Tubby's recruiting

I didnt say freshmen could not start.

Tayshaun Prince = 5 Star = mid-year starter as frosh at UK.

Keith Bogans = 5 Star = first month starter as frosh at UK.

Jason Parker = 5 Star = Day 1 starter as frosh at UK.

Randolph Morris = 5 Star = Day 1 starter as frosh at UK.

Rajon Rondo = 5 Star = Day 1 starter as frosh at UK.

To name a few of Tubby's freshman starters at UK.

I didnt say freshmen could not start. Heck, Rodney has already broken into the starting lineup. I said they may not get the minutes they would want because of our current squad. Even our starters didnt get 30 minutes a game last year.

Who knows what goes through the minds of 18 year olds? In any case, this could be one of many reasons the 2010 class looks a little light so far.

A lot of it has to do with where these recruits are located. Ohio State has a great recruiting class because they have great in-state recruits (large reason at least). Same with Illinois. I think that if MN had a couple top 100 recruits again like last year, they would be signing here. It's tough to get kids from different states to come to a school far away when they grow up dreaming of playing for their hometown team.

A lot of it has to do with where these recruits are located. Ohio State has a great recruiting class because they have great in-state recruits (large reason at least). Same with Illinois. I think that if MN had a couple top 100 recruits again like last year, they would be signing here. It's tough to get kids from different states to come to a school far away when they grow up dreaming of playing for their hometown team.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. I'm not sure this applies to Cory Joseph since he's from Canada and only started playing in Las Vegas last year. I see where you're coming from however.

Tubby could care less where his class ranks in the b10 or how many stars they get.

They wanted to find another big man and we're looking for a guy who could redshirt and learn by practicing against Sampson and Iverson and they targeted Kirk and Ellison and Elliott was a perfect fit for what they we're looking for and they got him against some good competition. I hate the term project because it usually carries a negative stigma to it and most people think of an Alou Kane type recruit or basically a lack of skill, just size. I don't think Ellison falls into that category at all, he is just like most big men who need to get stronger and play against bigger and better competition every day. I could care less where in the top 100 he is ranked, he was a perfect recruit for MN this year and just what they wanted.

The more I hear on Hollins, the more I really get excited to see this kid. Have heard him described as DJ with a jump shot. The one area of his game everyone raves about is his defense, not the smae shot blocker as DJ but has the long arms and is a shut down defender. He also is a lights out shooter who needs to improve his ball skills, much like Rodney. he is in the exact same mold as a DJ or Rodney and the kind of kid Tubby and co. are looking for. His Memphis offer was legit.

As for Cory, nothing has changed and MN is still a strong contender.

As the Trevor and Royce situations play out, we will find out if we need to go after some PF's in the spring.

Top Bottom