Tubby can thank Austin Hollins for saving his job

This is definitely the best Iowa team in probably five or six years. They physically dominated the gophers, especially Mbakwe. They play tough defense, set hard screens and move well without the ball. If they had one more athletic player (not elite, just good to very good) they would be a top 3-4 B1G team. McCaffrey has them playing at or near the top of their collective ability.

No, they didn't physically dominate the Gophers. It was even in rebounds, they had 1 more steal, we had 5 more blocked shots. Sort of even. But in your scenario, you dislike Tubby, so play up the lucky win over a team that had no business being in the game with us, but are scrappy white guys who are coached so much better. Iowa is inconsistent, but they have beaten Wisconsin, lost to Michigan by 3, and lost to Indiana by 4. We've lost a couple of games where the Gophers didn't make plays at the end. Yesterday, they did. We're also lucky that they shot free throws worse than us, but that's sort of how basketball games are. Wish some folks would enjoy the fact Austin made the big shot, Andre hit two clutch free throws, Austin got the strip, and we guarded the last desperation shot without fouling. Instead we have silly assertions like one shot by Austin saved Tubby's job. Not an original thought, but see how things play out for the whole year. No injuries or drama, and we can judge where the program is a hell of a lot better.

This...
I can tell you that what we see in the Barn is what college basketball is. Not always pretty and teams that are world beaters one night can look awful the next (see Oregon). The best teams can go on losing streaks against teams they should beat (see Louisville and Syracuse). Talented teams do not always play to potential (see North Carolina). I am becoming more convinced that fan bases are unrealistic about the game and those who play it.

We have a team that has some flaws, most do. We have have a coach who is stubborn and has some flaws, most are.
I get frustrated with this team and coach like everyone else, but who here would have said on October 15th that 17-5 and a top 15 or 17 or whatever ranking on Feb. 4 would suck? Anybody who wants a stress free basketball season is not paying attention to what goes on in college hoops.

No, they didn't physically dominate the Gophers. It was even in rebounds, they had 1 more steal, we had 5 more blocked shots. Sort of even. But in your scenario, you dislike Tubby, so play up the lucky win over a team that had no business being in the game with us, but are scrappy white guys who are coached so much better. Iowa is inconsistent, but they have beaten Wisconsin, lost to Michigan by 3, and lost to Indiana by 4. We've lost a couple of games where the Gophers didn't make plays at the end. Yesterday, they did. We're also lucky that they shot free throws worse than us, but that's sort of how basketball games are. Wish some folks would enjoy the fact Austin made the big shot, Andre hit two clutch free throws, Austin got the strip, and we guarded the last desperation shot without fouling. Instead we have silly assertions like one shot by Austin saved Tubby's job. Not an original thought, but see how things play out for the whole year. No injuries or drama, and we can judge where the program is a hell of a lot better.

I based the physical domination assessment on the fact that they shut Mbakwe and Williams down. The rebounding was misleading because they took and missed a lot of threes which led to long rebounds. The rest of your post pretty much proves my point except for the reference to the color of the players' skin.

I like Tubby just fine as a person. I think that he has under achieved as a coach here and I wish that he would stop blaming everyone but himself publicly when things go wrong. That damages his relationships with his current players and hurts recruiting. I think that the U was was crazy to extend him, but that's not Tubby's fault.

IMO, if there had been a little more success in the past five years(say a couple NCAA tournament wins and 1 or 2 top four finishes in the Big Ten), there would be far less criticism of Tubby and the state of the program presently.

Agreed.

I based the physical domination assessment on the fact that they shut Mbakwe and Williams down.

????

Rodney Williams had more rebounds than any player on the floor for either team. He added ten points on 5-of-9 shooting from 2pt FG range and blocked two shots. I wouldn't exactly say that is shutting him down.

We are talking about our CURRENT situation, there is no reason to dwell in the past or bring up Tubby's salary. We are in a really good position at he moment, why bitch and complain? If you are bitching and complaining you are just trying to stir the pot and troll for responses, hence you are not a true fan.

