Twitter spat

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalGopher

Reaction score
What on earth happened between GI and Gopher247? Saw a bunch of tweets with FrothyGopher and Lucas Trickle that looked pretty ugly.

Not sure exactly? I know Burns was taking some crap at GI for being outscooped by 247. Burns said he'd known about Moore since last week but had kept it under his hat at the recruits' request. Said he was in class when this all started coming out today to he was late to the party. Someone else pointed out that 247 didn't get this scoop at all, that some other site Al.Com had it 45 minutes before 247 did.

Not sure exactly? I know Burns was taking some crap at GI for being outscooped by 247. Burns said he'd known about Moore since last week but had kept it under his hat at the recruits' request. Said he was in class when this all started coming out today to he was late to the party. Someone else pointed out that 247 didn't get this scoop at all, that some other site Al.Com had it 45 minutes before 247 did.

I just started following recruiting closely this year. Burns seems like a well connected, stand up guy. I've appreciated the fact that he's clearly had information and has kept it quiet to allow the kid to have his moment in the sun if that's what the player wants. If/when I decide to spend some money to follow recruiting even closer, it's going to be with GI and Burns.

I just started following recruiting closely this year. Burns seems like a well connected, stand up guy. I've appreciated the fact that he's clearly had information and has kept it quiet to allow the kid to have his moment in the sun if that's what the player wants. If/when I decide to spend some money to follow recruiting even closer, it's going to be with GI and Burns.

+1. Ryan is very good.

It's the curse of the 24/7 (not 247) news cycle, especially for guys for whom this isn't everything. If Burns was holding the story at the recruit's request, I applaud him.

I'm less concerned about who gets what first. I'm more concerned about depth of analysis after the fact.

The recruiting sites are a cutthroat business because they have subscribers who expect results. If news is not broken there first, there will likely be an excuse created. It looks better for them to say they took the high road than sorry, I just missed this one. Somestimes it's true but many times not. And it's worse now because the market is oversaturated with pay recruiting sites.

The recruiting sites are a cutthroat business because they have subscribers who expect results. If news is not broken there first, there will likely be an excuse created. It looks better for them to say they took the high road than sorry, I just missed this one. Somestimes it's true but many times not. And it's worse now because the market is oversaturated with pay recruiting sites.

I don't disagree with your basic premise and not being a subscriber, I don't have a horse in the race. And I also realize that my preferences are merely that: mine. If the market wants something else, the market will determine that.

I just kind of laugh at all these "mini-Sids" trying to scoop everyone else.

If I were Burns, in the future, I'd drop a little nugget such as "Got some news on the recruiting front etc. etc." to avoid issues like this whole still respecting the recruits wishes.

I've never understood that. What does it matter if I hear about it now, or 30 minutes from now, what could Joe Public possibly gain? I agree with whoever said it should be about the analysis before/after that should matter not who posted ten minutes before the other site. The funny thing is that they post it all over Twitter, so you don't need to be a subscriber to get the information.

I've never understood that. What does it matter if I hear about it now, or 30 minutes from now, what could Joe Public possibly gain? I agree with whoever said it should be about the analysis before/after that should matter not who posted ten minutes before the other site. The funny thing is that they post it all over Twitter, so you don't need to be a subscriber to get the information.

It isn't necessarily Joe Public that they are trying to impress.

Have you ever watched the ESPN 30 for 30 "Pony Exce$$"? If you watch that, note how many of the guys who were breaking the SMU scandal you recognize. It's amazing how many careers that scandal really made.

It's the same thing - when you're the guy who breaks something you gain respect in the industry, potentially get better jobs, etc.

When players commit, that's true. There is a ton of info you don't get from Twitter though on premium boards. Most commitments aren't even surprising if you are on the premium boards with all the inside info you get throughout the process.

I can't believe people pay money for recruiting news.

I can't believe anyone interacts with Frothy Gopher. Dude's nuttier than a fruitcake.

"Originally Posted by Ski U Master"
I can't believe people pay money for recruiting news.

I couldn't agree with you more doc. Why would anybody want to pay for it when you can get all these expert opinions here absolutely free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom