Tyrone Carter

The guy can't put a single sentence together. Acts like an idiot. Nobody will listen to him or certainly not hire him. Yep that's a good microcosm of our society.
Except the fact that plenty of people do listen to him and he’s tied in to a lot of places and groups in the city. Sounds like you’re speaking on something you don’t actually know about.

This is another example of how fans only care about players in relation to what they do to help their favorite team win, even guys like TC who did more for this program on the field than almost any other player of the past 30 years. This is why players should never buy into the fan rhetoric of loyalty. Most of the people in the stands don’t really care a lick about you.

Except the fact that plenty of people do listen to him and he’s tied in to a lot of places and groups in the city. Sounds like you’re speaking on something you don’t actually know about.

What's to know? The guy comes across as a dysfunctional idiot. LIke some of the other posters, I do think there are likely some mental health or concussion issues. HE is the one complaining that nobody listens to him (I'm sure he means the U of MN), and that nobody will hire him. Got news for you. You aren't going to land a Fortune 500 job because you intercepted a bunch of passes. But the U will sure trade that for a damn fine education, and assist in putting you in front of decision makers. And those passes you intercepted? They sure will give you a leg up in an interview setting, as there might be some name recognition.

This is another example of how fans only care about players in relation to what they do to help their favorite team win, even guys like TC who did more for this program on the field than almost any other player of the past 30 years. This is why players should never buy into the fan rhetoric of loyalty. Most of the people in the stands don’t really care a lick about you.
I would argue TC's level of care for the U and etc seems to vary just as wildly, if not more.

He sounds like Antonio Brown who lost his marbles. I think he should donate his brain for cte research when he passes on. What a clown.

What's to know? The guy comes across as a dysfunctional idiot. LIke some of the other posters, I do think there are likely some mental health or concussion issues. HE is the one complaining that nobody listens to him (I'm sure he means the U of MN), and that nobody will hire him. Got news for you. You aren't going to land a Fortune 500 job because you intercepted a bunch of passes. But the U will sure trade that for a damn fine education, and assist in putting you in front of decision makers. And those passes you intercepted? They sure will give you a leg up in an interview setting, as there might be some name recognition.
Hm. Maybe the man does have issues. I don't know. Maybe some folks are actually concerned about said potential issues. Just seems like many are dismissive because of the opinion posited.

I do not know Tyrone Carter personally. Publicly though I question his tactics and methodology of communicating with the public, specifically the youth. I would hesitate to send my kid to his training school If this is how he behaves. In my opinion, there are better ways to communicate and send a message than acting the same age as the ones you're supposed to mentor...nothing is accomplished and the cycle continues.

Even hinting at the fact that the state didn't build a stadium for Dennis Green but built one for a white coach. Totally skipped over the fact that the Vikings have new ownership and when the stadium was built the team president was a African-American.

Not to mention, when the stadium was approved by the Minnesota legislature in May of 2012.....the Vikings head coach was get this.....a black man (Leslie Frazier).

So if you think he has mental or concussion issues, why do you go on with your criticism following that assessment? Saying things about someone who you have assessed to have mental issues is over the line don't you think?

Hm. Maybe the man does have issues. I don't know. Maybe some folks are actually concerned about said potential issues. Just seems like many are dismissive because of the opinion posited.
I won't speak for others, but to me, it's not that he has a dissenting viewpoint. It's how you articulate your point that makes you either look believable or like you've lost your marbles. I don't follow the dude on twitter (i don't even use it), so it's just based on the tweets posted here. What many people fail to understand (especially on social media) is if you spout off random stuff that looks inflammatory, especially using incomplete sentences, etc., it makes it easy for people to dismiss you as crazy. But if you use respect and empathy in your dissent, you are much more likely to get people to agree with you. This is basic stuff you can learn on the HS debate team. You can be much more effective at spreading your message if you do it the right way. Add in the fact that he obviously is still sore over not getting a coaching position, and you can easily dismiss his ranting (especially when presented this way) as having an axe to grind.

I will always have a lot of admiration for TC, as he was the first individual Gopher I really became a fan of as a kid. He might have valid points, but present them in a logical, well laid out way! He is obviously accurate that the U has never had a black HC. However, we all know that pretty much at any point if Tony Dungy expressed interest in the past, he would have had the job handed to him. While his point is still accurate, to say that the U wouldn't be open to a black coach is nonsense.

He did a 35 minute rant on Facebook. I just skipped through it quick. I’m not sure he’ll be working for the Vikings after this, because he went after them too. Apparently, the reason they haven’t won a Super Bowl, is because Minnesota has “too much dirt in their soil.” And he thinks the team screwed him over in 2004.

Why would the university apologize for them gangbanging a girl

They don't owe them an apology for that, they owe them an apology for releasing their names and have the president of the university imply they were guilty. Unfortunately, in this day and age, the U could not apologize to them (the blue-hairs would go crazy), but I do believe they deserve an apology.

I think TC is right on that point. However, I do genuinely believe something is off. He was a big PJ fan last year, he used to do the Fox 9 post-game coverage and he was always positive about Fleck. I think he does feel some sour grapes re: lack of coaching opportunities.

