Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
With the NFL season officially over, it’s now been a combined 97 seasons since any of them went to a championship game/series. The teams are 0-7 since then in chances to go to their championship.

With the NFL season officially over, it’s now been a combined 97 seasons since any of them went to a championship game/series. The teams are 0-7 since then in chances to go to their championship.

This is exactly what I didn't need to read on a cold, gloomy Monday morning.

We might as well embrace the ineptness.

If one of the four were to win a championship in the near future, which team would you want it to be? I think for me it would be the Twins.

I knew someone would post this. It was tasteful to wait a until couple weeks after the clincher.

Just a reminder: in the other thread, I'd posted what the odds of this would be if the outcomes of games/seasons were completely randomized. Although I haven't figured an exact number, the odds are roughly 1 in 600 or so. Only one conclusion is possible: we're a bunch of losers.

And this is to just WENT to the championship? There would still be a game to play for any of them haha. Being a fan is exhausting.

I knew someone would post this. It was tasteful to wait a until couple weeks after the clincher.

Just a reminder: in the other thread, I'd posted what the odds of this would be if the outcomes of games/seasons were completely randomized. Although I haven't figured an exact number, the odds are roughly 1 in 600 or so. Only one conclusion is possible: we're a bunch of losers.

Yeah if everything was equal, one of the teams should go to a championship every 4 years and win it once every 8.

We might as well embrace the ineptness.

If one of the four were to win a championship in the near future, which team would you want it to be? I think for me it would be the Twins.

Thinking on it right now, February 5, I'd say the Timberwolves because the NBA Finals are in June and that would mean I'd only have to wait 4 months for this drought to be over. (Plus I don't particularly care about the Wild.)

But if I'm being honest, it's always the Vikings for me.

Who do we think is the closest? I mean Vikings but can they have that decent of a year again with the QB situation, a horrible schedule next year, and a defense that is only getting older? I say their window closes in 5 years.

The Twins? Can they really compete with the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. to get to a world series? Even with the young core of talent and work they've put in so far in the offseason I just don't know.

The Wild? They've already had their shots. Their team is getting older and stale. They need to mix things up in the next few years.

The T-wolves? Maybe the best chance of the 4 however they have a few juggernauts in the west to compete with. They cannot beat Golden State or Houston.

Who do we think is the closest? I mean Vikings but can they have that decent of a year again with the QB situation, a horrible schedule next year, and a defense that is only getting older? I say their window closes in 5 years.

The Twins? Can they really compete with the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. to get to a world series? Even with the young core of talent and work they've put in so far in the offseason I just don't know.

The Wild? They've already had their shots. Their team is getting older and stale. They need to mix things up in the next few years.

The T-wolves? Maybe the best chance of the 4 however they have a few juggernauts in the west to compete with. They cannot beat Golden State or Houston.

The Wild and Wolves both feel like a lost cause.

If the Royals can do it, the Twins can do it. I like the new management team.

The Vikings might take a half step back next year with the first-place schedule, but they'll be holding the Lombardi trophy two years from now. Remember I said that.

Inching closer to the century mark. Now up to 98 combined seasons.

The Vikings are the only team close at the moment. Don't hold your breath.

Yabut those poor Chicago fans. I mean Boston fans. I mean San Diego fans. I mean Cleveland fans. They all are so much worse off. I feel sorry for them.

It would be great if the Twins could keep this baby from going triple figures. Although unlikely, it's at least within the realm of possibility, unlike with the Wild and Wolves.

If you consider all the metro areas that have at least 3 of the 4 major sports, the Twin Cities has the longest championship drought (Cleveland had the record until the Cavaliers won). Trivia question: who has the second longest draught?

If you consider all the metro areas that have at least 3 of the 4 major sports, the Twin Cities has the longest championship drought (Cleveland had the record until the Cavaliers won). Trivia question: who has the second longest draught?

Washington D.C.

Go Gophers!!

Didn't the Redskins win the Super Bowl in January 1992?

Correct. I listen to Tony Kornheiser's podcast, and he and their cast all live in DC and follow all their sports. For many years I've indulged in some schadenfruede listening to their shows after their teams fail in the playoffs. They complain to each other on the show how awful their city is for sports, just like we all do. The Capitals have had some bad chokes in the playoffs recently, and the day after shows were epic.

Correct. I listen to Tony Kornheiser's podcast, and he and their cast all live in DC and follow all their sports. For many years I've indulged in some schadenfruede listening to their shows after their teams fail in the playoffs. They complain to each other on the show how awful their city is for sports, just like we all do. The Capitals have had some bad chokes in the playoffs recently, and the day after shows were epic.

Misery loves company.

Go Gophers!!

Yep. That is their last title I think, just a few months after us.

Go Gophers!!

I remember watching that game and thinking what a juggernaut they are. And that was the last one for them, maybe still for a long time with that ownership.

The folks here in Pittsburgh love that they own the Capitals in the playoffs.

Historically speaking, the sports fans in Washington - unless they are young - have very little to complain about relative to Minnesota sports fans, where young or old, we are all miserable :)

The only hope for the Twins to get back to the WS is for the Yankees to miss the playoffs.

With the Wolves season now over, we are at 99 combined seasons.

Go Gophers!!

The folks here in Pittsburgh love that they own the Capitals in the playoffs.

Historically speaking, the sports fans in Washington - unless they are young - have very little to complain about relative to Minnesota sports fans, where young or old, we are all miserable :)

The Washington-Minnesota link, of course, is the Senators-Twins common franchise. The Broadway musical Damn Yankees is about the frustration of a Senators fan whose team can't overcome the Yanks, so he enlists the Devil to intercede. History repeats.

The Washington-Minnesota link, of course, is the Senators-Twins common franchise. The Broadway musical Damn Yankees is about the frustration of a Senators fan whose team can't overcome the Yanks, so he enlists the Devil to intercede. History repeats.
My understanding - without looking - is that the Twins and Yankees had a pretty hot rivalry in the 60s.

If it's possible for the broad statistic - 99 straight competition seasons - to not even do justice to the futility, this stat helps flesh it out.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom