Tubby's Tenure

Do you really thinking have Trevor would make me ignore that the coaching staff couldn't figure out how to beat the 1-3-1 zone when it really isn't that difficult? If anything a player like Trevor masks the futility of a coaching staff.
Seriously, the only reason we lost that game is because we couldn't beat the 1-3-1 so constantly turned the ball over.

The 1-3-1 is hard to play against because you basically need two players with a PG mentality, controlling the ball, passing, etc., the Gophers just didn't have it last night.

My concern is that you can pretty much kiss the 2014 class from Minnesota goodby. Jones and Vaughn are not going to sign with a 6-12 program when Kansas and Duke come calling. Unless they have a big time turnaround next year it isn't going to be getting that much better.

While I agree this team is young it still doesn't excuse the poor gameplan against that 1-3-1. There have been very few times this year where I felt confident in the gameplan from our coaching staff.

If you'll recall even when we had Nolen we couldn't figure out the 1-3-1.

4 of the teams top 8 players are freshman, should have 7 of them back + Mo next year (maybe a miracle from heaven and trevor is back). Andre and Coleman should become very good big ten players.
You give Tubby next year and if there is no improvement from this year then he's gone. Also who's to say he doesn't just retire? At his age all the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# this program has gone through these past years maybe he's ready to call it quits or maybe just take a job somewhere else.

All i can envision is Tubby being fired/quitting/retiring and 3 years from now having the same feeling I did missing Mason when Brewster ran the program into the ground

4 of the teams top 8 players are freshman, should have 7 of them back + Mo next year (maybe a miracle from heaven and trevor is back). Andre and Coleman should become very good big ten players.
You give Tubby next year and if there is no improvement from this year then he's gone. Also who's to say he doesn't just retire? At his age all the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# this program has gone through these past years maybe he's ready to call it quits or maybe just take a job somewhere else.

All i can envision is Tubby being fired/quitting/retiring and 3 years from now having the same feeling I did missing Mason when Brewster ran the program into the ground

+1

I agree. I like the freshman group and I look for a good year next year. Much depends on mo's return and what he contributes.

Missing Mason? He was 3-5 in conference for 10 years. This is the problem I have with some Gopher fans. They would rather be mediocre than risk getting worse by trying someone new. I would rather change and have hope than know what I have and be mediocre.

Missing Mason? He was 3-5 in conference for 10 years. This is the problem I have with some Gopher fans. They would rather be mediocre than risk getting worse by trying someone new. I would rather change and have hope than know what I have and be mediocre.

And your solution is Tubby has 2 bad years with both of those years having an impact player go down with injury and we should fire him? He deserves another year to right the ship, if another player or 2 transfers this offseason and then they miss the tournament again, go ahead fire him. but fire him this year? no way.

P.S. the season isn't over, stranger things have happened

And your solution is Tubby has 2 bad years with both of those years having an impact player go down with injury and we should fire him? He deserves another year to right the ship, if another player or 2 transfers this offseason and then they miss the tournament again, go ahead fire him. but fire him this year? no way.

P.S. the season isn't over, stranger things have happened

The timing is bad to fire him with a new AD coming in. But no way I extend him. Not even with a low buyout. That would be rewarding failure. I don't care if it hurts recruiting or not. If Tubby doesn't like it, which he won't...too bad.

Yes Trevor went down. But we had Trevor last year and won 6 Big Ten games and that was with Hoff. So with Trevor this year, maybe we win 9 games? Maybe? This is what we signed up for after 5 years with Tubby Smith?

Welch is a second tier B1G point guard. He's a stop-gap, filling the Cobbs void. I'm glad to have him, but he is what he is. Hollins is going to be very good, but right now he's up & down. How many times does he pull up his dribble, jump up in the air, turn & fire a weak pass cross-court to the breaking defender for a steal? That's not poor PG skills imo, that's poor basketball skills. Like a kid who's never had to pass out of anything in his life I guess? Growing pains I hope.

I know you like Dre a lot. I like him as well, but I don't want to see his skills wasted on trying to learn a position he doesn't seem to have a natural feel for. Maybe he gets it by the time he is a senior? That would be a total waste imo. We need a guard that runs the team first. I don't mind guys like Burelson, for example, that aren't PG's to begin with but get there by the time they are done. Burelson wasn't going to be a great scorer no matter where he was put, but Dre can be that great scorer-just not at the PG spot.

What foolishness on yourpart. Mason was also 5-3 and was very near to taking the Gophers to better things. You people deserve EXACTLY what you have wanted for our Gopher Football Program...you ditched Mason and brought us brewster. Now, we are holding our breath just hoping that Coach Kill can get us back to being as competetive as Mason had us in football.

Just try to FIRE your way to prosperity...Tubby really hasn't been much better than Monson and Monson had ALL the aftermath of the haskin's scandal to try to get through. You deserve exactly what you have gotten mingg...and that ain't much...

; 0 )

Did Tubby recruit guys he knew were going to be good 3 point shooters?
Did Tubby's gameplan play into the turnovers?
Would Trevor have made a few of those 3s?
I'm not denying Trevor would have helped, I am denying that winning with Trevor would change the fact that the gameplan was *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Idk how having a different PF would change that.

There were plenty of times last year that opposing teams would double team Trevor, so yes indirectly he helps perimeter 3-point shooting.

What foolishness on yourpart. Mason was also 5-3 and was very near to taking the Gophers to better things. You people deserve EXACTLY what you have wanted for our Gopher Football Program...you ditched Mason and brought us brewster. Now, we are holding our breath just hoping that Coach Kill can get us back to being as competetive as Mason had us in football.

Just try to FIRE your way to prosperity...Tubby really hasn't been much better than Monson and Monson had ALL the aftermath of the haskin's scandal to try to get through. You deserve exactly what you have gotten mingg...and that ain't much...

; 0 )

Mase was 32-48 in the Big Ten. 10 years of mediocrity. I don't miss him one bit. Give me Jerry Kill any day. Tubby had warts when he came. There is a reason he got run out of KY. I will never settle for mediocrity. Tubby has failed...next man up. I don't give in to losing as easily as you I guess.

Broken record time for me: We are a dumb team period. The main reason is that we don't have a point guard. Welch hits a three now and then, but he simply can't pass well enough to be even an average PG. He makes way too many dumb decisions to be in charge (plus, tonight he gave up on a few plays resulting in easy points-not a good quality for your floor leader). Dre is worse. He is clueless as a PG-no feel for the position at all. Big risk hoping Dre is going to be the guy there. Mav...well, lets just stop there.

Until this problem is fixed we will see lots of turnovers.

Hate to say it, but this team is a mess.

Only four of the turnovers were made by the PG last night. I'm not saying that position isn't a concern, but that is hardly the only reason we're turning the ball over a bunch.

i just dont want my team to be unwatchable...
yesterday, it was unwatchable.

reminded me of the football team's offense two years ago.
1.) 1st down: off-tackle run for no gain.
2.) 2nd down: Weber sacked.
3.) 3rd down: Weber throws a one-hop pass out to the flat.
4.) 4th down: punt travels 15 yards.
5.) repeat all game long.

Tubby had players leave with regularity at UK and at UGA. He promises a style of play to recruits that he will not play. Tubby is a 45 point a game grinder. he wants to recrit like he's gonna play Duke's or UNC's style and go after the same players that those guys want. Once they realize that they are going to play slow ball, they want out.

Just ask Tubby how other schools recruit guys that stay if they are not good enough for the NBA. He will go off on some wild tangent about knot knowing what others do. He thinks he is too good to be questioned.

Tubby had players leave with regularity at UK and at UGA. He promises a style of play to recruits that he will not play. Tubby is a 45 point a game grinder. he wants to recrit like he's gonna play Duke's or UNC's style and go after the same players that those guys want. Once they realize that they are going to play slow ball, they want out.

Just ask Tubby how other schools recruit guys that stay if they are not good enough for the NBA. He will go off on some wild tangent about knot knowing what others do. He thinks he is too good to be questioned.

Come again?

I really agree with this. I love Tubby, but I have to admit this is not where I thought we would be in year five. I believe he is still a great coach though. With just a little better luck, we would be in the middle of a string of four straight NCAA tourney appearances under Tubby.

If we fire him, we start all over again from ground zero, and that is always a crap shoot. We could get better, or we could get much worse. It is best for all of us if Tubby can turn this around himself. If he can't, then he will either retire or we will be forced to make a change.

Plus like another poster said, this season isn't over yet anyway. We made a miracle run a couple years ago to make the Big Dance. It's not looking real good, but I'm not ready to give up on this season yet.

I really agree with this. I love Tubby, but I have to admit this is not where I thought we would be in year five. I believe he is still a great coach though. With just a little better luck, we would be in the middle of a string of four straight NCAA tourney appearances under Tubby.

If we fire him, we start all over again from ground zero, and that is always a crap shoot. We could get better, or we could get much worse. It is best for all of us if Tubby can turn this around himself. If he can't, then he will either retire or we will be forced to make a change.

Plus like another poster said, this season isn't over yet anyway. We made a miracle run a couple years ago to make the Big Dance. It's not looking real good, but I'm not ready to give up on this season yet.

+1

Yes Trevor went down. But we had Trevor last year and won 6 Big Ten games and that was with Hoff. So with Trevor this year, maybe we win 9 games? Maybe? This is what we signed up for after 5 years with Tubby Smith?

Well, "Mr I Have Lofty Standards", you are conveniently forgetting Nolen was injured but then that wouldn't fit your agenda. You (and us) would benefit from a hiatus. FOT was tiresome and so are you.

