Tubby Smith Leads Texas Tech Past No. 12 Baylor

Now that's just funny! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That 2009-10 team was pretty stacked before **** hit the fan, if the transfers don't happen and Royce stays outta trouble, a sweet 16 isn't so far fetched, heck last years team which didn't have nearly the depth as that 2010 team was as high as 8th in the nation at one point.

That 2009-10 team was pretty stacked before **** hit the fan, if the transfers don't happen and Royce stays outta trouble, a sweet 16 isn't so far fetched, heck last years team which didn't have nearly the depth as that 2010 team was as high as 8th in the nation at one point.

True, but last year we just beat the teams we were supposed to beat and moved up to #8 because of it. Besides MSU maybe.

I was going to mention this if no one else did. We had what could have been the team's two best players sidelined for the entire season, and went 9-9 in the Big Ten. We lost four Big Ten games by three points or less, including one point home losses to Big Ten co-champs Michigan State and Purdue. With those two we could have certainly competed for a Big Ten title, not to mention we were without Al Nolen for most of Big Ten play. And who knows what we could have accomplished the next year if Al Nolen, Justin Cobbs, Devoe Joseph, Mo Walker, Paul Carter, and Royce White had been at school and able to play. We were doing pretty darn good that year with just two of those guys, then we lost two upperclassmen point guard options in the span of about a week and it all went downhill from there.

The reason I defend Tubby is because he really seemed to have us set up for success in his third and fourth seasons, but it didn't work out largely because of things that were outside of his control. Two or three tournament wins in those years gives you something to build off of and sell to better recruits.

I was going to mention this if no one else did. We had what could have been the team's two best players sidelined for the entire season, and went 9-9 in the Big Ten. We lost four Big Ten games by three points or less, including one point home losses to Big Ten co-champs Michigan State and Purdue. With those two we could have certainly competed for a Big Ten title, not to mention we were without Al Nolen for most of Big Ten play. And who knows what we could have accomplished the next year if Al Nolen, Justin Cobbs, Devoe Joseph, Mo Walker, Paul Carter, and Royce White had been at school and able to play. We were doing pretty darn good that year with just two of those guys, then we lost two upperclassmen point guard options in the span of about a week and it all went downhill from there.

The reason I defend Tubby is because he really seemed to have us set up for success in his third and fourth seasons, but it didn't work out largely because of things that were outside of his control. Two or three tournament wins in those years gives you something to build off of and sell to better recruits.

it didn't work out, so he gave up. Or looked like he gave up, and went into "cruise control til I get fired" mode

Not sure what Mo Walker had to do with this, but Cobbs, Joseph and Carter all chose to transfer away from Tubby. Carter did a good job of spinning it in a PC way, but that is 3 of the 4 players you mentioned (putting aside Walker who was in HS and Royce which is on Maturi)

Baylor is a poor defensive team and shot 4/20 from 3FG on the road. These things will happen.

Going to be UGLY at TTU. They'll have a tough time reaching 15 wins. "Almost 20" is pure nonsense.

They've been pretty competitive in the conference so far including a signature win. Far from ugly given expectations.

Ken Rosenthal tweeted something like: "Tubby beat #12 Baylor last night, so what does Pitino do? Beat #11 Ohio State the next". Nice wins for both coaches, but looks like Pitino just one-upped Orlando!

Top Bottom