Trevor

gopheraschells

Reaction score
I hope Trevor gets a standing ovation tomorrow when he is introduced for all the sensationalistic crap the media has put him through

LOL! Yeah, a standing ovation for a guy who harrassed a woman enough to warrant a restraining order and then was stupid enough to attempt to contact her in violation of said restraining order. :cool02:

How about a standing O for the players on the team that don't get into trouble, go to class, and you know.....do what they're supposed to do.....

Yeah Im not for the standing ovation but this whole situation has gotten way overblown and I hope it just motivates Mbakwe and he has his first 20/20 game !!! Beat Purdue.

This guy keeps making idiotic mistakes. I will cheer for the Gophers as a whole, but not this individual.

I'm betting at least some of the crowd will be standing.

I predict he will get a huge ovation when he enters the game.

I hope he doesn't, but I expect he will.

While what he did was illegal, it's not like it was morally wrong. I realize some of the stuff he did in the past was wrong, but he was just wishing his ex-girlfriend a happy new year, apologizing for past actions, and probably trying to relieve some tension between the two of them.

I liked the way Tubby put it, "well intentioned, but misguided." Was what he did illegal? Yes. Was it morally wrong? No, which is likely why he wasn't suspended.

While what he did was illegal, it's not like it was morally wrong. I realize some of the stuff he did in the past was wrong, but he was just wishing his ex-girlfriend a happy new year, apologizing for past actions, and probably trying to relieve some tension between the two of them.

I liked the way Tubby put it, "well intentioned, but misguided." Was what he did illegal? Yes. Was it morally wrong? No, which is likely why he wasn't suspended.

I would guess you could say most misdemeanors are not "morally wrong" though.

OT Question: If Trevor had threatened her in a Facebook message would it be more than a misdemeanor due to the content? Or is it simply that sending a Facebook message to break the no contact is a misdemeanor? Just out of curiosity.

Of course the content of the message makes a difference.TM had an emotional relationship with this girl that no one on this messageboard understands because they weren't in it. It sounds like this relationship had a lot of drama in it both ways. People are making assumptions about what happened and they have no clue as to the dynamics of relationship. Did Mbakwe make a mistake by trying to contact her? Yeah sure, he is a college kid who is human and might not always make the best judgements. But his intentions for sending the message were not to harass her, but to wish her well. It will floor me if any more money or time are spent on this incident...MOVE ON!!!

Art give me a break, the kid made a mistake, but if you look at what really has happened in the past week, his punishment has gone WAY beyond what he has deserved. I understand what he did, but good grief, cut him some slack and let's look at intent and use a little common sense!!! Did you even read the message he sent her on facebook? You have very little or no idea what lead up to the "no contact order" except for your personal and biased assumptions. Some of the comments on here are just full of hate for a person you really don't even know.

Art id the year winner of the Moron Trophy. If you are at the game, I will personally present it to you. Where do you sit? :cool:

I know everyone hates Art, but I couldn't agree with him more in this case.

I'm betting at least some of the crowd will be standing.

This could lead to a whole new thread/arguement. Sit or stand for an intro of player who spent a night in jail. Hell this could even lead to multiple threads.:cool02:

I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. I don't think he deserves a standing ovation or to be thrown under the bus, I just think this whole thing should be pretty much a non-issue.

This could lead to a whole new thread/arguement. Sit or stand for an intro of player who spent a night in jail. Hell this could even lead to multiple threads.:cool02:

Not standing. Too old.

Art give me a break, the kid made a mistake, but if you look at what really has happened in the past week, his punishment has gone WAY beyond what he has deserved. I understand what he did, but good grief, cut him some slack and let's look at intent and use a little common sense!!! Did you even read the message he sent her on facebook? You have very little or no idea what lead up to the "no contact order" except for your personal and biased assumptions. Some of the comments on here are just full of hate for a person you really don't even know.

This is not his first mistake.

Cut him some slack? Why? Is it too much to ask Gopher basketball players to obey restraining orders?

How do you know the intent either? Look at his little tantrum on Twitter after the fact.

Adolf Hitler could play for the Gophers and people like you would defend him simply because he can almost average a double-double.

I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. I don't think he deserves a standing ovation or to be thrown under the bus, I just think this whole thing should be pretty much a non-issue.

This!!

If all it takes to get a standing ovation is to make bad decisions, I should have had many in my lifetime.

Trevor made a mistake, let's move on. It is he said/ she said though i have yet to see any legal documentation that he had a no contact order on her.

Cheer him when he does something on the court- not for being arrested.

Know full well that Tubby now has more at stake with Mbakwe than any other Gopher of his tenure. Any problems between now and the end of next year and Tubby will be in a bad, bad position.

Adolf Hitler could play for the Gophers and people like you would defend him simply because he can almost average a double-double.

And, Jesus Christ could play for the Gophers and you'd bitch that he only fed 5,000 people with a couple of fish. If he could feed 5,000, why not 10,000?

