Tubby Smith Leads Texas Tech Past No. 12 Baylor

After three close conference losses, Tubby finally gets a win upsetting the number 12 team in the country. Tubby continues to resurrect programs and knock off top teams. As I mentioned previously, that Texas Tech team would give The Gophs all they could handle.I am interested to see how the Tubby haters weigh in tonight.

After three close conference losses, Tubby finally gets a win upsetting the number 12 team in the country. Tubby continues to resurrect programs and knock off top teams. As I mentioned previously, that Texas Tech team would give The Gophs all they could handle.I am interested to see how the Tubby haters weigh in tonight.
Don't do it just delete post and walk away from the computer.

Good for Tubby. He seems like a very honorable guy and a very good basketball coach. Unfortunately, things just became stale here with the Tubster. Perhaps, he hit a ceiling. And, he played a very hard-to-watch brand of offense at Minnesota. Even the commentators noticed and discussed it. His standing here wasn't helped when he lost some players too (even if those situations had little to do with him). Then, when it looked like the "big three" were destined to leave Minnesota, that was going to put him in a worse "light" with Gopher fans (even if it had little to do with him). People had really high expectations for Tubby and when he didn't produce the results people expected, he was doomed whether he deserved it or not. Then, to top it off, he wasn't the AD's hand-picked man. Just not a great formula for longevity. Finally, there were assertions he didn't develop some of his players well enough, or selected a few recruits who didn't have the ability to get much better. Whether his boss believed that, we'll never know.

If we fall short of the tourney I would love to see Texas Tech in the NIT.

And congrats to Tubby, but remember he's doing it with some other guy's players. ;)

If the goal is to become a top-three team in the Big Ten, clearly we weren't reaching the goal with Tubby. Need to move on and keep trying to find the guy who can get us there. Same with football. I'm sure our facilities situation doesn't help things either. Have to keep shooting for the goal.

Just looked at the box score. Tubby Hater's gunna hate this:

Minutes played by each Tech player

2 (Foster)

That's only 9 guys. And one was for 2 minutes (our guy) and another for 6. Four players over 30 minutes? Why isn't he sitting his best players for long stretches???

Just looked at the box score. Tubby Hater's gunna hate this:

Minutes played by each Tech player

2 (Foster)

That's only 9 guys. And one was for 2 minutes (our guy) and another for 6. Four players over 30 minutes? Why isn't he sitting his best players for long stretches???

It appears that was not a normal night though. There are 10 guys who average at least 10 minutes this season. Only three average over 25 and no one averages over 28.5.

It's not February yet.

Happy for Tubby. Great win for his program. That Jaye Crockett dude can fly, a couple monster dunks.

Said before the season with their challenging schedule if Tubby got 13 wins out of this (under-talented) squad it would be a huge success. He's got 9, needs four more. Won't be easy, but 13 wins seems in range with TT's 9-8 record. Tech has improved a lot since earlier in the season.

I don't think the shorty, chubby white kid with the head band played last night, so that was probably a plus for Tech. Reminds me of when John Lickliter (that's not a compliment) was getting minutes for Iowa.

Tubby definitely has a rebuild down there. I'm not sure it serves any purpose for someone to come on here as a "Tubby supporter" and gloat about this one win. It is nice. We're happy for Tubby. But, his team is 2-8 in games vs. BCS level teams (and one of those wins is against Houston, which just became a BCS level team). I'd still take the under on 13 total wins right now, but again, he inherited a bundle of nothing down there, so it will take time, if it happens. I am genuinely happy they have something to give them hope, though. They should enjoy the heck out of that Baylor win.

Agree. I hope this board can get to the point where every time Tubby has a big win or a bad loss, we don't have to start a thread that re-hashes the running commentary. Eventually I think that stuff will go away, just like it did after awhile after Monson took the LBSU job.

For any of you that have watched a TT game this season, is Tubby as racist at TT as he was here?

BUTT

ku-xlarge.jpg

h/t Deadspin

I think Tubby will come very close to winning 20 games this year. There has been tremendous improvement in that team since the season began. Tolbert, Crockett, and Turner are all quality players and he has some depth. Tubby's system works if he can get the players to buy in to his concepts. If it wasn't for bad luck and unforseen circumstances here, he most likely would have made several sweet 16's and possibly an elite 8 or final four.

Great win for Tubby, just because he wasn't successful at Minnesota I'm not going to be petty and hope he fails, congratulations on this win.

I think Tubby will come very close to winning 20 games this year. There has been tremendous improvement in that team since the season began. Tolbert, Crockett, and Turner are all quality players and he has some depth. Tubby's system works if he can get the players to buy in to his concepts. If it wasn't for bad luck and unforseen circumstances here, he most likely would have made several sweet 16's and possibly an elite 8 or final four.

In before the desolation on the above comment....

I agree there has been significant improvement from his team. And absolutely, Hi Lo offense works, so does having athletic wings that can score. He seems to have a couple of those, or at least he did last night.

More than anything, last night proves, that in college basketball, any team can beat anyone on any given night.

I think Tubby will come very close to winning 20 games this year.

I guess it depends on how you define "close to 20," but for Tubby to get to 20, he will need to take a team that has won 25% of its games against BCS level competition up to this point and get them to play roughly .750 in the remaining games in the 2nd toughest league in the country. I love your optimism and hope you are correct, but I can't see it. Yes, they've gotten better, but where will he find 11 more wins with 14 regular season games remaining?

If it wasn't for bad luck and unforseen circumstances here, he most likely would have made several sweet 16's and possibly an elite 8 or final four.

Now that's just funny! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It would be funny, mcal, if jumpstop wasn't dead serious about his outlandish "If..." comment.

Even the most ardent Tubby bashers probably don't need to touch that one.

It would be funny, mcal, if jumpstop wasn't dead serious about his outlandish "If..." comment.

Well, to be fair, I think if... Tubby would have gotten a few more 5 star recruits and had easy matchups and the refs on his side every game, they could have made a few sweet 16 runs.

When I saw them play earlier this year, I thought the reports of their low talent level were a bit overblown. They have some guys that can do some things. Tubby definitely has something to build on there. That said, Bob Knight couldn't get above a certain plateau there. At least Tubby won't be making a scene with the university president at the grocery store.

Top Bottom