Well, "Mr I Have Lofty Standards", you are conveniently forgetting Nolen was injured but then that wouldn't fit your agenda. You (and us) would benefit from a hiatus. FOT was tiresome and so are you.

It appears you are conveniently fogetting that Nolen isn't playing this year too. You are making an assumption that those playing the PG this year are as good or better than Nolen. At this point that assumption would be false.

BJD50 said:

It's so odd that some players transfer away and then you have guys like TayShaun Prince who love Tubby. Trevor seems to be another guy who really likes him. I don't know if some players just can't handle the criticism or what the issue is?? You'd expect in today's world if there was a real issue with the guy it would've come out by now. Someone would have said something.

I have no idea and that bothers me and a lot of people I am sure. It's frustrating to not know the whole story, but then is it really the fans business to know either? (please don't actually debate this)

I know you like Dre a lot. I like him as well, but I don't want to see his skills wasted on trying to learn a position he doesn't seem to have a natural feel for. Maybe he gets it by the time he is a senior? That would be a total waste imo. We need a guard that runs the team first. I don't mind guys like Burelson, for example, that aren't PG's to begin with but get there by the time they are done. Burelson wasn't going to be a great scorer no matter where he was put, but Dre can be that great scorer-just not at the PG spot.

If Dre wants to play in the NBA, and I'm sure he does. It's going to be at the PG spot. He's too small to be a 2. You can have a scoring PG and be successful they just have to learn how to manage it. Dre is a smart kid so I think he'll get it by next season. Think Chauncy Billups

notagopherfan said:
If Dre wants to play in the NBA, and I'm sure he does. It's going to be at the PG spot. He's too small to be a 2. You can have a scoring PG and be successful they just have to learn how to manage it. Dre is a smart kid so I think he'll get it by next season. Think Chauncy Billups

I'd think Russell Westbrook before Chauncy Billups. Hollins game reminds me
More of him than Billups. He's got a bounce like Westbrook does.

However, Eric Gordon and Ben Gordon are a few guys who've been able to play the 2 as a smaller guy in the NBA. I am sure there are others as well. Although, I agree that overall he can be a scoring PG in college though.

Only four of the turnovers were made by the PG last night. I'm not saying that position isn't a concern, but that is hardly the only reason we're turning the ball over a bunch.

I'm not only talking about turnovers. For me it is the ability to breakdown a defense simply by being able to get by a defender. Penetrating and making things happen. Finding the open man with a nifty pass. We don't have anyone who can do that right now. Mav = not good enough (sorry Mav). Welch can do it while on the break, but he can't seem to do so any other time (lack of quickness?). Dre has the quickness, but he doesn't know how it would seem. Hopefully next season is the time Dre gets it- otherwise more of the same I'm afraid.

I'd say the gophers got fouled a lot of times going to basket against NW but didn't get the calls. I think that had an impact on the game as well. Gophers need to cut down turnovers regardless and keep attacking the basket with guys like Dre, Rodney, Coleman and Austin. They are a decent shooting team but are much better off attacking the rim and getting to the free throw line even though Rodney sucks there, he's the best finisher on the team. I really do like this team though, I think it has a lot of potential.

I'm not only talking about turnovers. For me it is the ability to breakdown a defense simply by being able to get by a defender. Penetrating and making things happen. Finding the open man with a nifty pass. We don't have anyone who can do that right now. Mav = not good enough (sorry Mav). Welch can do it while on the break, but he can't seem to do so any other time (lack of quickness?). Dre has the quickness, but he doesn't know how it would seem. Hopefully next season is the time Dre gets it- otherwise more of the same I'm afraid.

Dre knows how. They all know how. Making a mistake off the dribble will put you on the pine pretty fast under Tubby. I think they just don't have a feel for what he will accept and what he won't. That creates hesitation and slows the offense. Tubby, at least it appears to me, would much prefer that they pass it around the perimeter and work towards dumping it down low. Only problem with that is that he doesn't have any pure posts that can finish.

Only problem with that is that he doesn't have any pure posts that can finish.

If only Tubby hadn't taken a crowbar to Mbakwe and Walker's knees. Man, what was he thinking?

It's so odd that some players transfer away and then you have guys like TayShaun Prince who love Tubby. Trevor seems to be another guy who really likes him. I don't know if some players just can't handle the criticism or what the issue is?? You'd expect in today's world if there was a real issue with the guy it would've come out by now. Someone would have said something.

I have no idea and that bothers me and a lot of people I am sure. It's frustrating to not know the whole story, but then is it really the fans business to know either? (please don't actually debate this)

Tubby is a guy who loves the guys that get deflections, have the wing span on defense like Prince. And a big guy that is strong and athletic like Trevor is a match made in heaven for Tubby. He gears the game to those guys. Guards? Not as easy.

Top Bottom