Tyler Johnson on Claeys: A pretty cool dude & I am looking forward to playing for him

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tyler Johnson on Claeys: A pretty cool dude & I am looking forward to playing for him

Q&A: Tyler Johnson on Claeys: "A pretty cool dude and I am looking forward to playing for him."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/587497?referrer_id=

Tyler Johnson, a 6-foot-2, 179-pound senior from Minneapolis (MN) North, committed to the Gopher football program this fall. Johnson, who is one of the state's top two-sport athletes, was one of ten finalists for the Mr. Football Award that was announced November 22nd.

Johnson helped lead Minneapolis North to a 12-1 record, losing to Minneota 35-18 in the Prep Bowl. Their 36-35 regular season loss to St. Paul Central was ruled a forfeit as Central used an ineligible player.

Johnson averaged 15.7 points per game as the Polars finished 24-7 on the hardwood as a junior, losing to Marantha 69-67 in overtime. He scored in double figures in all but five games and had eight games of twenty or more points, including a season-high 30 points. Johnson shot 45.9% from the field, 68.0% from the line and 28.3% from beyond the arc. He passed the 1,000 point mark for his career during the season.

Minneapolis North head coach Charles Adams is a big believer in his star player.

"Tyler is not only a great athlete, but a great young man on and off the field. Since Day One, Tyler has been the leader of his team and has led by example both on the field and in the classroom, dedicating himself to North High and his teammates,"

Gopher Hole caught up with Johnson at the Mr. Football Award banquet to learn more about his senior season and becoming a future Gopher.

Gopher Hole: You had a great senior season, leading Minneapolis North to the state championship and were one of ten finalist for the Mr. Football Award. How pleased were you with your senior season?

Tyler Johnson: I'm satisfied. I had a great career at North High School. I'm sad that it had to end, but onto the next chapter.

Gopher Hole: I watched the state championship game and you made some remarkable plays and I've seen online that you have some incredible dunks in basketball. When you watch your highlights, do you ever think, is that really me? Do you surprise even yourself sometimes?

Tyler Johnson: Yes. I do that a lot. I watch games over and over and I just see things and I question like "Dang, I can't believe that I really did that or dang, this happened. It's just crazy that I did that." Afterwards, I just want to do it again

Gopher Hole: We had talked before and you said that you felt a lot of pride for the city of Minneapolis. Your team was the first squad from Minneapolis to ever make it to the Prep Bowl. Was that something that was really important to you guys, not only playing for yourselves, but for the community who really seemed to get behind you this year?

Tyler Johnson: That meant a lot to us. That was something that we were aiming for the whole time. We are playing for North. It just felt good to get out there and play in Prep Bowl. Even though we lost, we have still got a great memory.

Gopher Hole: You are getting ready for the upcoming basketball season. You have made it to the section finals the past two years and this is expected to be your year. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Tyler Johnson: The expectations are very high. As you can see, we have a target on our back once again, so we are looking forward to December 1st when we open our season.

Gopher Hole: Do you think having the experience of the Prep Bowl, since you have other basketball players who also played football, will help you in basketball knowing what it takes to get to the title game?

Tyler Johnson: Definitely. We want to play on the big stage all the time, so we are going to be striving for that, the day that we go to the state championship, all season long.

Gopher Hole: Have you set up your official visit yet at Minnesota?

Tyler Johnson: I'm not sure yet. It was supposed to December 12th, but the way things are working, I might have the ACT and a basketball game that morning.

Gopher Hole: This season, the Gophers have had a lot of injuries, but played well at times. What have you seen from the Gophers this year?

Tyler Johnson: I see that they stayed strong no matter what. They lost Coach Kill, but they were able to bounce back and win. There are good things to look forward with the program. .

Gopher Hole: Did you talk to Coach Claeys much during the recruiting process?

Tyler Johnson: We talked a few times. Once Coach Kill retired, he told me that he was looking forward to being the coach and then once he got the coaching job, he ended up calling me right away. A pretty cool dude and I am looking forward to playing for him.

Gopher Hole: I know that he is a defensive coach. Has he talked to you about wanting you to play defense?

Tyler Johnson: No, no, no. Not yet. I'm still not sure where I am going to end up playing.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that helps having that versatility that you can play both sides of the field and maybe getting playing time right away rather than a kid who is just offense-only or defense-only?

Tyler Johnson: Who knows? Whether I play offense or defense, I am still going to have to go out and practice and show them that I want to be a starter or be a top rotation guy.

Gopher Hole: You had a couple of other Gopher commitments up for the Mr. Football Award in Carter Coughlin from Eden Prairie and Kamal Martin of Burnsville. I know that you have gotten a good friendship. What is the feeling knowing some of these kids that are up for this award and knowing that you are going to be playing with them in college?

Tyler Johnson: You know it is a very high feeling that I have some future teammates that were some finalists for a big award, so that just means that when we are on to the next level, we are expecting big things.

Top Bottom