Tubby's recruiting

Weisbrod

Banned
Reaction score
Can some one with a little more knowledge of the subject elaborate on why Tubby currently has one of the lowest (if not the LOWEST) rated recruiting classes in the Big 10. From what I understand, Elliason is a project that will be red-shirted and Hollins is a pretty good shooter that might play right away. Neither one of these guys is in the top 100 nationally. Most of the Big Ten schools have higher-rated recruits right now, event iowa!!!!!!!

if we get joseph i think that puts us right in the mix. we wont have a stellar class every year until we are consistently in the tourney/far in the tourney

among other issues...

among other issues could it be that recruits see a loaded young team that may be hard to get immediate pt on?

Can some one with a little more knowledge of the subject elaborate on why Tubby currently has one of the lowest (if not the LOWEST) rated recruiting classes in the Big 10. From what I understand, Elliason is a project that will be red-shirted and Hollins is a pretty good shooter that might play right away. Neither one of these guys is in the top 100 nationally. Most of the Big Ten schools have higher-rated recruits right now, event iowa!!!!!!!

i agree, <b>FIRE TUBBY!!!</B>

i agree, <b>FIRE TUBBY!!!</B>

If you thought i was advocating to fire tubby, i apologize. i was just asking a question and hoping that people could help me out. his 2010 class isn't star-studded like b4, let's face it. there could be a reasonable explanation for this.

i think he's using that thing called 'sarcasm'

and if hes actually serious, well then he has a whole bunch of issues that only a psychiatrist can help

i think he's using that thing called 'sarcasm'

and if hes actually serious, well then he has a whole bunch of issues that only a psychiatrist can help

Not even a psychiatrist can help if he is serious....Only the collective expertise of 2,331 GopherHole Members could help him. We know all, see all, have solutions all. Yep, for sure.

To answer the question at the top of the page: Yes, the Gophers have a very low rated recruiting class. However, the verdict is still out on Cory Joseph. If he signs, Minnesota has a top 5 class in the Big Ten. If not, and it's looking like he won't, then the Gophers will rely on a strong junior class next season and go after star players for 2011.

among other issues could it be that recruits see a loaded young team that may be hard to get immediate pt on?

This.

Also, a trip to the sweet 16 this year to prove that we're legit would do wonders for recruiting.

If Joseph signs this year, our 2010 recruiting class will be just about as good as we could hope for... the 2011 class should be much better.

how can you say that, you clearly know nothing about basektball, his first class was rated very highly and his second was close to top ten.

At some point you have to figure out who you're go to guys are and surround them with role players not everyone can think they should be THE MAN. We add a very underrated shooter in Hollins to the mix and dont dicount Elliason he will be a very serviceable player to throw in there to protect the goal and maybe allow Ralph to play a more suitable PF postition with Iverson and Elliason at the 5 (assuming no mbwake and white) I think we still need a pure slasher/scorer but Tubby is filling roles with next yrs recuits and I for one like it!

Eliason will likely redshirt next year, while Iverson/Sampson are Juniors... hopefully one or both of White/Mbakwe is back next year too.

In 2011, Eliason will be a redshirted freshman and play minimal minutes behind that group (not minimal if White/Mbakwe is gone for good)

By 2012-13, Eliason will be in his 3rd year under Tubby, and as a legit 7 footer, should be able to step in and help the team.

"among other issues could it be that recruits see a loaded young team that may be hard to get immediate pt on?"

Are you serious? A "loaded" young team? Nolen? Iverson? Carter? Cobbs? Do the four- and five-star recruits Ohio State, Michigan State, and Illinois--not to mention the likes of North Carolina, Duke, et.al.--sign each year discourage the next crop of top recruits from signing?

Tubby is a great coach and an average recruiter who will always bring the Gophers to 20-plus wins and a one- (or two-) and-done appearance in the Dance. It's who we are and who we will be.

To answer the question at the top of the page: Yes, the Gophers have a very low rated recruiting class. However, the verdict is still out on Cory Joseph. If he signs, Minnesota has a top 5 class in the Big Ten. If not, and it's looking like he won't, then the Gophers will rely on a strong junior class next season and go after star players for 2011.

How do you come to the conclusion that it's looking like he won't sign with us?

Are you serious? A "loaded" young team? Nolen? Iverson? Carter? Cobbs? Do the four- and five-star recruits Ohio State, Michigan State, and Illinois--not to mention the likes of North Carolina, Duke, et.al.--sign each year discourage the next crop of top recruits from signing?

Those guys you listed, no. But you better believe that they see themselves behind Sampson, Joseph, Rodney, Royce (this one may no longer be the case)

Thad Matta is one of the best recruiters in the country, you can't expect someone else to recruit on par with him - and look at the lack of bigs he has this year despite that. Michigan State's recruiting isn't that different from ours, the local area there just produces more high level recruits. Weber almost got run out of town at Illinois for several terrible recruiting classes in a row until he did well this year and for 2010.

And don't even bring North Carolina and Duke into the discussion. Programs like that are built over a long period of time, not by hiring one great coach who does everything the right way.

I'm not making excuses here, but be realistic - unless you're hiring Roy Williams, Bill Self or maybe Rick Barnes or Thad Matta, recruiting just doesn't work that way. Get the practice facility built and give Tubby some time to make some noise in the tournament, then see how the recruiting looks.

