Trey Lance: 'I would've thought that I was going to play quarterback at the University of Minnesota'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

It's not a secret that the Gophers are among every other Division I FBS football program that failed to recruit Trey Lance as a quarterback, but now there is public confirmation that Lance wanted to stay home in Minnesota and play for the Gophers.

However, Lance wanted to play quarterback, not safety or wide receiver. Minnesota's coaching staff, led now and at the time by head coach P.J. Fleck, didn't recruit him as a quarterback, ultimately crushing the Marshall native's dreams of wearing Maroon & Gold.

"Shoot, if you would've asked my junior year, I would've thought that I was going to play quarterback at the University of Minnesota," Lance said in a feature segment on ESPN. Lance said most Power 5 schools recruited him as a receiver, outside linebacker and safety.

Go Gophers!!

tenor.gif

I think it was PFF I saw that had his arm rated as the best in the draft. Just a cannon. I am kind of surprised that didn't come through in camps and then regardless of his high school offense, he would have been more of a high level QB commodity. Maybe that arm strength developed a little later?

Interesting. I'm pretty sure that Kill or Claeys would have brought him in as a QB... prototypical QB for their offense...averaged just under 20 pass attempts and about 10 rushes per game as a QB.
But would he have developed like he did?

I saw him play HS basketball - he definitely got a lot bigger and stronger at college. I think he grew at least an inch and put on a solid 20+ pounds of muscle.

Might be the difference in doing sport-specific weight room work as opposed to being a multi-sport athlete. when it's FB 24/7, you can do different weight work and bulk up more - as opposed to keeping a little leaner when you're playing hoops.

per Joe:

It's not a secret that the Gophers are among every other Division I FBS football program that failed to recruit Trey Lance as a quarterback, but now there is public confirmation that Lance wanted to stay home in Minnesota and play for the Gophers.

However, Lance wanted to play quarterback, not safety or wide receiver. Minnesota's coaching staff, led now and at the time by head coach P.J. Fleck, didn't recruit him as a quarterback, ultimately crushing the Marshall native's dreams of wearing Maroon & Gold.

"Shoot, if you would've asked my junior year, I would've thought that I was going to play quarterback at the University of Minnesota," Lance said in a feature segment on ESPN. Lance said most Power 5 schools recruited him as a receiver, outside linebacker and safety.

Go Gophers!!
He looks good. Much better than Wentz.

It's Super Easy, Barely an inconvenience (sorry been watching a lot of screen rant pitch meetings lately)....to look back and say the Gophers messed up in not recruiting Lance.

Don't remember the specifics of his recruitment but I don't recall anyone viewing it as a miss that he didn't come here. Seems like a perfect example of a late bloomer. Whoever drafts him will be taking a lot of risk because the NFL is a massive step up from FCS football. Hopefully it works out for him though, would be great to see a Minnesota kid tear it up in the NFL.

So far it appears that Wentz was a mere flash in a pan for Philadelphia.
I really haven't watched Philidelpha that much but the few times I did and went to the Vikings and Philadelphia game ... that team did NOT help him much the time I was watching. Hate to really mention 'effort' because who knows but man much of his team seemed to be going through the motions ...

After 3 QBs in a row drafted, that’s all you got grump old man?
I don't think Zeb is going to be drafted, however.

Thoughts on Miller vs Patterson? I assume QP had to sit out this spring after playing for VT in the fall? Regardless, the job will obviously be open going into fall camp.

MN has a decent QB right now.
Why the bitching about the one that got away?
Agreed.

Every other team but the team he went to let him get away too.

And that applies to many of the guys who we do get.

MN has a decent QB right now.
Why the bitching about the one that got away?
I don't think really anyone is bitching, but in hindsight was an obvious miss by PJ, but it'll happen

NDSU will get guys that MN missed, but if our focus is outrecruiting NDSU, we'll be a terrible B1G team

I know many NDSU fans, including @Herd feel if NDSU joined the B1GW they'd be immediate challengers to Wisconsin right off the bat, it's a why NDSU still comes up here. Most of us know NDSU fans that think they'd waltz right into B1G and dominate

I don't think really anyone is bitching, but in hindsight was an obvious miss by PJ, but it'll happen

NDSU will get guys that MN missed, but if our focus is outrecruiting NDSU, we'll be a terrible B1G team

I know many NDSU fans, including @Herd feel if NDSU joined the B1GW they'd be immediate challengers to Wisconsin right off the bat, it's a why NDSU still comes up here. Most of us know NDSU fans that think they'd waltz right into B1G and dominate
I'm not sure hindsight and 'obvious' really goes together here.

Did everyone know this guy was going to be good?

I'm not sure hindsight and 'obvious' really goes together here.

Did everyone know this guy was going to be good?
sure, if you just want to say in hindsight it was a mistake I can live with that

If we had Trevor Lawrence in 2019 ... I'm still not sure we make it to the Big Ten championship game, and then let alone if we beat Ohio State.

Would be an amazing dream come true. But I don't even think that one piece alone does it.

I am not a big NDSU fan but definitely enjoy watching them if I can. This spring their team seems like a shell of what they've been, but if you ask yourself, what in the last ten years has shown that they can't compete in the big ten? Anything we come up with will be our opinion... depth, getting worn down, etc. The bottom line is they are putting guys in the NFL at a much faster rate than the U of M has. We can all go back and fourth on Wentz and if he hasn't gotten help or he just sucks... either way, I wish we could talk about weather a Gopher (yet alone a QB) was drafted #2 overall and if he lived up to the hype or not.

Another discussion with one of my Crabby Old Acquaintances that hates Fleck and his yellow shoes, "sayings" (which I have come to understand means PJ's slogans, acronyms, etc.), and running up and down the sidelines.

COA: Your boy F'd up by not getting Lance what's his name here to play QB. He would have been way better than Leidner.
ME: Huh?...Leidner graduated years ago.
COA: Whoever that next QB was he would have been better than him.
ME: Which one?
COA: I can't think of his name right now.
ME: Taylor Morgan? (okay, now I'm messing with him...Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.34.41 AM.png)
COA: Ya. Him.

This is what I get to deal with sometimes.

Another discussion with one of my Crabby Old Acquaintances that hates Fleck and his yellow shoes, "sayings" (which I have come to understand means PJ's slogans, acronyms, etc.), and running up and down the sidelines.

COA: Your boy F'd up by not getting Lance what's his name here to play QB. He would have been way better than Leidner.
ME: Huh?...Leidner graduated years ago.
COA: Whoever that next QB was he would have been better than him.
ME: Which one?
COA: I can't think of his name right now.
ME: Taylor Morgan? (okay, now I'm messing with him...View attachment 12599)
COA: Ya. Him.

This is what I get to deal with sometimes.
Reminds me of the old phrase that used to get used 'only at the U!' (i haven't heard that one for a while) by haters to describe things that ... happen at a lot of places, they're just not paying attention.

Top Bottom