If this was Tubby's first year I would be ecstatic and would assume that the players don't understand his system - thus the dysfunctional offense. Since this is his 6th year and it has always looked like the players don't get his offensive system- then no I am going to look past the current year.

Considering that I have been a Gopher season ticket holder longer than you have been alive and considering that people actually call me to congratulate me when the Gophers win (so rabid am I as a fan) I think I qualify as a fan. Right now I am complaining about what I see on the court and I think I've earned that right- as a fan.

IMO, if there had been a little more success in the past five years(say a couple NCAA tournament wins and 1 or 2 top four finishes in the Big Ten), there would be far less criticism of Tubby and the state of the program presently.

I agree that many people feel that way. However, I don't agree with it. What happened last year or in previous years has little, if anything to do with what's going on this year in my opinion.

The past few years, everyone has been complaining (me included) that we haven't played very well and haven't lived up to the expectations. This year we're ranked, above .500 in the BT, 17 overall wins and have just one bad loss. Yet some people just want to constantly complain still. Is this team perfect? Far from it. Is Tubby and his schemes sometimes very frustrating? Absolutely. But man, sometimes we just have to enjoy this. Believe it or not, this could be one of the best seasons in the past 20 years. There's still a solid chance we could get a #5 or higher seed in the tourney. You know how many times that's happened in Gopher history? One time! Doesn't mean you can't complain about certain things or anything. Some people act like the glass is more empty than full where I think it's the other way around.

I know, I know, someone's going to respond with "we should expect more" and "This is why we aren't very good. We don't demand more than being mediocre." I don't think anyone should be fully satisfied unless you win the National Championship, but that doesn't mean (IMO) that you shouldn't enjoy the successes of the season. Especially since us Gopher fans don't get to experience potentially good/great seasons very often.

If this was Tubby's first year I would be ecstatic and would assume that the players don't understand his system - thus the dysfunctional offense. Since this is his 6th year and it has always looked like the players don't get his offensive system- then no I am going to look past the current year.

Considering that I have been a Gopher season ticket holder longer than you have been alive and considering that people actually call me to congratulate me when the Gophers win (so rabid am I as a fan) I think I qualify as a fan. Right now I am complaining about what I see on the court and I think I've earned that right- as a fan.

Wow...good for you!

We are ranked eighth in RPI. Eighth. With a group of three and four star recruits. There are many times when I get frustrated by the lack off a half-court offense, upset by whole-line substitutions, angry when we go into zone when the other team is dropping threes at will - but I recognize that this team would not be where it is in RPI without decent coaching. To think otherwise is absurd.

And if you look at my avatar you'll notice I'm somewhat of a "rabid" fan as well, as is anyone who spends time here on GH. Starting a "I'm a bigger fan than you are" thread is a waste of everyone's time.

Has anyone shared the opinion that Iowa is a pretty good team and played well yesterday? Or is it all about what's wrong with the Gophers? It takes two to tango.

Has anyone shared the opinion that Iowa is a pretty good team and played well yesterday? Or is it all about what's wrong with the Gophers? It takes two to tango.

No.

Actually, yes it has been mentioned a few times on the board, and you are absolutely correct. Iowa is a much better team than a lot of people are giving them credit for being. Not sure they played as well as they have in some other games, but they have some horses but are just inexperienced.

My calling card will now be that the Gophers have equalled their February win total from last year.

I agree that many people feel that way. However, I don't agree with it. What happened last year or in previous years has little, if anything to do with what's going on this year in my opinion.

The past few years, everyone has been complaining (me included) that we haven't played very well and haven't lived up to the expectations. This year we're ranked, above .500 in the BT, 17 overall wins and have just one bad loss. Yet some people just want to constantly complain still. Is this team perfect? Far from it. Is Tubby and his schemes sometimes very frustrating? Absolutely. But man, sometimes we just have to enjoy this. Believe it or not, this could be one of the best seasons in the past 20 years. There's still a solid chance we could get a #5 or higher seed in the tourney. You know how many times that's happened in Gopher history? One time! Doesn't mean you can't complain about certain things or anything. Some people act like the glass is more empty than full where I think it's the other way around.

