Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

Detroit worse off than Minnesota for their sports fans' misery? Absolutely ridiculous.
Plus, UMich and MSU are busy piling up big-sport title game appearances. Our local university...not so much.

Agreed. Moreover adding the CFL was ridiculous. I am a Blue Bomber fan but 10 minutes after a game the result, win or lose, is forgotten.

Washington D.C.

Go Gophers!!

Isn't it Atlanta? DC United won MLS Cup within the last 15 years I think.

We could talk about some of the markets like Nashville, Cincinatti, Charlotte, San Diego, Buffalo or Milwaukee (who all have longer droughts than us), but they don't have enough teams to make it heartbreaking enough IMO.

Isn't it Atlanta? DC United won MLS Cup within the last 15 years I think.

We could talk about some of the markets like Nashville, Cincinatti, Charlotte, San Diego, Buffalo or Milwaukee (who all have longer droughts than us), but they don't have enough teams to make it heartbreaking enough IMO.

This list most commonly covers 4 traditional pro sports, not including MLS.

Definitely not Atlanta. Since the last time we were ina title game (1991), the Braves were in multiple World Series and won one, and the Falcons wee in two Super Bowls, including their win over us in NFC Championship.

Go Gophers!!

This list most commonly covers 4 traditional pro sports, not including MLS.

Definitely not Atlanta. Since the last time we were ina title game (1991), the Braves were in multiple World Series and won one, and the Falcons wee in two Super Bowls, including their win over us in NFC Championship.

Go Gophers!!

But their title drought is 3rd (2nd if we include MLS) to ours. Getting 2nd place a couple times doesn’t end a streak. If the Vikings had lost 3 Super Bowls in the last 6 years we would still have the same miserable opinion of ourselves. A handful of smaller markets are worse than even us. We are the worst major market by a small margin.

We’ve done it! Now 100 combined seasons without a championship appearance.

Meanwhile, Boston fans have enjoyed 16 combined championship appearances since 1991 including at least 2 appearances from each of the 4 teams.

And Washington won the Cup, so we don't even have a twin market of ineptitude.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Of course there's no such thing as an unbreakable record, but this is so statistically unlikely - near impossible, actually - that I can't see any other town ever getting close.

I know this thread is meant to focus on the Pro teams but let's not forget our gopher sports...football and basketball (excluding 1996 of course) haven't won the Big Ten in forever either. Easily the most starved fan base out there.

I know this thread is meant to focus on the Pro teams but let's not forget our gopher sports...football and basketball (excluding 1996 of course) haven't won the Big Ten in forever either. Easily the most starved fan base out there.

Yes, let's add to the pity party.

Of course there's no such thing as an unbreakable record, but this is so statistically unlikely - near impossible, actually - that I can't see any other town ever getting close.

We're the best of the worst. If the Vikings don't do it in the next 2 seasons, it's going to be several more years. Sigh.

It will happen someday! Someday.... please happen someday...

OK, I started to think about this in the shower after I wrote it. Statistically, there would be some mean period at which this would be expected to occur again, although the variance of that occurrence would be high. It would take someone with way better statistical analysis chops than I to figure out what that period would be, but considering it's a chain of events and therefore a long-term accomplishment (i.e. it's taken us more than a quarter century for us to accomplish it), it would have to be a return period of hundreds if not thousands if not tens of thousands of years, assuming a similar number of cities, teams, etc.

OK, I started to think about this in the shower after I wrote it. Statistically, there would be some mean period at which this would be expected to occur again, although the variance of that occurrence would be high. It would take someone with way better statistical analysis chops than I to figure out what that period would be, but considering it's a chain of events and therefore a long-term accomplishment (i.e. it's taken us more than a quarter century for us to accomplish it), it would have to be a return period of hundreds if not thousands if not tens of thousands of years, assuming a similar number of cities, teams, etc.

The extra gut punch to this is is not only have we not won a title, we haven't even played for a title in a combined 100 seasons.

Go Gophers!!

Meanwhile, Boston sports fans have enjoyed 11 championships since 2001.

Meanwhile, Boston sports fans have enjoyed 11 championships since 2001.

I have a buddy who's a lifelong Boston sports fan (born/raised there, went to BC, etc., so it's legit) and he just texted me "the 1 year drought of no championships is over, we suffered long enough!"

I haven't responded to the text yet.

Go Gophers!!

The extra gut punch to this is is not only have we not won a title, we haven't even played for a title in a combined 100 seasons.

Go Gophers!!

What, the Lynx' run didn't satisfy your MN sports-based depression?

I posted this last year but I honestly don't know if I would get super bored with sports or how I'd even take it if my teams won like that...I'm so used to cheering for these dud teams I'm not sure how exciting championship wins would even be if MN teams started winning a bunch...good thing I'll likely never have that problem.

I have a buddy who's a lifelong Boston sports fan (born/raised there, went to BC, etc., so it's legit) and he just texted me "the 1 year drought of no championships is over, we suffered long enough!"

I haven't responded to the text yet.

Go Gophers!!

That feels like it requires an in-person response.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With the Vikings season ending today, Minnesota is now at 101 combined seasons with the Vikes, Wild, Twins and Wolves without a championship appearance.

Go Gophers!!

My non- Minnesota friends just can’t understand why I’m such a jaded sports fan. I don’t understand how they cannot understand.

Now that we're on our way to 200...

Somewhere above, I spitballed the randomized chances of this occurring at somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 in 600. People, if this goes to a streak of 200 (about another quarter century), the numbers get pretty ****ed up. We're talking about 1 in 400,000. That's loserville, alright.

Now that we're on our way to 200...

Somewhere above, I spitballed the randomized chances of this occurring at somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 in 600. People, if this goes to a streak of 200 (about another quarter century), the numbers get pretty ****ed up. We're talking about 1 in 400,000. That's loserville, alright.

It's hard to see it ending in the next couple of years. I'd say the most likely at this point is probably the Twins, but that would be 2020 at the absolute earliest.

My non- Minnesota friends just can’t understand why I’m such a jaded sports fan. I don’t understand how they cannot understand.

You can't understand it until you've lived it. Lions and Browns fans sort of understand, but then you have to multiply it by 4. And then add in the Gophers. Sigh.

You can't understand it until you've lived it. Lions and Browns fans sort of understand, but then you have to multiply it by 4. And then add in the Gophers. Sigh.

Lions and Browns fans tend to be Mich, MSU, or OSU fans, though. It's not the same. Not at all.

I'm not a Wild fan but at this point, they have to be the best odds of breaking this streak because of the nature of the sport.

Vikings should be with all of that talent.

Top Bottom