Tubby subs

NateDawgUM

bored with recruiting talk
Reaction score
I can't stand it anymore. There's NO REASON to take out all of your experienced players at the same time, when they're playing well on the road against the #2 team in the country.

NO REASON. Take them out sporadically.

I have been complaining about this all year.

I have been complaining about this all year.

I am renaming Tubby to stubby - as in stubborn. This just doesn't work. We are playing hard but that just kills us.

It is especially frustrating when those subs lead to three straight turnovers. Ohio St. smells the fear of those freshmen.

Substitutions and Perimeter defense is the achilles heal of this Gopher team all year, but all the rubes as well as non-rubes know that

I have nothing against playing freshmen, but subbing them all in at ONCE kills this team.

Substitutions and Perimeter defense is the achilles heal of this Gopher team all year, but all the rubes as well as non-rubes know that

A kid like Armelin or Hollins or Maverick all would be better players -more confident if they play alongside a veteran. We throw 3 frosh out there and the other team all of the sudden look like wolves on defense.

I have nothing against playing freshmen, but subbing them all in at ONCE kills this team.

And here he goes again, Ahanmisi in with Hollins and Iverson....

Might as well take out Mbakwe for a long time since he is making our team play well and has zero fouls. Time to adopt the UK nickname "Ten loss Tubby."

Don't even get me started on nolens inability to shoot.....

Did anyone else come to play today besides Trevor??? obviously not nolen or iverson

Don't even get me started on nolens inability to shoot.....

This is the easiest offense to defend in the Big Ten. Lacking shooters and lacking any offensive design or purpose. The difference between how easy OSU gets a shot off compared with us is startling. Pass, pass, pass and they are open. For us- dribble, stand, pass, repeat.

Wow! crazy coaching again. announcers are like "what?" lol
Time for Trevor to take it to the hole.

The older folks on this board will appreciate this: Tubby is Clem-like in his substitution patterns.

To me, it seems like you get yanked if you do something stupid or don't guard. It seems as if substitution almost never has anything to do with offense.

If you screw up, you get yanked. Offense be damned.

Lack of depth, tough to stay in the game when you give up 6 straight with the subs in. Starters have played well though.

The older folks on this board will appreciate this: Tubby is Clem-like in his substitution patterns.

To me, it seems like you get yanked if you do something stupid or don't guard. It seems as if substitution almost never has anything to do with offense.

If you screw up, you get yanked. Offense be damned.

Clem was like that with certain guys. I don't think he was afflicted with the line change issue though. Clem unlike Tubby liked to promote a star scorer and once you got to be that guy then you stayed in through your errors.

I hate to say this, but when it comes to defensive positioning Rodney Williams impresses me. Blake honestly may be the worst defender in the Big Ten. He also doubles down, loses his man, which creates a wide open shot, which Ohio St. knocks down...man our defense is swiss cheese.

Iverson needs to show some improvement. He cannot finish on offense, turns the ball over with his hard hands, and really has shown little improvement year over year. . He may have peaked during his sophomore year, I hate to say it. lets hope he has some upside left and he starts showing it , NOW!

Wait...who here was posting how much better the Gophers would be without Joseph?

I meant Clem-like in that he ends up with bizarre combinations on the floor where nobody can score.

I don't think with or without Devoe on the floor, the outcome of this game would have made any difference. We do not play great defense and obviously we cannot score and are player by player over matched against a more talented team.

All i have read is negative posts about tubby's coaching, substitutions, defence, lack of player development etc does anyone really blame devoe for leaving?

Ive had a problem with Tubbys substitutions for a while now. It just makes no sense, were not at home, were on the road against the #2 team in the country trying not to go to 1-3 in the Big Ten and he puts in a bunch of freshmen. Are u fcking kiddin me? I love just about everything else about Tubby but this is terrible. Does any other coach do that??

I don't think any coach would make the difference in this game. They have more talent than we do. The issue is could a different coaching style keep the inevitable outcome closer. It might be time to let some of the fresh play , It might make us better in February and March.

I agree..i dont think any coach in the country could take our roster and win at ohio state...were purely overmatched...besides trevor almost every player thats came on the court today would be our 2nd best player if he was on our team

I don't think any coach would make the difference in this game. They have more talent than we do. The issue is could a different coaching style keep the inevitable outcome closer. It might be time to let some of the fresh play , It might make us better in February and March.

We aren't going to be on the bubble come February and March that is the problem. Even the announcers comment on how all we do is stand around...this offense is atrocious, and the defense is even worse.

To sum it all up, the sky is falling...

Ive had a problem with Tubbys substitutions for a while now. It just makes no sense, were not at home, were on the road against the #2 team in the country trying not to go to 1-3 in the Big Ten and he puts in a bunch of freshmen. Are u fcking kiddin me? I love just about everything else about Tubby but this is terrible. Does any other coach do that??

And here's Ahanmisi in again with Hollins... Why can't the hoff swtich to the point for 2 minutes at a time and let other more talented players have the minutes. Armelin is far and away the more talented player than Ahanmisi yet he rides the pine. He's one kid that shows some desire to create on offense. Yes he makes mistakes but Ahanmisi has 3 TOs by my count so far and simply cannot keep up with OSUs athletes.

We aren't going to be on the bubble come February and March that is the problem. Even the announcers comment on how all we do is stand around...this offense is atrocious, and the defense is even worse.

To sum it all up, the sky is falling...

The sky is not falling. We simply don't have any perimeter players that can create. I am positive long-term that Armelin, Hollins, and Hollins (Andre) can supply this going forward. I also wish we would run the curl more with Williams, get him the ball just above the free throw line, and let him elevate in the lane.

Top Bottom