Trevor Barsamian

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone remembers, but last summer/fall this idiot who went by the name of "iamhuge" posted here about this can't-miss FB prospect who the Gophers should sign up forthwith.

I happened to run across this little nugget today:

http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/479333

Yes, you read that correctly. The same kid whose shill was carpet-bombing various Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, and SEC message boards - thinking he had a legitimate shot as a BCS-level prospect - signed with a DIII program. Not just a DIII program, but a bad DIII program at that. The mighty Diplomats of Franklin & Marshall College.

I thought someone else might get a laugh at the memory of this d*uche. Seriously, you can't make it up.

How could you not be impressed by his resume after looking at that page? 2nd team all-conference fullback AND honorable mention running back. MaxPreps preseason all-state watch list. The Packet's Athlete of the Week. Good night.

And a two-sport star. Stud hit a 370-foot bomb OVER a 20-foot scoreboard during the district all-star game as a 14-year-old.

I see no reason why he would need to heavily self-promote. His accomplishments speak for themselves.

I knew a kid like this back in high school...what a tool. I bet he got out a tape measure after the game to confirm his "blast."

[- thinking he had a legitimate shot as a BCS-level prospect - signed with a DIII program. Not just a DIII program, but a bad DIII program at that. The mighty Diplomats of Franklin & Marshall College.

[/QUOTE]

Oh well, he's young. The thing I'm curious about is what he "signed." DIII do not offer scholarships so my guess is that he has agreed to go out for football there (I don't think that there's anything to sign). There was a kid from near Reno, NV who orchestrated a hoax a couple of years ago about getting a football scholarship to Cal. The high school had a school pep rally where he was going to sign the tender, etc. Then someone got suspicious and called Tedford. The jig was up. Really sad.

Haha, funny, I wish him well at Franklin & Marshall College though.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but last summer/fall this idiot who went by the name of "iamhuge" posted here about this can't-miss FB prospect who the Gophers should sign up forthwith.

I happened to run across this little nugget today:

http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/479333

Yes, you read that correctly. The same kid whose shill was carpet-bombing various Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, and SEC message boards - thinking he had a legitimate shot as a BCS-level prospect - signed with a DIII program. Not just a DIII program, but a bad DIII program at that. The mighty Diplomats of Franklin & Marshall College.

I thought someone else might get a laugh at the memory of this d*uche. Seriously, you can't make it up.

I, for one, was pretty damn impressed by this kid's PR effort. I remember googling that guy and saw he posted about 5 or 6 of the same posts on what seemed like every single college football board in America in all divisions. I'm glad he landed somewhere and hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

It looks like even Florida was recruiting him! Look's like St. Mary's School for the Blind snatched him from right underneath the gators noses.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=107915

Realistically, I don't applaud the kid for his "PR" efforts. He claimed to be "getting offers" etc. Someone mentioned the Cal story earlier and I think this is exactly what it is -- the kid has a big ego and wants to get noticed more.

Did anybody scan down on the Florida link and see the YouTube baseball highlight that this tool posted? LMAO from the "#1 pitching prospect" to the 410 ft. flashed on the screen. If you're trying to pimp your kid you may want to do it in a slightly less obvious manner.

Wow

Seems to me whoever promoted this kid was doing what any concerned parent or person who wants to do all they can to give a child the best opportunity available.

I do not see it as pimping your kid i see it as going after your dream and leaving no stone left unturned.

with the economy in its present state and the only way to get a job with decent wages is to get a degree and money for tuition hard to come by.

And living in a time where a host of parents are neglecting and abusing their kids.

To see somebody using all of their resources for a child to me does not deserve ridicule

Seems to me whoever promoted this kid was doing what any concerned parent or person who wants to do all they can to give a child the best opportunity available.

I do not see it as pimping your kid i see it as going after your dream and leaving no stone left unturned.

with the economy in its present state and the only way to get a job with decent wages is to get a degree and money for tuition hard to come by.

And living in a time where a host of parents are neglecting and abusing their kids.

To see somebody using all of their resources for a child to me does not deserve ridicule

Putting his name out there is not the problem. The way it was done is what's open to mock and ridicule. Leaving posts on message boards like "he's now getting offers" and "the rest of the world has noticed", and many more examples of hyperbole are the problem. Not only that, but posting as though, for example, it's an "MSU Asst" coach (as if a college coach would even do something like that, and ESPECIALLY for such a non-prospect), when we really know it's just the kid and/or his dad.

When you prop up your kid like he's some god, and he's really just average at the very best, that's what people have a problem with. And, like another poster said, how do we know this isn't the kid himself doing all of this? The whole thing is just insulting to even a moron's intelligence.

Putting his name out there is not the problem. The way it was done is what's open to mock and ridicule. Leaving posts on message boards like "he's now getting offers" and "the rest of the world has noticed", and many more examples of hyperbole are the problem. Not only that, but posting as though, for example, it's an "MSU Asst" coach (as if a college coach would even do something like that, and ESPECIALLY for such a non-prospect), when we really know it's just the kid and/or his dad.

When you prop up your kid like he's some god, and he's really just average at the very best, that's what people have a problem with. And, like another poster said, how do we know this isn't the kid himself doing all of this? The whole thing is just insulting to even a moron's intelligence.

Yet some of the Florida posters thought they should offer :clap:

haha

the kid looks good to me

I am new to this forum and don't quite understand the history behind this, but I googled the kid and found his Youtube highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hcDrswntqI

I have coached football for a number of years and this kid looks to be a high quality football player with determination, strength, toughness and remarkable speed for a kid his size. What I really liked is the way he plays through the whistle for a two way player..most kids his size don't have that kind of stamina. Watch him on the 80 yd TD run.

I don't think many of you who post on this forum have ever played football quite at that level. Not playing D1 football is nothing to be ashamed about. There are many great players who play FCS, D2 or D3 because that's what works for the kid or the kids' family.

For all of you bashing the kid, I am sure you wouldn't want to go one on one and try to tackle him. I sure as heck wouldn't!

Best of luck Trevor..you can play for me any day!

There was a kid from near Reno, NV who orchestrated a hoax a couple of years ago about getting a football scholarship to Cal. The high school had a school pep rally where he was going to sign the tender, etc. Then someone got suspicious and called Tedford. The jig was up. Really sad.

I remember that. That was weird. I can understand how a teenager in this day and age could get caught up in the hype, but the parents should have been ashamed of themselves.

I am new to this forum and don't quite understand the history behind this, but I googled the kid and found his Youtube highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hcDrswntqI

I have coached football for a number of years and this kid looks to be a high quality football player with determination, strength, toughness and remarkable speed for a kid his size. What I really liked is the way he plays through the whistle for a two way player..most kids his size don't have that kind of stamina. Watch him on the 80 yd TD run.

I don't think many of you who post on this forum have ever played football quite at that level. Not playing D1 football is nothing to be ashamed about. There are many great players who play FCS, D2 or D3 because that's what works for the kid or the kids' family.

For all of you bashing the kid, I am sure you wouldn't want to go one on one and try to tackle him. I sure as heck wouldn't!

Best of luck Trevor..you can play for me any day!

missingthepoint.png

LOL..but I don't think I missed the point. From what I gather, someone put this kids' video up on a bunch of message boards to get him noticed. Apparently it worked. The kid got noticed by people who read the message boards.

As a Gopher fan, I would love to see more videos of prospects...makes the spring and summer go a lot faster if football is still on the menu. So what's the big deal.

You take issue with the fact that the original poster said that Trevor had "offers". How do we know he didn't have any offers? Based on what I can tell and from my experience, the kid could easily be a D1 fullback. I bet the service academies were all over him.

I know a few kids who were exceptional high school football players who turned down D1 offers to go to D3 schools for several reasons (eg they wanted to play more than one sport, they wanted to go to a superior academic school, they wanted to play close to home, they didn't wants athletics to dominate their college experience, etc).

I think your great "discovery" that this kid is going to Franklin & Marshall somewhat misses the point. I had never heard of Franklin & Marshall but when I googled it, it came up pretty high on US News list of top schools and their football team played in a bowl game last season. Yes it was a D3 bowl game, but a bowl game nonetheless.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more kids videos on this forum...in fact I hope that is the case.

I remember the original post from last year. A lot of people were calling the guy out at the time for carpet bombing every major college football board with video and descriptions of how great this kid was going to be. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the thread was even titled something like "The Next Barber/Maroney". I got a chuckle out of it at the time because most people posting after the oringal thread could smell something was up.

So, seeing dpodoll's follow up this many months later is quite funny to me and I am glad he shared that info.

All this says nothing about the kid himself. I'm sure he helps old women across the street and plays through the whistle on every down. The whole point was the effort (by someone else) to trump up his skills.

LOL..but I don't think I missed the point. From what I gather, someone put this kids' video up on a bunch of message boards to get him noticed. Apparently it worked. The kid got noticed by people who read the message boards.

As a Gopher fan, I would love to see more videos of prospects...makes the spring and summer go a lot faster if football is still on the menu. So what's the big deal.

You take issue with the fact that the original poster said that Trevor had "offers". How do we know he didn't have any offers? Based on what I can tell and from my experience, the kid could easily be a D1 fullback. I bet the service academies were all over him.

I know a few kids who were exceptional high school football players who turned down D1 offers to go to D3 schools for several reasons (eg they wanted to play more than one sport, they wanted to go to a superior academic school, they wanted to play close to home, they didn't wants athletics to dominate their college experience, etc).

I think your great "discovery" that this kid is going to Franklin & Marshall somewhat misses the point. I had never heard of Franklin & Marshall but when I googled it, it came up pretty high on US News list of top schools and their football team played in a bowl game last season. Yes it was a D3 bowl game, but a bowl game nonetheless.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more kids videos on this forum...in fact I hope that is the case.

No, you are definitely missing the point. This kid was definitely a decent HS football player. I, or anyone else that I've seen here or elsewhere, am not disputing that. And certainly the opportunity to play collegiate football, at any level, is not to be dismissed. Perhaps he may have even had offers from the service academies, though I doubt it. Someone who's pimped himself as much as this kid has would've included such offers in his list alongside Johns Hopkins, Tufts, and F&M.

But even if he did have service academy offers, he was posting on multiple BCS football team boards. The fact that this kid (and/or his dad) thought he had a legitimate shot to receive a BCS scholarship offer is ridiculous. Hell, they could've even spammed the NDSU/SDSU/Northern Iowa/Youngstown St/Villanova-level boards for all I care (though he wouldn't have gotten offers from DI-A, either).

But I'm sorry - if you're posting on Florida and Alabama boards, and then sign up to be a Franklin & Marshall Diplomat, I will mock and ridicule you mercilessly.

(I stand corrected on F&M's recent success. I just noted that they have had 2 plus-.500 seasons in the last 13. We're happy for 'em.)

If you're not a top-tier prospect, the name of the game is getting yourself noticed. Now, a lot of kids hire "recruiting services" (of which there are plenty). These things can be really hit or miss. They charge in the four-figure range to make you a highlight video and simply send it out to colleges. So unless the recruiting service has some serious contacts - and most don't - it's a big waste of cash.

Now, I'm not completely familiar with this kid's situation, but I do know berecruited.com and most college message boards are free. Making your own highlight video can be free or very cheap.

So a kid goes out and tries to make a name for himself (and hopefully obtain a scholarship) and he gets ridiculed by a bunch of middle-aged men who never played college football. Seems real fair.

Dpodoll68 is becoming a bigger D-bag as the days go by.

So a kid goes out and tries to make a name for himself (and hopefully obtain a scholarship) and he gets ridiculed by a bunch of middle-aged men who never played college football. Seems real fair.

I don't think anybody here is getting on the kid about trying to promote himself -- the problem is the underhanded and dishonest way in which he did it.

http://www.spartantailgate.com/foru...g-forum/384043-10-nj-fb-trevor-barsamian.html

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/recr...n-245-lb-animal-leaves-defenses-shreds-2.html

http://www.hawkeyehideout.com/showthread.php?t=14966

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=68595

On all of them he mentions that he is "being noticed" by other schools...and that he is getting offers now...hearing from bigtime programs....yada yada yada. He is being dishonest and misleading in the way he is going about it.

