Tubby

bga1

Reaction score
Tubby will you get in the game? Cobbs gets completely jobbed on the intentional and Tubby stands there looking like he's managing his retirement account. The half court offense scheme STINKS and he doesn't do a thing to stop momentum. Get a little passion Tubby. I love him as a coach, the way the team comes prepared to play hard but his game management the goofy lineups and line changes and the lack of a press tonight are killing me. He says we can't press there. Why? We pressed well at Purdue. If we don't turn them over with the press and get Hoff and others some looks off the break - we don't stand much of a chance.

Tubby will you get in the game? Cobbs gets completely jobbed on the intentional and Tubby stands there looking like he's managing his retirement account. The half court offense scheme STINKS and he doesn't do a thing to stop momentum. Get a little passion Tubby. I love him as a coach, the way the team comes prepared to play hard but his game management the goofy lineups and line changes and the lack of a press tonight are killing me. He says we can't press there. Why? We pressed well at Purdue. If we don't turn them over with the press and get Hoff and others some looks off the break - we don't stand much of a chance.

What a ridiculous comment.

Tubby probably feels like they got away with one on Colt's elbow so he didn't want to push his luck...

Tubby probably feels like they got away with one on Colt's elbow so he didn't want to push his luck...

Bull$hit, Art...It is time for Tubby to unload on these worthlessly officiated games on the road, but at The Barn, we still get hosed.

What a ridiculous comment.

Sorry FOT, I know he's your buddy but I don't think he's coaching a good game here. I'm ecstatic he's our coach, he's a great coach. I just don't think you can give up your team's identity automatically because you are visiting East Lansing. It's not his fault we have a bad half court offense, that's our personnel. It's not what we do.

Sorry FOT, I know he's your buddy but I don't think he's coaching a good game here. I'm ecstatic he's our coach, he's a great coach. I just don't think you can give up your team's identity automatically because you are visiting East Lansing. It's not his fault we have a bad half court offense, that's our personnel. It's not what we do.

51-49 now, Gophers with the ball, 5 minutes left.

Whose fault is that?

Whose fault is that?

Tubby is going to miss the leftovers next year. Johnson and Westy are going to be missed a lot. Johnson is a skinny kid who no one thought would do a thing. Looks like he has proved that false. Westy is Westy - tough as nails and willing to take any shot - and not willing to pass as much as he should.

it is called being cutthroat!! I would rather he shot when we need it and not pass up a shot!!!

I must say I do miss

Clem ripping his jacket and tie off...
Musselman flaying away on the sidelines. By the end of the game he was without coat and tie and his shirt sleeves rolled up.
I would say Tubby mirrors Jim Dutcher.

Tubby is being too fricken nice to the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty refs!!! He needs to unload on them and let them know how piss poor of a job they do!!!

I do not advocate whining after every questionable call (ie. Bo the Badger) but once in awhile, a coach has to stand up for his players. Player's can't complain too much to refs with out receiving a technical. A coach needs to get on the refs, especially on the road, to make sure its called as evenly as possible. Hell, sometimes getting T'd up gets your players fired up. I too miss the Clem Coat Removal.

Whose fault is that?

Tubby is an HOF coach and I'm a stupid fan who wants a win. So no doubt he knows what he's doing. Nonetheless, everybody makes mistakes and I don't like the passive way Tubby ran this game- it's just an opinion from a Tubby booster. He consistently has the players playing solid D and that kept them in this game when MSU went cold.

The OP is over-the-top. However, I do wonder if Tubby needs to adjust how we works the refs a bit. At Kentucky, he probably didn't have to work the refs too much, the name on the jersey ensures you'll get your calls. Also, even at Georgia in the SEC they probably don't have the same level of home-cooking that you have to fight against on the road. It would be good to see Tubby realize you have to fight for your rights on the road in the Big 10.

Tubby is an HOF coach and I'm a stupid fan who wants a win. So no doubt he knows what he's doing. Nonetheless, everybody makes mistakes and I don't like the passive way Tubby ran this game- it's just an opinion from a Tubby booster. He consistently has the players playing solid D and that kept them in this game when MSU went cold.

Players play and usually determine W or L, not the coach.

Gophers played OK. Good D especially. But OK doesn't W road games in Big 10.

The OP is over-the-top. However, I do wonder if Tubby needs to adjust how we works the refs a bit. At Kentucky, he probably didn't have to work the refs too much, the name on the jersey ensures you'll get your calls. Also, even at Georgia in the SEC they probably don't have the same level of home-cooking that you have to fight against on the road. It would be good to see Tubby realize you have to fight for your rights on the road in the Big 10.

I thought the same thing, but what if he pisses the refs off and we dont get calls at home, then we're screwed

I thought the same thing, but what if he pisses the refs off and we dont get calls at home, then we're screwed

Big 10 refs were horrible my freshman year at Purdue (1969-70) and still are.

But they're horrible at home and on the road, for both teams. They're just BAD.

It (sort of) evens out.

