Tubby's 2010 recruiting

I hope we eventually have a country that someone can criticize Tubby without being called a racist. That being said, Doyel isn't very bright.

Ok settle bet for us Big Play. One poster here says you're 17 years old, I bet there's no way you're over 15 years old. Who wins the bet?

You guys remember the kid a few months back who was ripping Alipate's younger brother claiming he sucked and that the poster himself averaged a double-double as a Freshman? Then it was pointed out there were no Freshmen who'd averaged a double-double in that conference and the kid disappeared. I think this might be the same kid.

I hope we eventually have a country that someone can criticize Tubby without being called a racist. That being said, Doyel isn't very bright.

Most can do that. But Doyel is one of those R words, sad to say. Mississippi born and bred, through and through.

You guys remember the kid a few months back who was ripping Alipate's younger brother claiming he sucked and that the poster himself averaged a double-double as a Freshman? Then it was pointed out there were no Freshmen who'd averaged a double-double in that conference and the kid disappeared. I think this might be the same kid.

This "Big Play" guy sounds like (1) a guy with a severe inferiority complex or (2) one of RSIII's friends who is dissing him and then saying yo Sampson, come here and look at what people are writing about you dude!

Either way, "Big Play" is acting quite juvenile and if he keeps it up, I too will be ignoring that poster.

CostaRicanGopher: I think you're thinking of DevoeFan who, ironically I do believe, had a picture of RSIII as his picture? That was the idiot that kept posting stupid, horrendously spelled insight. Anyway, to Sir Big Play (my guess is 14-year old, obsessed with recruiting pages more than actual results), you are making the real Mr. Traye Simmons look bad. Please change your picture immediately to prevent him from incurring any more wrath from your idiotic posts. Thank you.

I've read some anti-Duke articles by Doyel before. Although I do enjoy them and think they are funny, he is a terrible writer. It seems most of his articles are about something he loves or somethign he really hates. Obviously he doesn't like Tubby for some reason. I really could care less what he thinks.

I've read some anti-Duke articles by Doyel before. Although I do enjoy them and think they are funny, he is a terrible writer. It seems most of his articles are about something he loves or somethign he really hates. Obviously he doesn't like Tubby for some reason. I really could care less what he thinks.

I told you the reason. It's sad but that's what it is.

Over on the football board there are some posters that think BPT is the real Big Play Traye. I do not think that is possible.

goldenshower...

You mention that a couple of Big Ten schools have a jump on the 2010 recruiting class. As an Illinois fan, I have to mention that Illinois also has a big jump on most schools for the 2010 class. Two five-star recruits (6-7 Jereme Richmond and 6-4 Crandall Head) and one four-star recruit (6-11 Meyers Leonard) have the 2010 UI recruiting class in the top 5 in the country at this point in time.

With a top 10 class this year, Weber will have two monster classes in a row which leads one to believe that he has figured out the recruiting end of the business.

The Big Ten should be much tougher in a couple of years on the national level. imo

Re: Combes
Apart from recruiting how would you evaluate Weber at this point? What is your take on Chasson Randle?

Re: Combes
What is your take on Chasson Randle?

I am obviously not Combes, but I'll take a stab at the question. Randle is generally regarded as one of the top 5 players in a very talented 2011 class in Illinois, which would make him at least a solid top 100 kid nationally. He sounds like an athletic, 6'2" or 3" combo guard. He is from Rock Island, IL and plays with the Illinois Wolves AAU program, which means he will get very good coaching. He already has offers from Illinois and Indiana, and has received interest from a number of other very good programs, including UW. He visited Madison with a couple Wolves teammates this fall (Illinois game, I believe), though the rumblings are that he is a heavy Illinois lean. That said, it appears that Illinois' top priority among 2011 guards is Tracy Abrams, who is more of a true PG than Randle.

Let Big Play Have His Say

I for one, enjoy negative comments as much as positive ones. To much Rah Rah, can be boring. It takes all kinds to make a discussion interesting. Big Play's comments spurred more feed-back then the original thread. The only thing I hate to see people say in a free society is "you can't say that". Censorship is far worse then disagreement.

As far as Sampson goes, I think he is already a good addition to a team that lacks size. He has great variety to his game and he will eventually be better than we have had for a while in the post.

Why can't you even give one example?

Just Google him. It won't take long to find many examples.

It's perfectly fine to criticize Tubby or any coach. But when the vitriol spewed by Doyel is viewed in context, you'll see there is something else involved.

A coach who won 76% of his games (72% in NCAA games) while averaging 26 W per season and earning 1 NCAA title, 5 SEC titles, and 5 SECT championships (in 10 years) did not destroy the UK program.

He will NOT be fired in 2012 as Doyel predicted. You'll see the racism if you look for it. Doyel is dirt.

Evaluation of Weber...

I think it is hard to evaluate any coach without the consideration of recruiting. Weber has proven he can coach talent. However, I would say that is true of most coaches, especially the ones in the Big Ten. I don't believe that there is any coach in the league that is going to just outcoach the rest of the league with lesser talent. The quality of coaches in the league is too good. imo

I am happy with Weber as the coach, especially with the talent lined up over the next few seasons. I like Illinois' sophomore class: McCamey can be as good a point guard as there is in the league. Mike Davis has a chance to be a star. He is 6-10, great leaper, quick, with a soft shooting touch. Alex Legion has yet to play, but he is a top 40 recruit. And it may take awhile, but 7-1 Mike Tisdale has skills that lack only strength.

