customer as it does to retain a current customer.

In your conversation with the ticket rep, did he make mention of a plan to call ex-season ticket holders? Just curious if I'll be getting a call from the U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks but don't worry, I'll stay in touch regularly by scalping tix for pennies on the dollar and of course by frequenting the GH.

Perhaps if you were more successful, you wouldn't need to worry about it and could guarantee great seats while supporting the program that you presume to love.

BS. People buy items, services, experiences, etc. at charity auctions all the time.

Keep sucking down the Kool-aid, not worth arguing about.

The donation is 100% voluntary. If you don't want to make a donation, don't buy the ticket.
I just bought a pack of gum. Was that a donation? It was 100% voluntary. If I didn't want to make the donation, don't buy the gum. Did I do that right?

Keep sucking down the Kool-aid, not worth arguing about.

A. Comparisons to mass suicides are hilarious.
B. I disagree. People are trying to push an agenda that they're being forced to do something, which couldn't be further from the truth. Buy season tickets, don't buy season tickets, no one cares. The price is the price, and if you don't like it, there's the door.

The donation is probably made by the producer of the product. It's certainly not a donation to purchase a round of golf at a charity auction. But the golf course may have donated the round to the charity. Donation is used by the U purely for technical tax reasons, and it's entirely reasonable to not feel as though it's a donation at all. This is DPOing to the nth degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom