Trestman not good enough for the Gophers

OMG. We made a horrible mistake not hiring him! Miami football is well-run and still one of the top 5 programs in America! If they want him, we would have been lucky to have him!

@howeda7- not what i was saying. Just pointing out that obviously the man is a credible candidate However reading this board you would think otherwise. I'm guessing Trestman took himself out of the running..

@howeda7- not what i was saying. Just pointing out that obviously the man is a credible candidate However reading this board you would think otherwise. I'm guessing Trestman took himself out of the running..

Um, what it means is the man seems to have a credible agent and PR coordinator.

I'm not on this board all day...sorry didn't notice this was posted already. For the record, I was not a trestman supporter...Just found it weird that he was not considered a candidate....Strong ties to the Canadian league which would be good for recruiting....You're getting the left overs of the big ten to begin with anyways, might as well give them some hope..Kill is an improvement is this respect?..

I'm not on this board all day...sorry didn't notice this was posted already. For the record, I was not a trestman supporter...Just found it weird that he was not considered a candidate....Strong ties to the Canadian league which would be good for recruiting....You're getting the left overs of the big ten to begin with anyways, might as well give them some hope..Kill is an improvement is this respect?..

1) How does coaching a football team with weird rules in a different country benefit his recruiting?
2) We don't know how Kill's recruiting will be, but something tells me he should be able to recruit on par with a guy who has few total (and no recent) ties to the college game.

No offense to Trestman, but if he lands the Miami job I hope it's not a huge success, otherwise boards like this will be unbearable.

No offense to Trestman, but if he lands the Miami job I hope it's not a huge success, otherwise boards like this will be unbearable.

The thing is, Miami is the type of place he could be successful at. His biggest question mark is recruiting. At Miami that wouldn't be a problem, since he has all the talent he would need in town. Minnesota needs a someone who can turn less gifted athletes into players. Still, if he takes the Miami job his success or failure there will be forever talked about in relation to the gopher job.

Golden and Edsall are more likely head coaches at Miami than Trestman it seems.

@GoAUpher-

where do you think most of players in the CFL come from? Arland Bruce has made quite a nice living for himself the last 10 years...The benefit is his exposure to the league. Something most college coaches don't have but something that would be beneficial for a Gopher coach and the type of players that come to the program. The Gophers are never going to get ENOUGH top recruits for football (basketball is a different animal)
Most people here have a very negative view of the CFL but I'm guessing none have actually asked player what its like..Having that connection can only help...

Weird rules? different, yes....

Trestman is a better fit in Miami for two reasons:

- His Euro-style haircut fits in down there
- He's already used to dealing with paid professionals

With a little bit of tweaking the Fire Trestman website could be sold to a Miami fan cheap.

@GoAUpher-

where do you think most of players in the CFL come from?.

LOLOLOL.

Because you recruit guys that have already graduated from college.

You sir, are an idiot.

Trestman is a better fit in Miami for two reasons:

- His Euro-style haircut fits in down there
- He's already used to dealing with paid professionals

With a little bit of tweaking the Fire Trestman website could be sold to a Miami fan cheap.

You forgot the incredible brain-drain on the populous once you get south of Tampa-Orlando...

totally missed the point,...again I'm not a Trestman supporter, just playing the devil's advocate here...His recruiting advantage could be that he has strong ties to the CFL. The majority of players for a last place big ten team aren't going to the NFL for the most part.....Might as well have something for these left overs to shoot for after college..That being said the CFL would be a long shot for most recruits at the U of M but at least its a shot......that's my point...

totally missed the point,...again I'm not a Trestman supporter, just playing the devil's advocate here...His recruiting advantage could be that he has strong ties to the CFL. The majority of players for a last place big ten team aren't going to the NFL for the most part.....Might as well have something for these left overs to shoot for after college..That being said the CFL would be a long shot for most recruits at the U of M but at least its a shot......that's my point...

Yea, what a great recruiting pitch - "Well we are cellar dwellers at the U so you will have no shot at all of playing in the NFL, don't even think about it. But, perhaps, if you work real hard and show a glimmer of talent, maybe, just maybe, I could talk to my people in the CFL and have them take a look at you. Look it, you are playing for the U of M, one of the most disgraceful programs in the country, don't think you are ever going to be looked at by an NFL team. The CFL is your only shot, so come to the U and I provide you the best opportunity to get into the CFL."

Wow, that would fire me up for Trestman.

I read on the Miami board that Trestman hates recruiting so much that he actually had it written in his contract that he wouldn't have to do any recruiting while he was the OC at NC State.

Yea, what a great recruiting pitch - "Well we are cellar dwellers at the U so you will have no shot at all of playing in the NFL, don't even think about it. But, perhaps, if you work real hard and show a glimmer of talent, maybe, just maybe, I could talk to my people in the CFL and have them take a look at you. Look it, you are playing for the U of M, one of the most disgraceful programs in the country, don't think you are ever going to be looked at by an NFL team. The CFL is your only shot, so come to the U and I provide you the best opportunity to get into the CFL."

Wow, that would fire me up for Trestman.

This. The CFL is not what a recruit is thinking about coming out of high school.

exactly my point, the CFL is not what recruits are thinking about and for most its not realistic to make it to that level but at least Trestman offers that insight.. There are 2 pro leagues, the NFL and the CFL, only so many jobs to go around....Trestman has strong ties to one of them.

Looked at Herald and Rivals pages. Hurricane Nation more outraged at the possibility of Marc Trestman than we were. The real question is: How does Sean Henderson feel about Coach Trestman?

exactly my point, the CFL is not what recruits are thinking about and for most its not realistic to make it to that level but at least Trestman offers that insight.. There are 2 pro leagues, the NFL and the CFL, only so many jobs to go around....Trestman has strong ties to one of them.

And barely any ties to the college game. Thus one of the primary reasons he was disliked.

but he's on the short list for Miami...LOL...

http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=345093

I'll say what I said to your "bro" who posted this earlier. Maybe our administration did not take kindly to getting railroaded by Trestman's buddies who used threats and intimidation to try to get him installed here.

And I'll ask you as well, why did you punk sissies take your names off the website? And why did you remove the "Contact Us" button? I know the answer already, I just want to hear you say it.

absolutely, no argument there....I was merely trying to play devils advocate and defend people like Dungy who put Trestman at the top of their list....I think he's overated simply because he's been coaching a hall of fame QB for the whole time he's been there..The CFL is a QB league..

@MSgopher- I honestly have no idea what you are talking about..I live in Winnipeg, woke up this morning, hit tsn.ca and saw the article and posted it...thats it..TSN is the espn equivalent, I don't run TSN LOL!..

Trestman has more ties to Miami football than Minnesota football. He has actually coached there. He has coached in the acc in the last decade. He hasn't been involved with Minnesota since the 70s.

I hope Miami hires him. They would turn into the gophers of the 80s. (a once great program that is officially dead)

Top Bottom