Two University of Minnesota doctors...eliminating school HS football

Km
I also agree that football leavig schools in the future is not out of the question. There are several other sports which have strong leagues/clubs outside of the schools including hockey, volleyball, gymnastics, soccer etc. The advantage in Minnesota would be to get out under the thumb of the MSHSL and get longer seasons (even if means more weight training or 7 on 7 work). Club volleyball season is twice as long the HS season and junior hockey plays many more games than HS but I don't hear that junior players are more likely to get injured.

So you want more games which creates a greater risk for injury and less recovery time? Repetitive stress injuries are rampant. Look at he the number of acl injuries in girls soccer. There's a fallacy that you have to specialize in a sport and play year you.

Km

So you want more games which creates a greater risk for injury and less recovery time? Repetitive stress injuries are rampant. Look at he the number of acl injuries in girls soccer. There's a fallacy that you have to specialize in a sport and play year you.

I am not saying I am for that--just the opposite personally. However this is happening in these sports and I don't see anything stopping clubs or other leagues from having longer seasons under their control. Someone also mentioned schools may want to get out of the football business due to the injury and liability factor at the high school level. In my area the middle schools dropped football so the high school affiliated "club" team could take it over and start running the exact same drills and plays as the high school teams.

Top Bottom