Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

Oct 27, 1991. Today marks the 29th anniversary of the last time a Minnesota MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL franchise was in a Championship Series/Game.

Good times.

The Twin Cities was in such a good mood, hardly anyone minded the 30+ inches of snow that fell 4 days later.

With the Vikes post-season chances over, the streak for the Wolves/Wild/Vikes/Twins now reaches 109 combined seasons .

Go Gophers!!

With the Vikes post-season chances over, the streak for the Wolves/Wild/Vikes/Twins now reaches 109 combined seasons .

Go Gophers!!
This is rare air. Apologies if this has been discussed, but is this the longest such streak for any community in the U.S? The world? The galaxy?

This is rare air. Apologies if this has been discussed, but is this the longest such streak for any community in the U.S? The world? The galaxy?
Pretty sure Buffalo still has us beat although they have 2 two major sports teams to our 4.

I think a better measure would be to average the season drought over all of a market's pro teams, and compare markets that way. Then also gives a reasonable way to compare markets with different number of teams. I'm sure Mpls would still be one of the worst.

All 4 Champions were crowned in an unprecedented 4 month span with Los Angeles & Tampa claiming 2 apiece. The rest of North America, squat.

All 4 Champions were crowned in an unprecedented 4 month span with Los Angeles & Tampa claiming 2 apiece. The rest of North America, squat.
Not to mention Tampa Bay reaching the World Series, meaning all three of their teams advanced to the championship round, something we haven't seen once in these parts in 109 years...or 109 seasons... or whatever. Might as well be 109 years.

Not to mention that 110 is looking like a solid lock.

Not to mention Tampa Bay reaching the World Series, meaning all three of their teams advanced to the championship round, something we haven't seen once in these parts in 109 years...or 109 seasons... or whatever. Might as well be 109 years.

Not to mention that 110 is looking like a solid lock.
Conversation I had with a few friends a week or so ago is which team actually has the best chance to break the curse? The T-wolves are out before the conversation begins so we're down to 3 opportunities. I don't follow hockey enough to have an opinion on the Wild.

The Twins haven't won a playoff game in almost 20 years so expecting multiple series' to be won seems like a tall order. They're in the prime of their opportunity with the team they have now so if they don't make it within the next few years they might get into a rebuild type mode and we'll have to wait 10 years for a decent team.

That leaves the Vikings...in football all you have to do is win 1 game. There isn't a series where the better team tends to come out on top. They seem to probably have the best odds to get hot or lucky for a few games after making the playoffs and being our team.

Thoughts?

Conversation I had with a few friends a week or so ago is which team actually has the best chance to break the curse? The T-wolves are out before the conversation begins so we're down to 3 opportunities. I don't follow hockey enough to have an opinion on the Wild.

The Twins haven't won a playoff game in almost 20 years so expecting multiple series' to be won seems like a tall order. They're in the prime of their opportunity with the team they have now so if they don't make it within the next few years they might get into a rebuild type mode and we'll have to wait 10 years for a decent team.

That leaves the Vikings...in football all you have to do is win 1 game. There isn't a series where the better team tends to come out on top. They seem to probably have the best odds to get hot or lucky for a few games after making the playoffs and being our team.

Thoughts?
Yep. Should've been 2017.

Thoughts?
The days of the Twins needing 10 years to rebuild are over. They may have a year here or there where they go young, but there's no excuse not to be competative most of the time in Target Field.

The days of the Twins needing 10 years to rebuild are over. They may have a year here or there where they go young, but there's no excuse not to be competative most of the time in Target Field.
We will see...they were pretty terrible for a while only a few years back

I think there is hope for something within the next 5 you 10 years but you just never know with prospects

We will see...they were pretty terrible for a while only a few years back

I think there is hope for something within the next 5 you 10 years but you just never know with prospects
Agreed. But they are a middle market payroll now, not bottom 3.

Thoughts?

Seems logical to say Vikings, but 6 straight losses in NFC Championship games has me thinking otherwise.

I think the Twins will break the streak.