And for the record, I think Tubby's a better coach than either Matta or Barnes, they're just better recruiters.

How do you come to the conclusion that it's looking like he won't sign with us?

If he wanted to be a Gopher, he would have signed. I mean look at it, his brother is on the team for godness sakes. Why didn't he sign already?
From what it looks like, he's waiting to see how things pan out at the high profile schools.

At some point you have to figure out who you're go to guys are and surround them with role players not everyone can think they should be THE MAN. We add a very underrated shooter in Hollins to the mix and dont dicount Elliason he will be a very serviceable player to throw in there to protect the goal and maybe allow Ralph to play a more suitable PF postition with Iverson and Elliason at the 5 (assuming no mbwake and white) I think we still need a pure slasher/scorer but Tubby is filling roles with next yrs recuits and I for one like it!

Don Lucia's absolute downfall

If he wanted to be a Gopher, he would have signed. I mean look at it, his brother is on the team for godness sakes. Why didn't he sign already?
From what it looks like, he's waiting to see how things pan out at the high profile schools.
You probably expected him to commit "in utero." ... ;)

The rating of the class is by total stars and when you only have two recruits you're going to be behind teams who have 4 or 5 new recruits.

it's obvious he's too old and doens't have the energy to get out there and relate to these young kids. he needs to go.
Before everyone gets their underwear in a knot, recall that this was one of the reasons given by Kentucky fans as to why Tubby should go in his last year there. And several came on here to "warn" us of this "fact" when Tubby signed on.

Bassy -- for some folks, you have to draw a picture like this: ...
sarcasm.gif

yes, I am serious...

"among other issues could it be that recruits see a loaded young team that may be hard to get immediate pt on?"

Tubby is a great coach and an average recruiter who will always bring the Gophers to 20-plus wins and a one- (or two-) and-done appearance in the Dance. It's who we are and who we will be.

Tubby has a history of spreading minutes. he has two seniors that will be getting 25 plus. 3 guards in westy, nolan and devoe that will eat minutes. any 2010 recruit would also have had to be thinking royce and trevor would be getting minutes.

obviously a true 4 or 5 star would expect to play immediately, and alot. he might not expect to be getting 30 minutes as a freshman under Tubby.

for the record, I dont expect Tubby to be able to out recruit roy williams at NC or izzo at MSU.

note I started my post with "among other issues..."

That's one interpretation. Another would be that he's doing exactly what he said he would do. That is, make a decision when he's ready. He hasn't mentioned anything about favoring anybody in particular, so to automatically assume he won't be a Gopher just because he hasn't signed or committed yet is jumping the gun just a bit. The fact is that as of now, nobody can assume anything one way or the other.

I am underwhelmed by this class so far, but it hurts when the state of Minnesota doesn't produce any top recruits in a give year. Jacob Thomas is rated in ESPN's top 100, but from posts on this board, it was clear that grades were/are an issue with him. If he had the grades, he wanted to come to Minnesota. Eliason has an offer from Stanford and if you look at their 2010 class it is pretty good. Hollins claims offers from Memphis and Arkansas. If that is accurate, I'd probably rather have him than a number of players who fill the 2nd half of most top 100 lists. I also think you could argue that this class filled some needs. Eliason is 6'11 and there are only so many of those guys to go around. Hollins is said to be a good shooter and if he's Hoffarber's successor, I am glad we are getting him in 2010 where he'll play with Blake for a year as opposed to counting on a true freshman to fill the "pure shooter" role when Blake graduates.

I am underwhelmed by this class so far, but it hurts when the state of Minnesota doesn't produce any top recruits in a give year. Jacob Thomas is rated in ESPN's top 100, but from posts on this board, it was clear that grades were/are an issue with him. If he had the grades, he wanted to come to Minnesota. Eliason has an offer from Stanford and if you look at their 2010 class it is pretty good. Hollins claims offers from Memphis and Arkansas. If that is accurate, I'd probably rather have him than a number of players who fill the 2nd half of most top 100 lists. I also think you could argue that this class filled some needs. Eliason is 6'11 and there are only so many of those guys to go around. Hollins is said to be a good shooter and if he's Hoffarber's successor, I am glad we are getting him in 2010 where he'll play with Blake for a year as opposed to counting on a true freshman to fill the "pure shooter" role when Blake graduates.

I agree that the 2010 class filled roles, but without White and/or Mbakwe next season, the team will be void of an impact player.

Couldn't you make that argument for every team?

Tubby has a history of spreading minutes. he has two seniors that will be getting 25 plus. 3 guards in westy, nolan and devoe that will eat minutes. any 2010 recruit would also have had to be thinking royce and trevor would be getting minutes.

obviously a true 4 or 5 star would expect to play immediately, and alot. he might not expect to be getting 30 minutes as a freshman under Tubby.

for the record, I dont expect Tubby to be able to out recruit roy williams at NC or izzo at MSU.

note I started my post with "among other issues..."

Tayshaun Prince = 5 Star = mid-year starter as frosh at UK.

Keith Bogans = 5 Star = first month starter as frosh at UK.

Jason Parker = 5 Star = Day 1 starter as frosh at UK.

Randolph Morris = 5 Star = Day 1 starter as frosh at UK.

Rajon Rondo = 5 Star = Day 1 starter as frosh at UK.

To name a few of Tubby's freshman starters at UK.

Top Bottom