Triplett Cut by Vikes

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Maybe he lands on the practice squad. I never thought he was an NFL player, but maybe someone else signs him. Vikes can't be happy cutting a 5th rounder, usually those guys stick around for at least a couple of years...

Good luck to Nate!

Payne, Sherels and Lloyd cut too, not a good day to be a Gopher Alum on the Vikings squad!

Yeah, my Motor City Kitties cut Lee Campbell earlier this week too. Any update on Simoni?

Yeah, my Motor City Kitties cut Lee Campbell earlier this week too. Any update on Simoni?

I believe Simoni was cut earlier in the week by the Eagles. He just signed with the Hartford team in the UFL. By the way, Tramaine Brock made the final 53 man roster of the 49ers.

BPT and Simoni cut too

Not good news, hope these guys can make it another time or for another team.

BPT
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/04/2200265/cb-vasher-wr-reed-among-chargers.html

Simoni
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/28/eagles-make-their-first-wave-of-roster-cuts/

Just read about Brock - thanks for sharing good news, koppco! This is an excerpt:

Cornerback Tramaine Brock sealed the 49ers' 4-0 record in the preseason by intercepting a fourth-down pass from Jonathan Crompton with 38 seconds left.
from this: http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_15980186?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1

I love Triplett but the second they drafted him I was lik wtf....he's a great linebacker but just too slow. He ran lik a 4.7....not gonna cut it.

4.7 is fast enough at LB, especially if you weigh in at 250 like Triplett did. He needed to stand out on special teams to make the Vikings and they already have Farwell and Onatolu as LB's who are core special teamers.

Add Garrett Brown and Tow-Arnett as guys who were cut today by the Chiefs and Seahawks respectively.

I think these guys can make a PS or a team, the Vikings are just too deep at almost every position for them to get a chance with the squad.

Slow your roll.......Marcus and maybe Nate will be on the Viking squad. Even money saids Marcus will play next Thursday.

Sounds like Vikings are going to resign Sherels for sure

Pretty good word out there that Vikings are going to re-sign Sherels to there practice squad and they may even elevate him to the active roster. This kid's a talent, he has only been playing corner for 3 years. I think he will make it to the NFL level because of his ability to play special teams and contribute on kickoff and punt teams.

after watching "b"pt last year try and tackle does it come to anyone's surprise he was cut?

4.7 is fast enough at LB, especially if you weigh in at 250 like Triplett did. He needed to stand out on special teams to make the Vikings and they already have Farwell and Onatolu as LB's who are core special teamers.

It can be fast enough with some other upside and a need but I guess they didn't see that in him. If he was really that good he would have beat out the other guys. You shouldn't be cutting 5th round picks. It was a waste.

btw this is what Pre-Draft analysis said were his negatives: Not great at any one thing; not ultra-strong, an elite athlete or speedster. A bit stiff in the hips; NFL tight ends and backs will run by him and out-quick him in space if matched up one-on-one. Needs to work on maintaining knee bend when dropping or else he'll lose targets in coverage.

Does anyone know why he didnt sign with the practice squad? He might not be able to contribute at linebacker for a few years, but im sure he could be some teams Heath Farewell. Maybe he's getting interest from some other team? I dont know how the whole waiver thing works?

Otis Hudson made the Bengals practice squad.

Triplett is not too slow to play LB in the NFL.

He played well in space because he was able to cover a lot of ground.

The minus was that he did not have a terrific feel for the game. And you have to be pretty freakishly good to play that position in the NFL.

Triplett wasn't signed by a practice squad because he is simply not a valuable commodity. He isn't really fast enough to be great on coverage teams and he isn't good enough to not excel on special teams. If you look at the backup quality LBs they are all probably better than him on defense and certainly better than him on ST. I wish I would have been wrong about Nate, but he doesn't strike me as someone who will ever play in the NFL.

I thought at the time the Vikes drafted Triplett...

...that they did so based on his stellar special teams play at the U, especially as a junior. The Vikings place a premium on special teams ability in choosing their backups, and they must have thought Triplett had a chance to be a killer kick coverage guy. When he proved merely average, his career promptly ended.

One of the few wasted Vikings picks in the Spielman-Childress era.

You're obviously giving Childress a pass on T-jack

uagain;253682 One of the few wasted Vikings picks in the Spielman-Childress era.[/QUOTE said:
Or was Jackson picked before Spielman came on board?

I heard Triplett just absolutely lit someone up on special teams in the final preseason game. I didn't watch the game though. I saw him in other games. He didn't ever stand out but never made mistakes either. I would've given him a shot on the practice squad. Remember it took him until his senior year to finally become a great linebacker at the college ranks. It just didnt click for him til the last year. Maybe a lack of confidence? IDK... But someone is bound to give him a shot

Or was Jackson picked before Spielman came on board?

I don't think TJack will ever be anything to write home about as an NFL caliber QB, but he wasn't a waste of a pick.

Tarvaris has done considerably more in his career than Kellen Clemens and Brodie Croyle (QB's picked around TJack). He even lead us to the playoffs in 2008, and actually finished the year pretty well. Again, i'm not saying that I like TJack, but if you looked at TJack's career so far and valued it compared to where he was picked, it would never be considered a waste of a pick.

Slow your roll.......Marcus and maybe Nate will be on the Viking squad. Even money saids Marcus will play next Thursday.

Hearing this news from a source like you is great news! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, TJack (and Ryan Cook)...

...were picked before Spielman, by that one-year wonder...what's his name...Fran somebody.

Top Bottom