U of M students go nuts

gopheraschells

Reaction score
u of m students went nutz for spring jam, lighting fires in the streets, and tearing down road signs before riot police broke it up with tear gas, i was there and i know some football players were there too. hopefully none of them got to envolved...police handled it poorly by the way, there is tear gas still being shot an hour after the initial shot

hope there was not too much damage that isn't easily repairable

i get the whole idea of college kids blowing off some steam (i was one of them back in the day). but i think when it gets to the point of baseless property destruction & vandalism for the sole purpose of just destroying stuff (usually in a drunken state) then it starts to look pretty lame on the students part. :(

however, something tells me the people who are usually doing most of the vandalizing when these things go down on college campuses are often not even students at "said" school.

sure hope there was not any vandalism that went down near the new stadium.

All the stuff happened on 14th and 7th by dinkytown. i heard they lit cars on fire. they also made a bonfire using empty beer cases. my guess is this is a taste of what may come next fall during homecoming.

What a bunch of morons. Makes the U and the city look silly. I can't wait for the article where they talk to some kids and they say the police went way overboard in their reaction and that it was just a small fire that they had set in the street and the police should relax.

Spring Jam is the ugly, red-headed stepchild of Homecoming that sits in the corner, craps themselves, and eats Elmer's glue.

This sounds more like a backlot party gone awry than a bona fide riot.

The worst part was at 10:45 when the Russian Ballet ended at Northrop and a ton of those more sophisticated people had to cross a crazy Frat Row to get to their parking ramp.

i was there and unless it got crazier once they srated shooting tear gas there were no cars on fire. The cops did handle the situation very poorly though. There was a huge crowd there in the street all day acting respectable. If the cops and the U wouldnt take an all or nothing approach to these things it wouldnt happen. If they would have just posted one cop sitting in there from the start, not handing out minors or anything but just making sure there was order it never would have happened. The fews kids that started it either would not have or would have been arrested before it got any worse. Also there were football players there, and from what i saw they did a good job keeping out of it. One was making sure the other ones werent drinking anything and staying out of the mess

i was there and unless it got crazier once they srated shooting tear gas there were no cars on fire.

I left about 90 minutes before tear gas starting flying, and I hadn't seen any cars tipped or on fire. The fires were all just garbage (mostly empty beer boxes).

Also there were football players there, and from what i saw they did a good job keeping out of it. One was making sure the other ones werent drinking anything and staying out of the mess

Really? We ran into a bunch of football players at another, much more controlled party that was hosting a "Beer Olympics" under a tent. The guys I actually saw were all upperclassman (legal to drink) and were having a good time. Assuming you correctly IDed the players you saw, good to hear there were voices of reason among teammates to keep one another out of trouble - though avoiding the situation all together would probably be the wisest decision in this case. That's why we left... the situation was clearly getting a bit out of control.

I live off of 7th St and 13th Ave. I'm glad I was out having a few drinks elsewhere in the metro! I was trying to figure out what the explosions I heard when I got back around 12:30 were.

This area looks like HELL this morning. Shit everywhere. I picked some up trash morning, but we need some forced community service people to clean this up!

All the stuff happened on 14th and 7th by dinkytown. i heard they lit cars on fire. they also made a bonfire using empty beer cases. my guess is this is a taste of what may come next fall during homecoming.

Oh, rumors...there were no cars on fire, just a fire in the middle of the street out of empty beer cases. It was a block party gone a little too far I think, the police didn't handle it great, but there were a handful of "students" obviously not handling anything very well.

I'm not sure how much damage was done, and you have to realize any damage is done by a small minority of people.

I love how people pass on illegal activity as "the cops handled it wrong". Don't do illegal activities and you wouldn't have to worry about the cops taking any action.

re:

Oh, rumors...there were no cars on fire, just a fire in the middle of the street out of empty beer cases. It was a block party gone a little too far I think, the police didn't handle it great, but there were a handful of "students" obviously not handling anything very well.