It depends on your morals. There are people that would say that in addition to being a criminal act, (1) it was insanely morally wrong and (2) that your categorization of what took place is drastically far from reality.

Wish people could drop this. Some of the nonsense is perturbing. (not just talking about the OP)
Those who needed to make a decision regarding his future with Minnesota have done so, let's get back to basketball.

This is one of the dumbest comments I have ever read...everyone knows Hitler was terrible at rebounding.

That aside, I think Trevor has paid his price. He is dumb for what he did but he was cleared by the police so I feel like we can all move on. There is 100's upon 100's of post about this right now and its getting old. Hopefully if the Gophers beat Purdue this will go away for a while...until Trevor dives for a loose ball and lands on a woman and it hurts her

This is one of the dumbest comments I have ever read...everyone knows Hitler was terrible at rebounding.

That aside, I think Trevor has paid his price. He is dumb for what he did but he was cleared by the police so I feel like we can all move on. There is 100's upon 100's of post about this right now and its getting old. Hopefully if the Gophers beat Purdue this will go away for a while...until Trevor dives for a loose ball and lands on a woman and it hurts her

He was not cleared, charged with misdemeanor violation of a harrasment restraining order. Court date on January 20th.

I'm a criminal defense attorney. I represent dozens of people on HRO and OFP violations every year for exactly what Trevor is alleged to have done. These types of things happen all the time, and I appreciate the opportunity to help people get through them . . .

. . . and with that being said, Art is 100% correct.

Morality and intent have nothing to do with HRO and OFP violations. The contact itself is what violates the order. Not the type of contact. If a client of mine was on felony pre-trial diversion, and then was idiotic enough to pull a stunt like this, I would read them the riot act. It is unbelievably shortsighted. I have yet to see anyone fully report whether or not this new charge will be a violation of his Florida case. In most Minnesota felony diversion programs, it certainly could be.

The fan in me is glad I'll be watching him play tonight at The Barn. But in all honesty, if they sat him down for the entire game because of it, I would be fine with that. Kid needs to learn a lesson, and fast, before he really messes up his future. And that is a bigger issue than this year's basketball season.

I'm a criminal defense attorney. I represent dozens of people on HRO and OFP violations every year for exactly what Trevor is alleged to have done. These types of things happen all the time, and I appreciate the opportunity to help people get through them . . .

Morality and intent have nothing to do with HRO and OFP violations. The contact itself is what violates the order. Not the type of contact. If a client of mine was on felony pre-trial diversion, and then was idiotic enough to pull a stunt like this, I would read them the riot act. It is unbelievably shortsighted. I have yet to see anyone fully report whether or not this new charge will be a violation of his Florida case. In most Minnesota felony diversion programs, it certainly could be.

The fan in me is glad I'll be watching him play tonight at The Barn. But in all honesty, if they sat him down for the entire game because of it, I would be fine with that. Kid needs to learn a lesson, and fast, before he really messes up his future. And that is a bigger issue than this year's basketball season.

Appreciate the information!

My only two questions,

1) It seems that all Miami can really do is refile the case, is that correct? If so, how would this latest incident help their case? I assume they knew he had a restraining order against him when they charged him and I can't imagine a jury all of a sudden now thinking "guilty" because of this message.

2) What would you expect to be a likely legal consequence for only this (not what could happen in Miami)? I read somewhere a Misdemeanor carries up to a $700 fine and/or 90 Days in jail. What would be your best guess as to what happens with Trevor or in similar cases?

Thanks in advance!

Nice to hear from someone with expertise in this field.

People also need to understand that what Tubby/JM decide is a seperate issue from what the courts might do(though one could eventualy affect the other).

Nice to hear from someone with expertise in this field.

People also need to understand that what Tubby/JM decide is a seperate issue from what the courts might do(though one could eventualy affect the other).

My guess as to what will happen, is that Trevor will play until January 20th (his court date), that would mean he would play against Purdue and Iowa at home. After his court date and punishment, Maturi and Tubby will look at it again and decide.

I think if he gets no jail time (only fine, community service, counseling, etc.) he sees no further punishment from basketball.

If he gets jail time or Miami is refiled, then I think he is looking at a whole nother round of suspensions.

Just my guess as to what will/should happen based on the scenerios that could play out it.

Bob Sansevere: Gophers Trevor Mbakwe still doesn't quite get it

based on a post Tuesday on his now-suspended Twitter account, it appeared Mbakwe still had some learning to do. He came awfully close to portraying himself as a victim, writing, "I guess some (people) just want their 10 minutes of fame. I truly wonder if" and "You know who would of ran to the cops if I wasn't having the success I was having on the basketball court. (You) live (and you) learn I guess."

He is in no way a victim. He sent a Facebook message to a woman he was court-ordered not to contact. He caught a break when he wasn't suspended from the team.

Top Bottom