I know, I know, someone's going to respond with "we should expect more" and "This is why we aren't very good. We don't demand more than being mediocre." I don't think anyone should be fully satisfied unless you win the National Championship, but that doesn't mean (IMO) that you shouldn't enjoy the successes of the season. Especially since us Gopher fans don't get to experience potentially good/great seasons very often.

Well said.

Some of you people are retards

Well said.

The complaints about offense are just silly. Go back and watch the
Game again. Lots and lots of plays that yeilded wide open shots
That just didn't go down. It was tough to get the ball
Inside as well and I would say the gophers aren't great at
Making difficult passes.

That being said they are the leading rebounding shot blocking
Team in the conference. They shoot the 3 good as well. This
Team can play with anyone in the country and they haven't
Peaked yet so sit back and enjoy the ride whiners!!!

Tubby should thank a guy he recruited to come to Minnesota for saving his job?

I was thinking the same thing. Tubby should not thank Austin, Tubby should be glad that he recruited Austin, coached Austin, and put Austin in the game and called that play.

Tubby deserves the blame for who he recruits, how he coaches them, and what decisions he makes in games when stuff doesn't go well, and he sure as heck deserves the credit when it does.

Tubby should also thank Austin for responding to his coaching or something.

Actually, yes it has been mentioned a few times on the board, and you are absolutely correct. Iowa is a much better team than a lot of people are giving them credit for being. Not sure they played as well as they have in some other games, but they have some horses but are just inexperienced.

My calling card will now be that the Gophers have equalled their February win total from last year.

Iowa is a decent team - certainly a top 50 team IMO, and maybe even top 40.

That said, my complaint from the game is what we've seen before, like at Northwestern. The team gets out to a nice little lead and thinks they can dial back the effort and just coast. It's the classic tortoise and the hare situation. The floor motion, passing and general effort went down a notch or two after they built that early lead, allowing Iowa to grab some momentum and confidence. And once you've lost that mental edge, it's hard to get it back. Really good teams don't have any coast in them. The Gophs coasted against Nebraska, too, but the Huskers were unable to make them pay.

Iowa is a decent team - certainly a top 50 team IMO, and maybe even top 40.

That said, my complaint from the game is what we've seen before, like at Northwestern. The team gets out to a nice little lead and thinks they can dial back the effort and just coast. It's the classic tortoise and the hare situation. The floor motion, passing and general effort went down a notch or two after they built that early lead, allowing Iowa to grab some momentum and confidence. And once you've lost that mental edge, it's hard to get it back. Really good teams don't have any coast in them. The Gophs coasted against Nebraska, too, but the Huskers were unable to make them pay.

Not positive, but it also coincided with Austin coming out of the game at that point when he was really leading us to that lead. As much as I support Tubby, his substituting frustrates me. He didn't use the hockey pattern in this game, but it seems to me he often takes a player off the court who is playing well. Of course, without that rest would Austin have made those big plays at the end?

This...

We have a team that has some flaws, most do. We have have a coach who is stubborn and has some flaws, most are.
I get frustrated with this team and coach like everyone else, but who here would have said on October 15th that 17-5 and a top 15 or 17 or whatever ranking on Feb. 4 would suck? Anybody who wants a stress free basketball season is not paying attention to what goes on in college hoops.

+10000

My buddy told me as he was leaving the Barn after the Iowa game he actually overheard an older fan say to his wife in a disgusted voice - "I'm getting sick and tired of paying to watch games like that."

My friend and I discussed this and thought, that is incredible. Sure, that game was ugly at times. But, for cripes sake, we hit a near buzzer beater to win the game, the place goes nuts, we make a great defensive game to preserve the victory, we have a Top 25 team, and this guy thinks is sick of paying for games like that?? Huh?

Iowa is making slow and steady progress from where they were in December or January....But they are not going to be an NCAA tourney team because Marble has regressed and their 3 Freshmen aren't quite ready to step up yet. They have a chance to be very solid next year. But for now, they are a very mediocre team and we should have run them off the court and won by 15 to 25. The fact that we didn't is direct reflection on Tubby's inability to coach a team that improves during the season. I don't know about his Kentucky teams, but his teams with the Gophers have ALWAYS stagnated or flat our regressed. The Iowa game was more or less a reflection of us and Iowa going in opposite directions, only Austin Hollins stepped up and put off the losing for at least one more game.