I'm not sure how much damage was done, and you have to realize any damage is done by a small minority of people.

Oh..is that all it was? [Just] a "fire in the middle of the [public] street out of empty beer cases." Since this entire episode was the 'fault of law enforcement,' was it MPD who used too much starter and piled the beer cases too high?

Is it just me, or is arson no longer a felony?

Oh..is that all it was? [Just] a "fire in the middle of the [public] street out of empty beer cases." Since this entire episode was the 'fault of law enforcement,' was it MPD who used too much starter and piled the beer cases too high?

Sigh...is it a requirement to twist words and exaggerate meaning when making a point on a message board.

I didn't start the fire. I didn't have anything to do with the fire. Nowhere did I commend the act of making the fire. It was a dumb and most likely alcohol fueled act and the people who did it knew what the consequences were, knew that the police would come, knew what they were getting into.

The point I was making was that no cars were on fire. Just because people made bad choices doesn't mean we should exaggerate and spread rumors. I was trying to make the point that it didn't appear that much property was damaged, not to defend the act, but to give an honest look at the event, and show that hopefully the aftermath isn't at all bad. But I guess that's not really the message board way, huh?

if the cops would have handled it right from the beginning none of this would have happened. I dont have a problem with the way they broke it up but it never should have gotten to that point. Your an idiot if you think everyone there was causing havoc. Most people were just watching, only like 30 people were breaking stuff. Like i said before if the cops would have just posted 1 cop in there before this started to stop the few who began this mess none of it would have happened

Arson? :rolleyes: Of course it is, Becky. :rolleyes: This is an obvious case of arson and a felony. :clap: Bring in the investigators from Freakfest and the Mifflin St. block parties!

if the cops would have handled it right from the beginning none of this would have happened. I dont have a problem with the way they broke it up but it never should have gotten to that point. Your an idiot if you think everyone there was causing havoc. Most people were just watching, only like 30 people were breaking stuff. Like i said before if the cops would have just posted 1 cop in there before this started to stop the few who began this mess none of it would have happened

try viewing it from a police officers point-of-view as well. i am guessing there were only about 50 of them and probably a few hundred drunk students. when you are dealing with those types of numbers you don't have time as a police officer to sort through the entire crowd and decide one-by-one who may or may not try and cause trouble when they are attempting to break up the main group of offenders. just get everyone moving and tell them to "call it a night". oh well. tough sh!t.

white, mostly suburban, privileged college kids "rioting" is such a frickin' joke! did mom and dad not deposit enough into the checking account this month for extra beer?! :drink: :rolleyes:

There is a pretty good video on the kare 11 website. Kare 11 Video. The kid falling off his bike at the end is pretty hilarious.

I was not there, but if cops arrived and were greeted by some unruly students throwing beer bottles and rocks at them then there actions afterward were justifiable and handled correctly, not poorly. The people who handled it poorly were those throwing bottles, debris and rocks at police officers, and those setting fires in the middle of the street.

in no way am i saying that the police werent justified in doing what they did. I am saying that the end result was unneccessary. I was in that area most of the day and nothing bad was going down just drinking. I am saying that if there was a cop or two there just watching with the mindset of if your drinking fine, but once you start breaking stuff im going to arrest you. It always starts with a few individuals, you stop them early nothing would happen. This was basically a perfect storm for this happening, last year it was like 20 degrees windy and snowing so people were a little to excited, plus the minnesota daily having as the headline in the paper NO PARTY PATROL FOR SPRING JAM, and the fact that the concert for spring jam was cancelled that night. Anyway, the main point of me starting this point was to give kudos to the football players because from what i saw they composed themselves

There is a pretty good video on the kare 11 website. Kare 11 Video. The kid falling off his bike at the end is pretty hilarious.

