Tyrone Carter wants to coach at the U! “This is the place I need to be.”

Earlier in this thread, station 19 mentioned Tony Dungy.

Tony ended his NFL career in 1980 at the NY Giants training camp. He then coached the Gophers defensive backs that fall (no prior coaching expeience). The next year Dungy returned to the NFL and began his successful professional coaching career.

I suspect there are several similar examples at other institutions of an alumnus returning to his alma mater to coach without coaching experience on his resume.

Go Gophers!!

I don't know why the hate for TC on this thread. Everyone wanted to get Mike Sherels on the coaching staff in any capacity and they want Tyrone Carter to coach D3 and work his way up the ladder? I'm sure the 1-2 seasons Mike Sherels coached at Prior Lake gave him way more expierience than what Carter got in the NFL (insert sarcasam). I'm not saying promote TC to defensive coordinator or anything, but I agree GA, administrative, and move up. If he is interested I wouldn't push him away and tell him to coach at one of the metro D3s and get expierience.

What recruit wouldn't want to talk to a Super Bowl Champion and Jim Thorpe Award recipient? Put him on your staff fast Jerry!!
Re-Quoting my Quote. It's all about recruiting.

Re-Quoting my Quote. It's all about recruiting.

What evidence is there that he would be a good recruiter, or that he knows anything at all about recruiting, or anything at all about coaching, for that matter?

What evidence is there that he would be a good recruiter, or that he knows anything at all about recruiting, or anything at all about coaching, for that matter?

That's the good thing about a bi-polar board. You don't need any evidence.

4 years of college and 10 years in the NFL tells me he knows a thing or 2 about football.

As for recruiting, he is young and should be able to relate well with kids. Has a good story that many kids can relate to.

Can't figure out why you are against this?

4 years of college and 10 years in the NFL tells me he knows a thing or 2 about football.

As for recruiting, he is young and should be able to relate well with kids. Has a good story that many kids can relate to.

Can't figure out why you are against this?

Where did I say I was against it? I want to see some evidence of football coaching and/or recruiting ability. I didn't say that he doesn't know anything about football. He obviously knows a lot. The list of guys that know a lot about their respective sport (and were very good at playing it) and nonetheless absolutely suck at being a coach, GM, etc. is a mile long. Guys like Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Matt Millen, Magic Johnson, etc. immediately jump to mind. People are advocating for him on the basis of nothing more than, "he is an alum who played in the NFL". Playing (not coaching) experience in the NFL should be approximately #300 on the list of qualifications for any college football coach, and being an alumnus of the respective school should be approximately #301. Instead (on this board in particular) they seem to both be in the Top 5. If he is a good coach and/or recruiter, I want him here. I don't want him here solely because he's a former Gopher player. His alumni affiliation should bring almost zero weight to the conversation.

If he's a good fit and Kill is willing, bring him on board. It's great to see a distinguished athletic alum want to come back and contribute. It shouldn't be an automatic hire and with Kill around, I'm sure it wouldn't be one.

I don't know why the hate for TC on this thread. Everyone wanted to get Mike Sherels on the coaching staff in any capacity and they want Tyrone Carter to coach D3 and work his way up the ladder? I'm sure the 1-2 seasons Mike Sherels coached at Prior Lake gave him way more expierience than what Carter got in the NFL (insert sarcasam). I'm not saying promote TC to defensive coordinator or anything, but I agree GA, administrative, and move up. If he is interested I wouldn't push him away and tell him to coach at one of the metro D3s and get expierience.

Have not noticed much hate at all. There are going to be questions because at the D1 level guys don't typically just jump in at the position coach level. They have to work up through the ranks as a GA and so on as has been mentioned.

That being said if TC can prove some coaching and recruiting ability he would be a huge addition to the staff because he would bring instant credibility when meeting with a recruit given how successful he was as a player during his time at the U. Plus being from Florida I would think he would be able to relate to recruits down there which is of course key when you live in a part of the country where very little speed is available.

Certainly not a slam dunk but if tosses himself into coaching and proves to have the right ability/dedication to make it at the BIG level I would love to see him on the staff at some point in the near future.