The only thing I see worth complaining about tonight are the bench and the refs. The game was at Mich St, we had 3 points from our bench, basically nothing from Hoffarber, and we still almost won. A loss is a loss, but that's the best feeling I've had after watching us play them in who knows how long. I can't really complain with our coaching or our starters tonight.

Tubby has this team playing better and better since he has come to MN. The guys Tubby personally recruited are now freshmen and sophomores. He is getting good minutes out of the guys he inherited. You never saw a Mondon team play the kind of D this team plays. That is by no means a rip on Dan, just a fact that is to coach Smith's credit. Even the half court offense is gradually getting better. Tubby is doing his thing and it is working. We lost by 30 at MSU last year. When Tubby's recruits are upper classmen, this will be a very very good team. We have no idea what is going on in practice and what the coaches are dealing with to get to this point. Stand back and look at the progress we have made. We have a world class coach. Let's not become Kentucky and begin to chew the guy up. Please.

I had more of a problem with Tubby's strategy, but I understand what you are saying. The half-court game was horrible. We didn't set a pick for long stretches of time. Those times down the court ended up with forced shots or turnovers. Even after timeouts-The team went right back into the motion offense with no results.

No movement without the ball at all last night. That is on the coaches.

Not Tubby's best coached game. Am I sorry he is here? No! Are we lucky to have him? Yes! Did he coach a good game? No! Tubby gets some blame for this loss imo. Our defense can't always bail out the team.

The one thing I do agree with Tubby is the lack of pressing. Mich. State would have had ten dunks or more if we would have tried to press all game. They are too good with the ball for that.

I love that Tubby doesn't blow up. Personally I think he's saving his blow ups for home games and big games that matter at at the end of the year. It's not like we've never seen him get on the refs. He just hasn't done it this year yet.

Tubby has this team playing better and better since he has come to MN. The guys Tubby personally recruited are now freshmen and sophomores. He is getting good minutes out of the guys he inherited. You never saw a Mondon team play the kind of D this team plays. That is by no means a rip on Dan, just a fact that is to coach Smith's credit. Even the half court offense is gradually getting better. Tubby is doing his thing and it is working. We lost by 30 at MSU last year. When Tubby's recruits are upper classmen, this will be a very very good team. We have no idea what is going on in practice and what the coaches are dealing with to get to this point. Stand back and look at the progress we have made. We have a world class coach. Let's not become Kentucky and begin to chew the guy up. Please.

No kidding. Since last night and a narrow loss to a top-10 Michigan State team on the road, I've read posts in which Westbrook is jealous of Blake, Iverson should be playing D2 ball and Tubby doesn't get into the game enough. Wow. You would have never thought we lost to a top-10 team on the road in a very competitive game. Good call BrewsterBooster. Everyone just needs to lighten up and enjoy the rest of the season.

I love how so many people on here somehow know the team better than Tubby does and know how we should be subbing.

I had more of a problem with Tubby's strategy, but I understand what you are saying. The half-court game was horrible. We didn't set a pick for long stretches of time. Those times down the court ended up with forced shots or turnovers. Even after timeouts-The team went right back into the motion offense with no results.

No movement without the ball at all last night. That is on the coaches.

Not Tubby's best coached game. Am I sorry he is here? No! Are we lucky to have him? Yes! Did he coach a good game? No! Tubby gets some blame for this loss imo. Our defense can't always bail out the team.

The one thing I do agree with Tubby is the lack of pressing. Mich. State would have had ten dunks or more if we would have tried to press all game. They are too good with the ball for that.

Tikited- good points. Do you think we will press the Spartans at home? I would not advocate that we press MSU for a full game. I'd say 15 -20 minutes off and on would do it. Yes you are going to get a few run outs but this team gets back really well and the press has proven to inspire their best efforts all year. That's what they appear to enjoy doing and they do it well. I don't believe in giving up your best weapon just because you are on the road. Seems like a concession to me. Our offense has ONLY looked good in the half court against teams that either lack ability or didn't hustle on D.

No kidding. Since last night and a narrow loss to a top-10 Michigan State team on the road, I've read posts in which Westbrook is jealous of Blake, Iverson should be playing D2 ball and Tubby doesn't get into the game enough. Wow. You would have never thought we lost to a top-10 team on the road in a very competitive game. Good call BrewsterBooster. Everyone just needs to lighten up and enjoy the rest of the season.

I agree 100% with you guys. I also like to mention that MSU team is a veteran team. Experience won that game. A bad run to the basket by Al toward the end of the game and a couple of bad calls by refs plus a bad pass by Westbrook contributed also.

Tikited- good points. Do you think we will press the Spartans at home? I would not advocate that we press MSU for a full game. I'd say 15 -20 minutes off and on would do it. Yes you are going to get a few run outs but this team gets back really well and the press has proven to inspire their best efforts all year. That's what they appear to enjoy doing and they do it well. I don't believe in giving up your best weapon just because you are on the road. Seems like a concession to me. Our offense has ONLY looked good in the half court against teams that either lack ability or didn't hustle on D.

Playing at home is an entirely different situation (especially for us historically) and I would think we will press more. Defense is our strength for sure.

Top Bottom