I was not there, but if cops arrived and were greeted by some unruly students throwing beer bottles and rocks at them then there actions afterward were justifiable and handled correctly, not poorly. The people who handled it poorly were those throwing bottles, debris and rocks at police officers, and those setting fires in the middle of the street.

there are two parts in that KARE 11 video which are just hilarious. 1.) the idiot kid who keeps walking like a tough guy towards the officers when they tell him to turn around and go the other way so they get him in the stomach with a rubber/foam bullet. he falls to the grass holding his stomach and moaning like a baby. 2.) the other douche standing up on his bike with one arm in the air while riding down the sidewalk. he tries to grab a low tree branch hanging over the sidewalk and simultaneously wipes out and does a head flip over his handle bars and face plants into the sidewalk. :D

Let's see....who would be at fault here?
A bunch of drunk idiots, out of control, breaking laws.....or police using necessary means to uphold the laws that make us civilized.
Gee....that's a tough one.

re:

Let's see....who would be at fault here?
A bunch of drunk idiots, out of control, breaking laws.....or police using necessary means to uphold the laws that make us civilized.
Gee....that's a tough one.

You are correct, just don't try reasoning with the doof named after a beer! If those frat babies want a babysitter, they could always contract with KinderCare.

You are correct, just don't try reasoning with the doof named after a beer! If those frat babies want a babysitter, they could always contract with KinderCare.

have you read any of my posts...go back to your becky board

maybe this along with the new on campus stadium will finally get us on the top 10 party school list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, what is the Administration at the U of M going to do about cracking down on the less than legal under age 21 drinking that happens at the University of Minnesota? If it is not legal for people under 21 to drink, it is not legal. Arrest those who would break the law. It is as easy as that. Crack down on drunk and disorderly conduct on the Univesty of Minnesota. Once again the students are proving they can not handle booze and someone is going to get killed over there one of these days in one of these drunken incidents.

The chief administrators at the University of Minnesota should be taken to task for turning a blind eye to the outrageous amount of under-aged drinking that happens on their campus. Those administrators must be held accountable from the top down to the heads of the dorms. And the students who destroy property and start fires need to be eleminated from the University of Minnesota for good. Hunt down the culprets. Expell them from the University. Make examples of them. I don't want my taxes spent supporting drunken idiot students who riot, destroy property and break the law.

Hold the president of the University of Minnesota personally responsible for everything that happens on his watch. Somebody needs to be in charge over there at the University of Minnesota. If the president of the University is derelect in his duty and allows drunken students to riot, the president needs to go.

Situations like this bring a lot of disgrace to the University of Minnesota and probably have something to do with decreased state aid to the Unviersity. Enough is enough. Are they trying to run an "animal house" over there on the East Bank Campus? Cut their funds if they can't control their drunken, rioting students! One of these days some people are going to be seriously injured or will do some serious damage to the neighborhood. Damage that can't be undone. Drunks do incrediby stupid things and drunks hurt people. Either intentionally or unintentionally.

With the new stadium opening this year, the University Administrators had better do something fast to combat out of control drinking and binge drinking on the University of Minnesota campus. Students, adults, football fans, visiting fans who drink too much will all need to be dealt with swiftly and sevrely on Game Day Saturdays. Public drunks and disorderly conduct can not be accepted as part of college football. Throw the bums in jail if they are drunk and disorderly!

So, what is the Administration at the U of M going to do about cracking down on the less than legal under age 21 drinking that happens at the University of Minnesota? If it is not legal for people under 21 to drink, it is not legal. Arrest those who would break the law. It is as easy as that. Crack down on drunk and disorderly conduct on the Univesty of Minnesota. Once again the students are proving they can not handle booze and someone is going to get killed over there one of these days in one of these drunken incidents.

QUOTE]

good luck with busting everyone that is drinking underage...dont pin this on all university students. 99.99% of the students had no part of this, 7 of the 12 arrested dont even go to the U, instead of making unrealistic assertions the police should have people walking the street during events such as this and arrest the people that are the ones thrwoing bottles and starting this mess, bothering the people that arent being a menace is a waste of resources. the whole point of this thread was to compliment the gopher football team on staying out of it and being resonisble...so lets just leave it at that

Top Bottom