There's no hate for TC in this thread. Graduate Assistants tend to be recent graduates, they don't tend to be 36 years old. Coach Kill can make whatever hiring decisions he thinks is best. But suggesting that he take take an assistant job at a D-III or D-II school to get some experience isn't hate and isn't pushing him away. If he got some coaching experience at a D-III school and did well, he could just wait for an opening on the Gophers' coaching staff.

I think Coach Kill knows the coaching skills/talent he is looking for in his staff. If TC is a good fit, and given his involvement to this point, I suspect he is...Coach Kill can make it happen if feasible and an opening is there.

1. This would be a lot more intelligent discussion if certain people who are commenting had actually read the article.

2. As someone else pointed out, there's no hate for Tyrone Carter in this thread. There's only skepticism based on his complete lack of coaching experience. It makes sense for him to find a lower level coaching job and bide his time until there's room on the Gophers staff if - if coach Kill even wants him, which is not assured.

I love Tyrone Carter. So much so that it's almost unmanly. He was my favorite Gopher when he played, and I'll never forget sitting in the upper deck of the end zone for the Syracuse game and watching him dominate. I hope that he ends up coaching at the U, if he has the ability. Not everyone has the ability to coach.

This is some funny *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#e.

T Carter has been around every level possible for football for.....20 plus years? Why the hell would anyone think he could learn one damn thing from a gym teacher coaching highschool football?

The NFL is full of coaches who started out at the pro level. Hell even GA's start out at the college level. I know of a certain young man whose first coaching job was at the college level.

Carter coaching highschool so he can get a college job? Negro please :)

Just dawned on me the best thing about that story that I have not seen mentioned yet.

He is going to get into coaching somewhere and work his way up through the system. The awesome news for all of us is that if he proves to be successful his dream job is to coach at the University of Minnesota. Who knows if he will have what it takes to cut it in coaching but if he does it is nice to know there is a guy out there that wants to end up here. And frankly TC is a guy I would not bet against.

Where did I say I was against it? I want to see some evidence of football coaching and/or recruiting ability. I didn't say that he doesn't know anything about football. He obviously knows a lot. The list of guys that know a lot about their respective sport (and were very good at playing it) and nonetheless absolutely suck at being a coach, GM, etc. is a mile long. Guys like Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Matt Millen, Magic Johnson, etc. immediately jump to mind. People are advocating for him on the basis of nothing more than, "he is an alum who played in the NFL". Playing (not coaching) experience in the NFL should be approximately #300 on the list of qualifications for any college football coach, and being an alumnus of the respective school should be approximately #301. Instead (on this board in particular) they seem to both be in the Top 5. If he is a good coach and/or recruiter, I want him here. I don't want him here solely because he's a former Gopher player. His alumni affiliation should bring almost zero weight to the conversation.

Frankly I don't care about his recruiting ability or even coaching ability at this point. In all likelihood he would be "hired" as a grad assistant so he can learn about coaching and do the grunt work for the other coaches. I say hired because its a very low paying position with time requirements and classes that would likely put it below minimum wage.

While I wouldn't push anyone out I make a spot for him, I would find it odd if he wasn't offered a GA position once one is available.

For those that say he's too old to be a grad assistant, remember Mitch Browning was one at Tennessee even after a 20 year coaching career.

The people suggesting he coach high school or D3 before the U should offer him anything illustrates the lack of knowledge our fan base has.

Don't many of us Gopher fans appreciate that Kill can keep his staff together? Why try and screw with what has worked for Kill for over a decade? Keep the current staff together if possible. It's worked before, and it will work here as well.

Can he coach?

And by that I mean, "Can he teach football?"

He would have to live up to the high standards of teacher-coaches like Jim Tressel's 23 yeard old nephew. Font of wisdom! Teach me, ye wise one!

I believe you were being sarcastic, but Tressel's nephew really is an amazing teacher and coach. He has already made a difference in the lives of many young people. Sometimes age is not as important as what is inside.

Top Bottom