Trib Article

My memory could be failing me, but didn't Setterstrom and Eslinger both start on the offensive line as true freshmen?

They did but that was in a desire to make the O line more mobile. That does not seem to be as high a priority today. Mind you it was not desired as much as needed.

My memory could be failing me, but didn't Setterstrom and Eslinger both start on the offensive line as true freshmen?

I don't exactly remember the depth chart then in regards to Setterstrom, but I know that with Eslinger, they Gophers were coming off of two consecutive years of losing the previous year's starter (Hamilton in 2000 & Akinwale in 2001) so a job was open & playing time was to be had. A bit different situation this year, in terms of experience. If someone was able to fill in at C, imagine Eslinger in 2006 with that extra year. Glen Mason may still have a job.

Point taken though....it takes a special player to make that jump freshman year. When in doubt & the luxury exists, redshirting linemen is the smart play.

See c'mon? Was this so hard? You could have found an example to back up your thought process ON THE GOPHERS if you bothered to try.

I'm not saying he should be starting. I just find it hard to believe that he's not even in the mix to get any playing time on one of the worst O-lines in the B10.

Just because a guy redshirts, doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to play some that year. I'm sure he would play a little bit, but is that worth wasting an entire year of eligibility?

Just because a guy redshirts, doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to play some that year. I'm sure he would play a little bit, but is that worth wasting an entire year of eligibility?[/QUOTE]

No and neither does Art!:clap::clap:

"Art Vandelay
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, but if he is as good as people pimped him to be (some said better than Seantrel Henderson), then he should be able to at least contribute SOMETHING to a team predicted to finish dead last by just about every media outlet.

I guess redshirting him and preserving a year of eligibility is a good idea if he's not ready and minimal plauying time this year would be a waste. "

Top Bottom