Yall act like its not possible for TC, an alum who is also very well connected amongst local athletes and who probably knows more about the ins and outs of our program and D1 FB in general to have different insight into things than the average message board fan. Especially when he’s discussing issues pertaining to black players, I find it interesting that so many posters (most of who Id assume are white) are writing him off as crazy without the knowledge behind it. Seems like an ironic microcosm of our society...

The ironic microcosm is that you would jump to that as the reason people are dismissing him.

People are dismissing him because of the way in which he is carrying himself. This is a guy that has flamed the University of several occasions and then came back. He is a guy who was super positive on Fleck as of last November, now he goes on angry Facebook tirades. He is bipolar in his love and hate o the U. He has lashed out several times after not getting opportunities to coach here.

Lastly, do you really think this board's reaction to Tyrone is unique? You ever seen a Jerry Kill thread where he insults the U or Fleck?

Yall act like its not possible for TC, an alum who is also very well connected amongst local athletes and who probably knows more about the ins and outs of our program and D1 FB in general to have different insight into things than the average message board fan. Especially when he’s discussing issues pertaining to black players, I find it interesting that so many posters (most of who Id assume are white) are writing him off as crazy without the knowledge behind it. Seems like an ironic microcosm of our society...
If he knew some terrible truths about the program or something you'd think he'd be a bit more consistent about his vitriol towards the U and people there ...rather it seems to follow his whims.

Like he knows some thing(s) ... but he was ok with it when he wanted a job?

I hope he’s not mentoring kids.
As of a couple years ago he was coaching youth football. There was a thread here about him forfeiting out of a tournament because he didn't like the reffing (thought his team was being treated differently).

Racism is on the forefront of a lot of people's minds these days. First the former Iowa players now T.C. He is showing us why he hasn't been hired for a corporate or University job, serious lack of judgement and professionalism. I loved watching him play for the Gophs and the Vikes but it appears he has a screw loose and is trying to place blame for his inability to land great jobs.

Correlation/causation.

Specifically referring to how he’s handled himself in recent years. He’s not someone I’d like as a mentor.

Actually, talk to the kids and the parents he mentors. Look at the achievements of his own children.

I think Tyrone Carter is a good dude. He is mostly just going on about the players who were (IMO) treated incorrectly by the U of MN. Ironically enough, it was the work of Mike Freeman that helped let the truth shine in that case.

I don't think TC is entirely wrong. The U handled that situation horribly (Kaler and Coyle). We've had success since then and that has made a lot of people forget the situation but it will always be something that I think of when it comes to those two.

I wish TC would be handling it differently because he is coming off a little unhinged. I also don't really see good an apology really does. Lastly, the U is in a terrible situation now (created by Kaler and Coyle's handling of the situation). They cannot apologize to the former players, the blue hairs will go absolutely crazy. If they don't apologize to the players, another group will burn them. This is an example of the dangers of mob rule/cancel culture BS, eventually it has to fight itself. The institutions that cave into it are forced to stay in limbo.

I think Tyrone Carter is a good dude. He is mostly just going on about the players who were (IMO) treated incorrectly by the U of MN. Ironically enough, it was the work of Mike Freeman that helped let the truth shine in that case.

I don't think TC is entirely wrong. The U handled that situation horribly (Kaler and Coyle). We've had success since then and that has made a lot of people forget the situation but it will always be something that I think of when it comes to those two.

I wish TC would be handling it differently because he is coming off a little unhinged. I also don't really see good an apology really does. Lastly, the U is in a terrible situation now (created by Kaler and Coyle's handling of the situation). They cannot apologize to the former players, the blue hairs will go absolutely crazy. If they don't apologize to the players, another group will burn them. This is an example of the dangers of mob rule/cancel culture BS, eventually it has to fight itself. The institutions that cave into it are forced to stay in limbo.

Not only that, but after four years I'd assume majority of the players have moved on with life in some capacity - different schools, restarted their lives, etc. I am sure they would appreciate an apology in private and they deserve that, but I would think the last thing they want would be a big public apology that puts that night back in the public eye.

Correlation/causation.

Specifically referring to how he’s handled himself in recent years. He’s not someone I’d like as a mentor.
Agree. Would not send the great grandsons that way. He is angry right now and so are a ton of other folks. Thinking well is diminished during anger.

Some of them probably wish TC would quit bringing this up and posting photos after all these years. For example, Winfield wasn’t even there, yet you wouldn’t know it by reading these posts.

Honestly, a lot of his argument comes off as incoherent rambling. If he wants an apology from the U for the way that situation was handled, I understand. He might have some standing there.

But the rest of it heads down the deepest of rabbit holes. The Vikings? Dennis Green? Fortune 500 companies? Lack of black head coaches at the U? And when directly asked if he took his request to Fleck, the board of directors or anybody else of authority at the U on Twitter, he claims he doesn't trust any of them. Then why are you asking for the U for an apology if you're not willing to go to them? I don't understand that at all.

Then he seems to flip from ripping Fleck to saying he doesn't blame him. It's just all over the place.

Add it all up and it looks unhinged.

Hoping this can get resolved in a positive manner, but wow, trying to follow Carter's thoughts here is really difficult.

See what I mean? It’s been 4 years, and TC isn’t doing them any favors by digging it up again, and posting pictures. Ray Buford wants no part of it.

Top Bottom