U Professor: I agree: Take back the U football program — and eliminate it!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this op-ed in the STrib by Keya Ganguly is a professor of cultural studies and comparative literature at the University of Minnesota:

I have news for Wolitarsky and Claeys: It is not your program to take back. One of you is a student-athlete, at best; the other, a paid (if overpaid) employee of the institution, who, moreover, is obliged to follow regents’ policies on all matters relating to the university. Extreme rape-affirmative behavior (even if not actual rape) is hardly something to condone, let alone support! The message the coach sent to the U community is that the sexual “exuberance” (let’s call it that) of the young men he purportedly mentors is fine and dandy; it’s what makes them men.

Is this what we ought to tolerate? Where do they find these coaches and athletic leaders — themselves serially incapable of understanding the norms of basic decency? (Remember Norwood Teague?) Whatever the sordid reason, one thing that comes through loud and clear is that neither our coaches nor the student-athletes in their charge are learning what it means to represent a sports program, an institution, or the state.

This is enough. Enough talk as well about building an “athletes’ village” (where athletes will live together in isolated harmony; that will undoubtedly give them a further sense of their privileged status). Those plans should be scrapped immediately, the funds reallocated to the cause of real education. The stakeholders of the university — every student and faculty member to the administration and the regents — have to be the ones to take back the program from those who think that they can act with impunity and intimidate everyone with the threats of bogus lawsuits and game boycotts. Eliminating an athletics program is possible; it was done at the University of California, San Diego (a highly reputed institution where the administration had the courage to say basta! to the degraded culture of Division 1 sports).

In reality, such an outcome is not likely here. The latest bulletins indicate that Wolitarsky and his brethren have recognized the side on which their bread is buttered, which is to say, they appear to have been informed about who pays the bills for their program. The good news for those appalled by this latest incident is that, at least for now, the U will not lift the suspensions; for their part, the players have assented to play in the bowl game.

But let’s not let them off the hook so easily; let’s give them what they’d asked for — and more — by eliminating the men’s football program entirely. It’s a losing proposition, anyway, and with such a move, the University of Minnesota might stand out in the Big Ten conference for its bold stance on collegiate athletics.

http://www.startribune.com/i-agree-take-back-the-u-football-program-and-eliminate-it/407513056/

Go Gophers!!

per this op-ed in the STrib by Keya Ganguly is a professor of cultural studies and comparative literature at the University of Minnesota:

I have news for Wolitarsky and Claeys: It is not your program to take back. One of you is a student-athlete, at best; the other, a paid (if overpaid) employee of the institution, who, moreover, is obliged to follow regents’ policies on all matters relating to the university. Extreme rape-affirmative behavior (even if not actual rape) is hardly something to condone, let alone support! The message the coach sent to the U community is that the sexual “exuberance” (let’s call it that) of the young men he purportedly mentors is fine and dandy; it’s what makes them men.

Is this what we ought to tolerate? Where do they find these coaches and athletic leaders — themselves serially incapable of understanding the norms of basic decency? (Remember Norwood Teague?) Whatever the sordid reason, one thing that comes through loud and clear is that neither our coaches nor the student-athletes in their charge are learning what it means to represent a sports program, an institution, or the state.

This is enough. Enough talk as well about building an “athletes’ village” (where athletes will live together in isolated harmony; that will undoubtedly give them a further sense of their privileged status). Those plans should be scrapped immediately, the funds reallocated to the cause of real education. The stakeholders of the university — every student and faculty member to the administration and the regents — have to be the ones to take back the program from those who think that they can act with impunity and intimidate everyone with the threats of bogus lawsuits and game boycotts. Eliminating an athletics program is possible; it was done at the University of California, San Diego (a highly reputed institution where the administration had the courage to say basta! to the degraded culture of Division 1 sports).

In reality, such an outcome is not likely here. The latest bulletins indicate that Wolitarsky and his brethren have recognized the side on which their bread is buttered, which is to say, they appear to have been informed about who pays the bills for their program. The good news for those appalled by this latest incident is that, at least for now, the U will not lift the suspensions; for their part, the players have assented to play in the bowl game.

But let’s not let them off the hook so easily; let’s give them what they’d asked for — and more — by eliminating the men’s football program entirely. It’s a losing proposition, anyway, and with such a move, the University of Minnesota might stand out in the Big Ten conference for its bold stance on collegiate athletics.

http://www.startribune.com/i-agree-take-back-the-u-football-program-and-eliminate-it/407513056/

Go Gophers!!

This is all I need to know.

Eliminate cultural studies and comparative literature.

Finally, someone we can fire over this issue. Extreme Rape-affirmative behavior? Can't wait to add that to the old lexicon of modern terms.

The message the coach sent to the U community is that the sexual “exuberance” (let’s call it that) of the young men he purportedly mentors is fine and dandy; it’s what makes them men.

Must have missed that in Claeys tweet.

I'd love to party with this broad.

Though I sense sarcasm, we shouldn't go there. I too am troubled that she is opportunistically attacking the program with hopes of achieving something she has wanted all along. That is to eliminate football period. I am sure the professor is not alone.

Most people with causes will spin events like this to draw attention to their cause. I hope she realizes that the building will go up, and other sports will use this facility. Football or not.

She has a lot in common with many posters here on GopherHole.

