Troy stoudermire appears to be leaving

If you want to be a QB, and the coach says you're a WR, you're a WR. It's a team sport after all.

Try to be a little more open-minded. I love the Gophers very much, but I also realize that each of these young men needs to do what's best for him. I agree with the poster - if I were Gray, I would've left the program a long time ago. The staff clearly believes Gray should be a WR. Brewster has tried to manipulate Gray to convert by exclaiming to the world that Gray will be a top 10 draft pick as a WR. GRAY WANTS TO BE A QB. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION. He doesn't care what others think. Let the boy be the architect of his own life. Brewster shouldn't try to modify his dreams. He was sold on the "U" by the ultimate salesman that he would be their star spread QB. Look at what's transpired since. I feel terribly bad for him. He should be starting this year. Weber had three full years as the starter - Gray is equally entitled to three full years. Brewster has done him a disservice and if someone has integrity, he or she would easily see that and admit it.

Sorry, but this is one of the worst posts I've seen in a long time. Are you Gray? How do you know what he wants?

Gray is probably smart enough to know that Weber is going to be the QB for the season so the only way he really gets on the field is to play WR. Why would he be mad at that? He'll get a chance to be the starting QB next year while getting a chance to show off his WR skills this year. Getting experience on the field instead of on the sideline has to be a good thing going into next season.

Ha, is he LeBron, I'm taking my talents to South Beach...

Sorry, but this is one of the worst posts I've seen in a long time. Are you Gray? How do you know what he wants?

Gray is probably smart enough to know that Weber is going to be the QB for the season so the only way he really gets on the field is to play WR. Why would he be mad at that? He'll get a chance to be the starting QB next year while getting a chance to show off his WR skills this year. Getting experience on the field instead of on the sideline has to be a good thing going into next season.

I know what Gray wants because I've read quotes from him in the past saying this very thing. In fact, in today's article summarizing an interview with Gray the author states that "in Gray's mind he's still a quarterback". He also stated in the article he told his parents he was upset with how few reps he was getting at quarterback last year. And look at this quote from today's article: "If it didn't work out for me to play quarterback in the NFL and they wanted me to be a receiver," Gray said, "then, of course, I would do it." I'm not the type to just make up crap. I read and follow this stuff somewhat closely cause it's interesting to me. I feel Gray has been clear all along what he wants.

Now, I don't disagree with anything the other posters have said in response to my post. I wholeheartedly agree this is good experience for Gray, especially if he would otherwise sit on the sideline. I agree it may make him a better q.b. to at least be on the field, especially at WR. It will probably help him in the long run. I agree he might have a better chance in the NFL as a receiver. I agree with all this. And I never, ever said the players should run the team or make the decisions like one poster suggested I said. What I said, and I stick by this, is that 1). He was persuaded to come to the "U" because Brewster told him he would run the spread. Brewster was very clear with the public, early on, that he was able to sell Minnesota better and get certain kids here he otherwise might not have gotten because he represented that he would play the very "exciting and dynamic" (Brewster's words not mine) spread offense. 2.) that Brewster turned the tables (not with bad intentions of course) on Gray; 3.) that if I were Gray, and my goal was to run a spread offense, I probably would've left Minnesota too (remember this post originally dealt with Stoudemire leaving. And NO, I'm not suggesting the two are in the same situation!!). In fact, the article (if you read it) intimates that transferring schools had at least entered his mind, and finally, 4.) i stated my feeling that Gray ought to get three years at the helm just as Weber did (which I realize is somewhat arbitrary and controversial but strikes me as being in the best longer term interests of the program even if it's not in Brewster's best interest for 2010 with his job on the line).

Many of you posters are truly out-of-control. You don't try to understand what the writer is saying. Instead you invent crap in your mind, lash out, and accuse people of saying things they didn't even come close to saying. You're like wild animals with a keyboard.

In conclusion, read this excerpt from the article and see if you can agree that the expectations that were created for Gray coming to the "U" changed. I give the kid credit for staying and for taking the approach that things will work out for the best and that things happen for a reason. I just feel like Brewster misrepresented to Gray what would happen if he came to the "U" and that Gray would be more than justified to leave the program. Just my opinion. Why does that make this "the worst post you've seen in a long time"? GophersinIowa. You must just be an idiot with a reading comprehension problem.

The ability to make plays out of the pocket and be a running and passing threat is what Gray expected to showcase in the wide-open spread offense that Minnesota ran in Brewster's first two seasons.