A fine point on its own. But since the thread is merely championship appearances, we can expand this to:

Tampa
KC
LA
Miami
Dallas

A fine point on its own. But since the thread is merely championship appearances, we can expand this to:

Tampa
KC
LA
Miami
Dallas

With the Toronto announcing they will play the remainder of the NBA season in Tampa, I think the odds of either a Clippers-Raptors or Lakers-Raptors Finals is quite solid.

I suppose I should check out the NBA standings first.

They're really doing that? Tampa ... in Florida ... is the place they want to be in?

Gotta be just to try to pull off the quad-fecta of appearances??

With the Toronto announcing they will play the remainder of the NBA season in Tampa, I think the odds of either a Clippers-Raptors or Lakers-Raptors Finals is quite solid.

I suppose I should check out the NBA standings first.
The Raptors are a little below .500 in the East, which is basically saying they suck this year.

The Raptors are a little below .500 in the East, which is basically saying they suck this year.

At least they are currently firmly in the play-offs, fighting for "home court" as a 4 seed.

I thought it was time to advance the clicker thinking the Timberwolves had to already be eliminated, but turns out they have life with the "play-in" format.

They are 12 games back in the W column from #10 San Antonio with 14 regular season games to play. Going to take a heckuva regular season run by the home squad (plus dramatic flops by the Spurs, Pelicans & Kings) to get to even get to the playoffs. After that they need to win 4 play-off series (2 more than they have done in the entire run of the franchise) just to get to the NBA Finals.

So you're saying there is a chance...

GO WILD!

I thought it was time to advance the clicker thinking the Timberwolves had to already be eliminated, but turns out they have life with the "play-in" format.

They are 12 games back in the W column from #10 San Antonio with 14 regular season games to play. Going to take a heckuva regular season run by the home squad (plus dramatic flops by the Spurs, Pelicans & Kings) to get to even get to the playoffs. After that they need to win 4 play-off series (2 more than they have done in the entire run of the franchise) just to get to the NBA Finals.

So you're saying there is a chance...
The fact that one of the worst Wolves teams in history (and that's saying a lot) is still alive with 14 games to play is a joke.

We really haven't had a close brush with breaking this streak in 11 years. The Vikes were in the conference title game three years ago, but they were on the road, and the game wasn't close, so it doesn't feel like the 2009 or 1998 situations. Eleven years without even a close call...can you imagine how nuts this town would go if any of these teams advanced to the championship round?

We really haven't had a close brush with breaking this streak in 11 years. The Vikes were in the conference title game three years ago, but they were on the road, and the game wasn't close, so it doesn't feel like the 2009 or 1998 situations. Eleven years without even a close call...can you imagine how nuts this town would go if any of these teams advanced to the championship round?
The Wild are our best shot. I'm not sure the Twins even make the play-offs.

I know it's the state of hockey, and all, but I have to imagine that the NHL gets the smallest audiences in the US among the major four sports. To me, I guess that football, basketball, and to a declining extent baseball, are what the largest swaths of people in this country care about.

Would really love for it to be the Vikings.

Twins have won the World Series twice. Not turning it down by any means.

Twolves, honestly don't care if they leave.

I know it's the state of hockey, and all, but I have to imagine that the NHL gets the smallest audiences in the US among the major four sports. To me, I guess that football, basketball, and to a declining extent baseball, are what the largest swaths of people in this country care about.

Would really love for it to be the Vikings.

Twins have won the World Series twice. Not turning it down by any means.

Twolves, honestly don't care if they leave.
Honest to god, my very first thought when they announced the imminent sale was how much longer it's going to take to get this streak to 200 without the Wolves.

The fact that one of the worst Wolves teams in history (and that's saying a lot) is still alive with 14 games to play is a joke.

At least in 2021 they will be playing basketball in May for one of the few times in franchise history.

To be completely argumentative, I would still say it was a close call being just 1 game away, playing a team with their back-up QB. They even jumped to an early 7-0 lead and forced a punt, only to have Case Keenum suddenly realize he was a career back-up. If only Nick Foles had done the same.

For me the big "what if" in that season was Dalvin Cook tearing his ACL, or if he just did not fumble on the play it happened against the Lions. The turnover lead to a loss which got the Eagles home field based on a tie-breaker.

Top Bottom