Professors with her thought process should take the moral high road as her beliefs clearly dictate and only teach at universities where there are no athletics. To not do so is akin to an alcoholic hanging out in bars or a devout Christian attending a satanism gathering...it's a complete contradiction. University of Minnesota has had athletics forever and will continue to do so feel free to take your opinion to a university that doesn't have them.

I am pretty sure she has violated the school code of conduct with some of those remarks. Maybe harassment? She should have to go in front of the EOAA board. However I am sure she would face no penalty.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I've met a lot of people who don't care about sports, so not surprised by this. doesn't bother me. that said, not sure I understand "by eliminating the men’s football program entirely...the University of Minnesota might stand out in the Big Ten conference for its bold stance on collegiate athletics" since the Big Ten is an athletics organization. Wouldn't that be similar to the U eliminating courses and research to take a bold stance on Academics?

Ha. I am glad she is speaking out. I hope more people like her speak out so that people can have a clearer understanding of the EoAA. These are the type of people that make up the EoAA. Seriously. Do you think she could could give an unbiased investigation of this case?

"Extreme rape-affirmative behavior (even if not actual rape) is hardly something to condone, let alone support! The message the coach sent to the U community is that the sexual “exuberance” (let’s call it that) of the young men he purportedly mentors is fine and dandy; it’s what makes them men".

Please take note, these people are not even going after rape. They make up terms like "extreme rape-affirmative behavior" or "rape culture" that is there way of trying to punish consensual sex. We already have a term for rape, it's called rape. It is what should be punished. People like her that try to attach consensual sexual practices to something as atrocious as rape are complete loons.

Could you imagine if there was an entity that tried to "slut shame" women athletes and punish them for sexual exuberance?

Imagine the following scenarios and imagine their (RIGHTFUL) backlash:
(1) A professor on campus comments on the promiscuity of the homosexuals on campus.
(2) A professor on campus discusses and bashes the women's rugby team for being lesbians and because of their sexual promiscuity.

*Note, I am using offensive stereotypes because she did as well.

These people are crazy. They want to monitor sexual behavior, only if it is heterosexual and only if it is male-dominated. If a female student was punished for having too many male partners, people would be rightfully losing their mind.

I know there are people on this board that want to monitor people's sexual preferences. If you're consistent, monitor it across the board for all people (male/female/straight/gay/everything in between), I disagree with you, but at least you're consistent.

One of you is a student-athlete, at best

What is she implying here? That he may not be a student?

This is enough. Enough talk as well about building an “athletes’ village” (where athletes will live together in isolated harmony; that will undoubtedly give them a further sense of their privileged status). Those plans should be scrapped immediately, the funds reallocated to the cause of real education.

Many of the funds are from donations specifically given to the village.

Eliminating an athletics program is possible; it was done at the University of California, San Diego (a highly reputed institution where the administration had the courage to say basta! to the degraded culture of Division 1 sports).

Anyone know what she is talking about here? It's certainly not their football programs. And what she probably doesn't realize is that if you eliminate the football program, you'll have to eliminate many other sports due to Title IX and lack of funding.

Professors with her thought process should take the moral high road as her beliefs clearly dictate and only teach at universities where there are no athletics. To not do so is akin to an alcoholic hanging out in bars or a devout Christian attending a satanism gathering...it's a complete contradiction. University of Minnesota has had athletics forever and will continue to do so feel free to take your opinion to a university that doesn't have them.
She wants the U to become the Reed College of the midwest.

The football team has probably produced more NFL players than this person has produced professionals in the field of comparative literature. What a waste of time.

She just enables people to take this class and then go on to complain about student loans and difficulties finding a job

"When Professor Keya Ganguly who teaches “cultural studies” hosts a “teach-in” in which she explicitly pushes to boycott the culture of my people – you have failed."

A Futile Letter From a Student to Academia

Link

I'm starting to look forward to the day that the U goes bankrupt, and all of these people are out of a job. It will be here sooner than we think.

She wants the U to become the Reed College of the midwest.

Ah yes, Reed College, the school whose students berated a Lesbian filmmaker who was brave enough to make a movie about transgenderism in 1999 for not being up to their 2016 standards.

Ah yes, Reed College, the school whose students berated a Lesbian filmmaker who was brave enough to make a movie about transgenderism in 1999 for not being up to their 2016 standards.
The college with no athletics and many tribalist feminists.

I'm starting to look forward to the day that the U goes bankrupt, and all of these people are out of a job. It will be here sooner than we think.
There's been a lot of stupid things said over the last week or so, but this is pretty near the top of the pile.

There's been a lot of stupid things said over the last week or so, but this is pretty near the top of the pile.

The student loan bubble is about to burst, the U has huge long term liabilities. Lots of different directions things could go, but status quo for higher ed is not for long. Universities are completely dependent on, and look down with scorn, at the general public. Rough combo.

Is it permissible to publicly talk about Wolitarsky since he is a student?

"I have news for Wolitarsky and Claeys: It is not your program to take back. One of you is a student-athlete, at best;"

Is it permissible to publicly talk about Wolitarsky since he is a student?

"I have news for Wolitarsky and Claeys: It is not your program to take back. One of you is a student-athlete, at best;"

My question for this loon would be: Whose program is it?

Top Bottom