Tyrone Carter wants to coach at the U! “This is the place I need to be.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Great article by the MN Daily on my all time favorite Gopher:

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/10/02/transition-tyrone-carter

His family is currently in the process of moving from Florida to Minnesota.

His wife, April, is originally from the Minnesota area, and he said she’s thrilled to return.

She said she will always have a place in her heart for the Steelers organization and what they did for her after her injury. She said she had a great time traveling around the world watching her husband play. But now she’s happy to be home.

“She’s sacrificed a lot for me in my career,” Carter said, “and now it’s time for me to sacrifice for her.”

Carter has already completed a coaching internship with the Steelers, but said he ultimately wants to coach the Gophers.

“The state of Minnesota has been nothing but good to me throughout my career,” he said. “This is the place I need to be.”

Go Gophers!!

Can he coach?

And by that I mean, "Can he teach football?"

He would have to live up to the high standards of teacher-coaches like Jim Tressel's 23 yeard old nephew. Font of wisdom! Teach me, ye wise one!

I guess he approves of Kill.

I've always believed that the X's and O's of coaching is the easy part, while the relating to players and being able to motivate is what separates the good from the not-so-good. Tyrone shouldn't get full credit, but he has already shown that he can relate to, and motivate young men, with the turnaround he was a part of with his cousin Michael. I hope this happens. It's always nice to have excited former players come back to coach...especially those that have some name recognition.

I see no downside to this hire. His radio interview on the day of the Cuse game was a great display of affection for how MN has treated him.

He could take an assistant job at one of the colleges in the metro area until a position opens at the U. It would give him a stronger coaching resume.

He's helped turn his nephew around...seems like that is a very good start...also, though Coach Kill has done a very good job at keeping his staff together, that cannot last forever.

Hire him as an assistant coach of some kind now. he should be able to relate well the players and his help with the d backs could really help some kids progress. unless theres some ncaa rule about number of coaches or something. then "hire" him as an intern :D

It just makes sense to give the best tackler in recent Gophers history a shot at coaching current players on how to tackle.

Doesn't have to be a position coach right away or anything, but any opportunity to get him involved seems like a win-win.

I agree. We should take him on as a "consulting coach" or something of that nature to give him a try and see if there is somewhere he could fit in the organization. Even if he does not become a part of the staff, I think his presence in the Twin Cities and his enthusiasm for the Gophers should be utilized in some way.

I think he could be a heckuva recruiter.

I too like the guy but let's leave it to Coach Kill to decide if Tyrone or anyone else should be part of the coaching staff.

If he can't coach, I don't care one iota what his alumni affiliation is. If he can coach, awesome - welcome aboard! But I don't foresee any openings on the staff in the near future, nor do I want on a Big Ten staff a position coach who has zero paid coaching experience of any kind. Further, a guy like Sherels is "in line" ahead of a guy like Carter anyway. If Carter can get a job in the MAC or MVC, and then come looking for a job here in 3-4 years, that seems like a more appropriate way to handle it. If they're moving here, I don't see that happening, and I don't appreciate when guys think they can skip steps because of who they are/were.

Most coaches start off as Grad Assistants with a couple new ones each year. Get him lined up to start in the Spring if there is an opening.

What recruit wouldn't want to talk to a Super Bowl Champion and Jim Thorpe Award recipient? Put him on your staff fast Jerry!!

What recruit wouldn't want to talk to a Super Bowl Champion and Jim Thorpe Award recipient? Put him on your staff fast Jerry!!

If we want a Super Bowl champion/Jim Thorpe Award winner, let's hire Terrell Buckley. He is actually a coach already and has experience.

Has anyone ever mentioned Tony Dungy?

Ackbar.jpg

T-Buck! came to the pack and said he would beat Dick Night Train Lane's record. nope.

Hopefully he can have conversations with Kill. If he can mesh with Kill, then I think that there could be a very bright future for Tyrone here. I think that Kill and staff would be very good at grooming him. Grad assistant or Quality Control would be a very good start. My guess is Mr. Carter could handle a season or two at this salary while learning the ropes.

BTW Maybe coach Frazier could be a mentor as well.

Personally, I don't think it means a hill of beans, but isn't a college degree required for any coaching position at the University of Minnesota? I don't think Tyrone left the University with a degree. Perhaps he has received once since his departure?

Personally, I don't think it means a hill of beans, but isn't a college degree required for any coaching position at the University of Minnesota? I don't think Tyrone left the University with a degree. Perhaps he has received once since his departure?

That is exactly what I was wondering. He needs to finish his degree first if he hasn't.

If TC really wants to be a coach, then I think he needs to lay a foundation - get a job with one of the high schools in the Twin Cities, or maybe one of the D3 colleges, and start from the ground up. (As an Augsburg grad, I'd love to see him help the Auggies' defense....).

Unless you're really connected (or a coaches' kid), you're not going to land your 1st-ever coaching gig at a D1 school. Again, if TC is serious about this, spend a few years as a position coach at a good HS or small-college program, and build a resume. If he shows any aptitude toward coaching the 2 Super bowl rings will make him an attractive candidate for a D1 school - or maybe land a job with an NFL team. Down the line, if there is an opening with the Gophs, and TC has paid his dues, I have to think he would be given strong consideration.

Straight from the article

In addition to his on-field accolades, Carter finished his college career a University graduate.

In addition to his on-field accolades, Carter finished his college career a University graduate.

Awesome!!! Seriously, this is bigger news than anything written in the article.

Last time the U hired based on recruiting abilities, we got stuck with Brewster. Let's go with he could be a good coach.

Big difference between a head coach and an assistant fairly low on the totem pole.

Mike Vrabel is just one example of a former player with ZERO coaching experience to become a college assistant (at Ohio State, no less). Ken Norton Jr became linebackers coach at USC with only high school coaching on his resume. Tyrone doesn't "need" to coach at a lower level before coaching at Minnesota.

Mike Vrabel is just one example of a former player with ZERO coaching experience to become a college assistant (at Ohio State, no less). Ken Norton Jr became linebackers coach at USC with only high school coaching on his resume. Tyrone doesn't "need" to coach at a lower level before coaching at Minnesota.

Sauter joined the U as a GA without experience. Happens all the time. Sherels is on the staff as a special assistant...he was administrative now he's on the coaching path.

Not that it applies in this case, but I heard yesterday that the NFL pays for guys to go back and get their degree, and it also pays for them to further their education as well, to a certain point...

Top Bottom