The 2009 class is great. The 2010 class is even better.

As for 2011, Illinois will have perhaps 6 scholarships available. Top targets at guard are Tracy Abrams, Chasson Randle, Wayne Blackshear, and Bradley Beal from St. Louis. 6-5 Sam Thompson and 6-7 Mike Shaw are two of the best high school players in the country. Center Nnana Egwu and small forward Jacob Williams are also targets. Abrams is a key since many of these kids have expressed an interest in playing with Abrams. A commitment from him would be big.

I don't think Illinois will ultimately end up with Blackshear, and Randle grew up as an Illinois fan, so I see Randle as a more likely addition. I will say that I saw him play this past week and he was awful. :) However, he has talent and just had a bad game.

I think it is sort of an advantage that Illinois has filled its 2009 and 2010 classes and does not have a scholarship available until the 2011 class. Lots of time for the UI staff to build relationships with that group.

With Minnesota adding talent like crazy and Illinois on its way back, I think the Big Ten is looking good for the future. OSU, MSU, Purdue are strong for the future. Michigan is rebounding. Wisconsin is always good. Even Northwestern has upgraded its talent.

End this thread

What does this thread have to do with its title anymore? I keep getting excited when I come on here and see new posts under the Tubby's 2010 recruiting thread hoping to hear something about what Tubby is doing for his 2010 recruiting class......SILLY ME!

This thread should be called, "Idiot with an axe to grind against Ralph Sampson and how to ignore him, plus people who dislike a guy that slammed Tubby."

What does this thread have to do with its title anymore? I keep getting excited when I come on here and see new posts under the Tubby's 2010 recruiting thread hoping to hear something about what Tubby is doing for his 2010 recruiting class......SILLY ME!

This thread should be called, "Idiot with an axe to grind against Ralph Sampson and how to ignore him, plus people who dislike a guy that slammed Tubby."

Gophers have 3 open scholarships for 2010. Look for G, F, and C to be signed.

I think it is hard to evaluate any coach without the consideration of recruiting. Weber has proven he can coach talent. However, I would say that is true of most coaches, especially the ones in the Big Ten. I don't believe that there is any coach in the league that is going to just outcoach the rest of the league with lesser talent. The quality of coaches in the league is too good. imo

I am happy with Weber as the coach, especially with the talent lined up over the next few seasons. I like Illinois' sophomore class: McCamey can be as good a point guard as there is in the league. Mike Davis has a chance to be a star. He is 6-10, great leaper, quick, with a soft shooting touch. Alex Legion has yet to play, but he is a top 40 recruit. And it may take awhile, but 7-1 Mike Tisdale has skills that lack only strength.

The 2009 class is great. The 2010 class is even better.

As for 2011, Illinois will have perhaps 6 scholarships available. Top targets at guard are Tracy Abrams, Chasson Randle, Wayne Blackshear, and Bradley Beal from St. Louis. 6-5 Sam Thompson and 6-7 Mike Shaw are two of the best high school players in the country. Center Nnana Egwu and small forward Jacob Williams are also targets. Abrams is a key since many of these kids have expressed an interest in playing with Abrams. A commitment from him would be big.

I don't think Illinois will ultimately end up with Blackshear, and Randle grew up as an Illinois fan, so I see Randle as a more likely addition. I will say that I saw him play this past week and he was awful. :) However, he has talent and just had a bad game.

I think it is sort of an advantage that Illinois has filled its 2009 and 2010 classes and does not have a scholarship available until the 2011 class. Lots of time for the UI staff to build relationships with that group.

With Minnesota adding talent like crazy and Illinois on its way back, I think the Big Ten is looking good for the future. OSU, MSU, Purdue are strong for the future. Michigan is rebounding. Wisconsin is always good. Even Northwestern has upgraded its talent.

Weber, yes. But give plenty of credit to Jay Price and Jerrance Howard on his staff.

Of course...

that is a given. But part of being a head coach is hiring good assistants.

However, whenever recruits talk about Illinois, they invariably mention how much they like Weber.

Jerrance Howard is a rising star, no doubt. And Jay Price doesn't get as much credit as he should.

I was asked what I thought of Weber as a coach. The man can coach basketball. Like any coach, he needs talent. Illinois will have a boatload of talent over the next few years. So will a handful of other Big Ten teams. Should be fun.

that is a given. But part of being a head coach is hiring good assistants.

However, whenever recruits talk about Illinois, they invariably mention how much they like Weber.

Jerrance Howard is a rising star, no doubt. And Jay Price doesn't get as much credit as he should.

I was asked what I thought of Weber as a coach. The man can coach basketball. Like any coach, he needs talent. Illinois will have a boatload of talent over the next few years. So will a handful of other Big Ten teams. Should be fun.

Nice trade with Kentucky. Tracy Webster for Jerrance Howard. U of IL got the better of that swap.

Top Bottom