+10000

My buddy told me as he was leaving the Barn after the Iowa game he actually overheard an older fan say to his wife in a disgusted voice - "I'm getting sick and tired of paying to watch games like that."

My friend and I discussed this and thought, that is incredible. Sure, that game was ugly at times. But, for cripes sake, we hit a near buzzer beater to win the game, the place goes nuts, we make a great defensive game to preserve the victory, we have a Top 25 team, and this guy thinks is sick of paying for games like that?? Huh?

Exactly. Enjoy the ride, it's just a game. I've just come to accept some people aren't wired like us, and the enjoyment they get out of the games is critiquing and evaluating. It drives me crazy, but it is what it is.

What's wrong with the Gophers?

+10000

Sal does hit it right on the head. We all wish every season was nice & tidy with nothing but well-played games and convincing victories for our team, but that's not the way a season works, not even for the likes of the Dukes, Kansas', Kentuckys, North Carolinas, and Michigan States of the world. Ebbs and flows. Why are folks so aghast at the ebbs and flows of a long season?

Am like everyone else, frustrated as h*ll the Gophers aren't playing up to snuff right now, but that's just all part of the journey. It wouldn't be college basketball season if I didn't have something to fuss about throughout the course of a season. With the emphasis on fuss, not panic or go into meltdown mode.

TJ, your story is similar to a friend of mine who called me after the Iowa game and asked, "What's wrong with the Gophers?" I told him what's wrong is the Gophers just played a so-so game vs. a pretty decent opponent, were down 4 with 2 minutes left to play, and still found a way to win the game. Then I reminded him that the Gophers are 17-5 having played a reprsentative schedule (Tubby's had some stinker nonconference schedules, but this one's turning out solid), and are currently above .500 in what is considered the best conference in the country. I didn't even mention that the Gophers were ranked in the top 25, or that they were in top 10 of the RPI. ... like that's a regular occurrence around here.

Could or should the Gophers be better than 5-4 at this point? Absolutely, but it's not exactly "sky is falling" material. They also could have been worse than 12-1 prior to the B1G season.

Iowa is making slow and steady progress from where they were in December or January....But they are not going to be an NCAA tourney team because Marble has regressed and their 3 Freshmen aren't quite ready to step up yet. They have a chance to be very solid next year. But for now, they are a very mediocre team and we should have run them off the court and won by 15 to 25. The fact that we didn't is direct reflection on Tubby's inability to coach a team that improves during the season. I don't know about his Kentucky teams, but his teams with the Gophers have ALWAYS stagnated or flat our regressed. The Iowa game was more or less a reflection of us and Iowa going in opposite directions, only Austin Hollins stepped up and put off the losing for at least one more game.

The point is that they're not a gimme, that you can't just roll the ball out there and expect to win. Nobody's disputing that the Gophs could have played better.

Not positive, but it also coincided with Austin coming out of the game at that point when he was really leading us to that lead. As much as I support Tubby, his substituting frustrates me. He didn't use the hockey pattern in this game, but it seems to me he often takes a player off the court who is playing well. Of course, without that rest would Austin have made those big plays at the end?

Excellent observation! Austin had 10 points early when he was taken out, and he never got back on that roll once he returned - until his heroics, of course.

I don't recall UK's teams regressing when he was the coach there and I watched pretty much every game he coached for 10 years. The previous 2 gopher seasons have had injuries and they went to the ncaa tournament the 2 previous years before that. I'd say they are going to be there this year as well. I see progression in the current team but I know they haven't peaked yet.

we should have run them off the court and won by 15 to 25. The fact that we didn't is direct reflection on Tubby's inability to coach

How does it reflect on Bo Ryan? He's lost to that Iowa team three times in a row, including earlier this year in a game that Bucky trailed 30-10 in the first half.

The Iowa game was more or less a reflection of us and Iowa going in opposite directions.

Yes, that is one thing you have right. Minnesota has won two straight. Iowa has lost 3 of its last 4.

Top Bottom