Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

The Wild are our best shot. I'm not sure the Twins even make the play-offs.
The Wild somewhat quietly have a really really good team this year but OOOF, getting out of that division is going to be incredibly difficult. Barring a healthy mini-slide in the closing weeks by either Vegas or Colorado, Minnesota is going to finish 3rd and have to likely beat both VGK and Colorado just to get out of the division and into the Conference final or semi-final round. Certainly not an enviable task, although MN has typically had VGK's number.

Oh, I almost forgot...

GO KNIGHTS GO!!! GO KNIGHTS GO!!!!

The Wild somewhat quietly have a really really good team this year but OOOF, getting out of that division is going to be incredibly difficult. Barring a healthy mini-slide in the closing weeks by either Vegas or Colorado, Minnesota is going to finish 3rd and have to likely beat both VGK and Colorado just to get out of the division and into the Conference final or semi-final round. Certainly not an enviable task, although MN has typically had VGK's number.

Oh, I almost forgot...

GO KNIGHTS GO!!! GO KNIGHTS GO!!!!
Are the first round series 5 or 7?

Are the first round series 5 or 7?
Everything seems different this year, I haven't dug into it. I can't say for sure

My bartender at T-Mobile last night for the VGK-San Jose game told me that for the playoffs they will be allowing 50% capacity (right now it's been like 15% early and then up to like 20% I think) but also said they were talking about an NHL bubble again. I kinda doubt they will have to do a bubble but I hope not. That would suck

To be completely argumentative, I would still say it was a close call being just 1 game away, playing a team with their back-up QB. They even jumped to an early 7-0 lead and forced a punt, only to have Case Keenum suddenly realize he was a career back-up. If only Nick Foles had done the same.

For me the big "what if" in that season was Dalvin Cook tearing his ACL, or if he just did not fumble on the play it happened against the Lions. The turnover lead to a loss which got the Eagles home field based on a tie-breaker.
I love this take. The way you describe it, that was Case's "Gilligan, you can't fly; it's impossible!" moment.

With the Vikes post-season chances over, the streak for the Wolves/Wild/Vikes/Twins now reaches 109 combined seasons .

Go Gophers!!

I did some calculations, and 109 is the current combined number of NHL, NBA, MLB & NFL seasons played without reaching the Championship Game/Round. However there were only 108 Championship Games/Rounds played due to the 1994 MLB Lockout. There was also no NHL season at all in 2004-05.

Seasons Played and No Appearance in the Title Game/Series in which there was a Champion crowned:

North Stars 1992 & '93 (2)
Wild 2001-04 & 2006-20 (19)
Twins 1992 & '93 & 1995 - 2020 (28)
Wolves 1992-2020 (29)
Vikes 1992-2021 (30)
----
108 total

That brings us to right now.

The Wolves have had their title hopes dashed, so even though the season has not been completed we could add to the number Bleed referenced which would make it now 110.

With Covid etc, probably best to make sure there actually is an NBA Finals to update the Championship Games/Series total (currently 108), which would also take place after the Stanley Cup Final for which the Wild are eligible, having now clinched a spot in the Honda West Playoffs (let's focus on the positive!). The Wild will be 12 W's away from ending the streak. Having made the playoffs 8 out of 9 years, and not reached the Stanley Cup, law of averages indicate they are due, right?!?

I did some calculations, and 109 is the current combined number of NHL, NBA, MLB & NFL seasons played without reaching the Championship Game/Round. However there were only 108 Championship Games/Rounds played due to the 1994 MLB Lockout. There was also no NHL season at all in 2004-05.

Seasons Played and No Appearance in the Title Game/Series in which there was a Champion crowned:

Wolves 1992-2020 (29)
Vikes 1992-2021 (30)
----
108 total

The Wolves have had their title hopes dashed, so even though the season has not been completed we could add to the number Bleed referenced which would make it now 110.

With Covid etc, probably best to make sure there actually is an NBA Finals to update the Championship Games/Series total (currently 108), which would also take place after the Stanley Cup Final for which the Wild are eligible, having now clinched a spot in the Honda West Playoffs (let's focus on the positive!). The Wild will be 12 W's away from ending the streak. Having made the playoffs 8 out of 9 years, and not reached the Stanley Cup, law of averages indicate they are due, right?!?
Law of averages generally works when you're discussing anything in the universe with the exception of MN sports.

Wolves 1992-2020 (29)
Vikes 1992-2021 (30)
----
108 total

Thanks for doing the work. I was never confident I had the numbers right.

Cam Talbot says, "not so fast..."

Last edited:

Turn the page on the Wild. 111 Seasons.

The Stanley Cup, yet another North American Major ProSports Championship Series/Super Bowl is involving a Tampa franchise. 4 in a row for those permanently located in Tampa/St Petersburg, Lightning > Rays > Bucs > Lightning again.

The 2020 Super Bowl was at Miami's Hard Rock Stadium. The Heat made the NBA Finals (played in Orlando), so every title contested this decade has somehow involved Florida. Presumably, that streak of 6 will end with this year's NBA Finals.

I do like the Rays chances to defend their AL Pennant.

Florida, the home of championship Canadian ice hockey. Just as the NHL founders were surely envisioning it.

Florida, the home of championship Canadian ice hockey. Just as the NHL founders were surely envisioning it.
It was a couple of OT goals from being a Las Vegas vs Tampa Bay tilt, with games on July 4th weekend no less.

Even without an NHL franchise and the Packers ending their arrangement to play a handful of games at County Stadium in 1994, "Milwaukee proper" is ending a drought of 89 seasons tonight without a Championship appearance.

Brewers: 1983 - 2020 (38)
Bucks: 1983 - 2020 (38)
Packers: 1982 - 1994 (13)

Updated:

Twin Cities Metro Area Seasons Played and No Appearance in the Title Game/Series in which there was a Championship played:

Wild 2001-04 & 2006-21 (20)
Wolves 1992-2021 (30)
Vikings 1992-2021 (30)
----
110 total; Add Twins from Lockout shortened 1994 to get the 111 overall number.

Last edited:

The Twins have officially bumped the counter to 112.

The Twins have officially bumped the counter to 112.
28 seasons/team average. Wonder how that normalized stat compares to all other NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL markets.

Vikings 2021 Super Bowl !

Vikes are going to have to buck some serious odds even making the playoffs. Through 2019 only 12% of teams starting 0-2 made it to the post-season. Perhaps the chances are a little greater with the expansion of a 3rd Wild Card and a 17game season.

Do we end it before it gets to 120? Hard to believe. 130? Maybe.
Best chance in my opinion in the near future is the Wild. They just need to find a solid center and have a hot goalie to be contenders along with perhaps the Avs & Knights suffer some tough luck in terms of injuires.

Best chance in my opinion in the near future is the Wild. They just need to find a solid center and have a hot goalie to be contenders along with perhaps the Avs & Knights suffer some tough luck in terms of injuires.
There's also the little problem of having their star player unsigned...

Top Bottom