Fair enough, I didn't take the time to read any of his posts

If you're not a top-tier prospect, the name of the game is getting yourself noticed. Now, a lot of kids hire "recruiting services" (of which there are plenty). These things can be really hit or miss. They charge in the four-figure range to make you a highlight video and simply send it out to colleges. So unless the recruiting service has some serious contacts - and most don't - it's a big waste of cash.

Now, I'm not completely familiar with this kid's situation, but I do know berecruited.com and most college message boards are free. Making your own highlight video can be free or very cheap.

Is this true???? When I was playing HS football many schools, including ones that even I knew I wasn't good enough to play at, started sending out preliminary letters and asking for film pretty early. It seems wierd that in the ever more competitive recruiting world coaches would be LESS hands on in this aspect.

I don't think anybody here is getting on the kid about trying to promote himself -- the problem is the underhanded and dishonest way in which he did it.

http://www.spartantailgate.com/foru...g-forum/384043-10-nj-fb-trevor-barsamian.html

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/recr...n-245-lb-animal-leaves-defenses-shreds-2.html

http://www.hawkeyehideout.com/showthread.php?t=14966

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=68595

On all of them he mentions that he is "being noticed" by other schools...and that he is getting offers now...hearing from bigtime programs....yada yada yada. He is being dishonest and misleading in the way he is going about it.

I don't really see what the problem is with any of this. It's the internet for crying out loud. Caveat emptor applies everywhere in cyberspace. How do you know the kid didn't get what he wanted and played you like a fiddle in doing so? Or..how do we know it wasn't some kid from a rival school who posted this stuff in the first place? To try to understand the motive is what is really pointless.

Regarding a BCS scholarship, would you rather be a scholarship bench player who never sees the field at a sub-standard academic school or a big man on campus star player at a top notch academic school like Johns Hopkins? If your family can afford it, seems like an easy choice to me. Being a very good high school player can get you a lot of places...it doesn't have to be in the starting line up at Minnesota and I doubt every high school player would feel "crushed" if that didn't come true, given the other options available to some.

I don't really see what the problem is with any of this. It's the internet for crying out loud. Caveat emptor applies everywhere in cyberspace. How do you know the kid didn't get what he wanted and played you like a fiddle in doing so? Or..how do we know it wasn't some kid from a rival school who posted this stuff in the first place? To try to understand the motive is what is really pointless.

Regarding a BCS scholarship, would you rather be a scholarship bench player who never sees the field at a sub-standard academic school or a big man on campus star player at a top notch academic school like Johns Hopkins? If your family can afford it, seems like an easy choice to me. Being a very good high school player can get you a lot of places...it doesn't have to be in the starting line up at Minnesota and I doubt every high school player would feel "crushed" if that didn't come true, given the other options available to some.

Did you even read my post? There is absolutely nothing wrong with not playing ball at a place like MN. When I have kids some day I'd rather have them earn a scholarship the old fashioned way, with an academic scholarship because of all the weird things that college athletics make people do (Seantrel Henderson and Mr. Barsamian are textbook examples).

You don't really see the problem with being dishonest? You think some rival player tried to get the backup fullback from an average football team in New Jersey to look like a fool on the internet? Occam's Razor, my friend.

Fair enough, I didn't take the time to read any of his posts

Perhaps an apology to all the middle aged men on this forum?

Oh, and here is that guy's Gopher Hole edition to his carpet bombing mission last year:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=5592&highlight=iamhuge

I don't know if "iamhuge" was HIM, or a parent, a buddy, or someone he knew. Either way, the whole farce was pretty widespread. In the Gopher Hole thread, the claim was "He is getting offers now." In the Oklahoma State board the question was "who is going to get him, OU or OSU?"

Well, we now know who "got" him. Perhaps we will see him lined up against Augsburg some day.

Did you even read my post? There is absolutely nothing wrong with not playing ball at a place like MN. When I have kids some day I'd rather have them earn a scholarship the old fashioned way, with an academic scholarship because of all the weird things that college athletics make people do (Seantrel Henderson and Mr. Barsamian are textbook examples).

You don't really see the problem with being dishonest? You think some rival player tried to get the backup fullback from an average football team in New Jersey to look like a fool on the internet? Occam's Razor, my friend.

Thanks for reminding me..I was going to say an alien hacked into his email account.

Top Bottom