But the offense right now is best suited for a quarterback like Weber. So what happens next year, when Gray is likely to take over?

Michigan's Denard Robinson is one of the most exciting players in college football this year. The Wolverines use his dual-threat ability at quarterback to the fullest in the spread formation.

Brewster called Gray a "6-foot-5 version of Denard Robinson," but the Gophers aren't likely to change their entire offense back to the spread just to fit Gray.

"I want to run the football," Brewster said. "But you see what we're doing now with the passing game. There's spread concepts in our passing game. We spread the field and throw the ball."

Last year, Stoudamire and McKnight we're talking about transfering as well, complaining that too many passes we're being thrown to Decker:eek:

The ability to make plays out of the pocket and be a running and passing threat is what Gray expected to showcase in the wide-open spread offense that Minnesota ran in Brewster's first two seasons.

But the offense right now is best suited for a quarterback like Weber. So what happens next year, when Gray is likely to take over?

Michigan's Denard Robinson is one of the most exciting players in college football this year. The Wolverines use his dual-threat ability at quarterback to the fullest in the spread formation.

Brewster called Gray a "6-foot-5 version of Denard Robinson," but the Gophers aren't likely to change their entire offense back to the spread just to fit Gray.

"I want to run the football," Brewster said. "But you see what we're doing now with the passing game. There's spread concepts in our passing game. We spread the field and throw the ball."

To be fair, you should have included the following line from Fuller's article:

Former Gophers quarterback Rickey Foggie said Brewster should emulate what Ohio State has done with its mobile quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who struggled at first in a one-dimensional offense. The Buckeyes still aren't a spread team, but they've adapted to a special player.

If you want to be a QB, and the coach says you're a WR, you're a WR. It's a team sport after all.

I agree. And that's the moment I transfer. Not because I'm not a team player; but because I want to be a spread quarterback. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

I know Gray has had a "sponsor" family. Saw them all on vacation together, with Gray himself, a few years ago in Florida. Turns out the head of the sponsor family is none other than a former Gopher football player. Imagine that. All I hope is that all these so-called friends of Gray haven't persuaded him to stay "for the good of the team". All that matters is what Gray's dreams are and whether he is being given the chance to achieve them. NOTE: I didn't say he's not en route to achieving them; I truly hope that in fact he is; I wouldn't know without speaking with him. All I'm saying is I hope he is not being advised and pressured by a group of people more concerned about their own best interests than in Marquise Gray's best interest. As this Message Board so clearly shows, there are a lot of high testosterone, alpha male, grown men out there who have such big egos and such a need to always be right and get their way that they could care less about the best interests of another person, let alone a 20 or 21 year old kid.

To be fair, you should have included the following line from Fuller's article:

Former Gophers quarterback Rickey Foggie said Brewster should emulate what Ohio State has done with its mobile quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who struggled at first in a one-dimensional offense. The Buckeyes still aren't a spread team, but they've adapted to a special player.

good point.

I agree. And that's the moment I transfer. Not because I'm not a team player; but because I want to be a spread quarterback. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

I know Gray has had a "sponsor" family. Saw them all on vacation together, with Gray himself, a few years ago in Florida. Turns out the head of the sponsor family is none other than a former Gopher football player. Imagine that. All I hope is that all these so-called friends of Gray haven't persuaded him to stay "for the good of the team". All that matters is what Gray's dreams are and whether he is being given the chance to achieve them. NOTE: I didn't say he's not en route to achieving them; I truly hope that in fact he is; I wouldn't know without speaking with him. All I'm saying is I hope he is not being advised and pressured by a group of people more concerned about their own best interests than in Marquise Gray's best interest. As this Message Board so clearly shows, there are a lot of high testosterone, alpha male, grown men out there who have such big egos and such a need to always be right and get their way that they could care less about the best interests of another person, let alone a 20 or 21 year old kid.

Blah, blah, blah. For a guy that thinks he knows better than anybody else what is best for the kid, even those close to him, you should at least know his name - it's "MarQueis".

Back to Troy. Is it just me, or did Troy seem just a little too animated when the coach got in his grill after the interference call against him on the punt return. Good or bad call? Close and leave it at that, but I thought Troy was barking a bit too much when taking his medicine.

This is FOOTBALL. Not basketball.

You play for the TEAM. Not yourself. If you, Troy, or Gray don't understand this.. Then the rest of us that do can't help that.

Top Bottom