Tressel resigns

This is a cowardly move by Tressel. He has essentially hung is players out to dry by leaving before the NCAA ruling came down.

Now the man who was at the center of this whole thing is going to escape the punishment and his players are going to have to suffer through whatever penalty the NCAA decides.

Good riddance Jim, its coaches like you that give college sports a black eye.

This resignation is likely being pushed by OSU. They asked him to take the bullet and he's doing it. The NCAA can still hammer him. Not being at OSU doesn't change that. OSU is just hoping the damage can be contained to SV and that they can avoid USC level scholarship/post season penalties.

if they can hold on to their recruiting class with an interm coach. My guess is they won't skip a beat
and will continue to bring in top players much like USC. There maybe some atrition with the spanking of the NCAA, but I think the rich still stay rich.

They rich will stay rich unless the NCAA hammers them with USC level scholarship penalties. Losing 30 schollies over 3 years and a limit of 75 schollies during any 1 year period? Even the mighty OSU would take a dip with those.

remains: how do you finally teach the student athletes that they can not get by with obtaining benefits and money for playing NCAA sports in a high school or college setting. The coaches can NOT be with the students 24 hours a day. Is that not correct?

Perhaps Alvarez at wisky should have been really nailed GOOD back in the "shoe-gate" scandal in madison. Dayne had to KNOW that it was not ok for him to be getting all that free stuff at the "shoebox." Same with his teammates. And what Clem Haskins did here at the University of Minnesota was incredibly dishonest and was SO harmful to the lessons kids learn that it was horrible.

Who is going to keep the gamblers from paying off student athletes to shave points, or throw games if the student athletes don't start learning right from wrong?

Parents need to start teaching their children. Coaches need to be held responsible and accountable for seeing IF their players are driving really NICE, expensive cars around campus. IF the coach knows that, the coach had BETTER be getting to the bottom of what is going on there.

But how are we going to teach the children 24? Are you saying they have no responsibilities in this entire process?

I give the kids more wiggle room here than the coaches, administrators and compliance officials. However, we are NOT doing a very good job teaching the kids the difference between right and wrong. When and how are we going to do that?

But, by all means nail the heck out of the coaches, administrators and adults in the process and for God's sake: start letting the kids know that there is RIGHT and WRONG.

The players were punished when they were suspended 5 games....for selling their own property. Which is what they should have been because it's against the rules (however bogus they may be).

Clem Haskins? Cheating in college is almost a way of life and expected. It's been going on since colleges opened. It's wrong but there is nothing new or devasting. What was wrong however was Clem being involved. His involvement is what pushed it to another level. Kids getting laid in high school is nothing new...dad or mom getting the hotel room would be.

Growing up I did my share of "dirt," as a parent I need to keep that to myself and not condone that sort of behavior (kids will do enough on their own) and be a moral compass. I also need to keep things in perspective and realize it's all a part of growing up.

Sorry to hear that 24. IF there is not enough "moral compass" by a fairly young age, there might not be a very good sense of direction that can over-ride a faulty moral compass reading. Perhaps what is even more dangerous is a "sense of entitlement" that completely over-rides everything. If you don't have the "rights down from the wrongs" by the time you are half-way through high school, and your "entitlement sensed" is running your show and you can easily take a look around you and conclude "everybody's doing it..." things are pretty well all over and won't change very much any time soon....if ever.

The truth of the matter is that "everyone..." is NOT doing it. Only "some..." IF you start playing with a "moral compass" and a sense of "entitlement" over-rides all else, it seems to me you are just making excuses and setting a course for an "easier, softer..." path to follow.

Yes, we ALL make mistakes. And, not everyone will have the same value system as everyone else. I'm not smart enough to know what the value system should be for everyone else. I don't have control over anyone or anything else. But, I do know when something is right or wrong for me. And I have known that ever since I was a really young kid. I also know that there was something really tugging at me and letting me know IF I did something to break the rules and it really got my attention. Perhaps I should say that it really GETS my attention. Yes, even at my ancient age, my "moral compass still needs to rise up and let me know who is boss. And, believe me, I don't always like it when that old conscience NEEDS to kick me upside the head.

OBVIOUSLY, some people, like it would appear Jim Tressel, never did learn the difference between right and wrong. He appears to have let his sense of entitlement over-ride his moral comapss. I suppose all of us do that or try to do that sometimes. The same with Pete Carroll at USC and Haskins at Minnesota. One must conclude that ever since a very young age, those folks had their moral compass over-ridden and their sense of entitlement rewarded, big time. But, at some point in time, it would appear that they decided that breaking the rules was more important than following that moral compass.

For some people, it's cheat on your spouse...or...cheat on your taxes...or, decide that all those lectures you heard when you got to college about rules and regulations from the compliance department didn't really apply to you. Each year that goes by without paying attention to the difference between right and wrong makes it that much more difficult to start paying attention to the difference between right and wrong. And, the most dangerous phrase just may be; "...everybody's doing it..."

If a person hears those "everybody's doing it" tapes playing all the time...I guess it just may be on the way to being too late already... Well, I'll take that back...I guess it's never really EVER too late to start listening to that old conversation about knowing the difference between right and wrong. There is ALWAYS a chance...if we just learn to listen...yes, it IS a part of our human condition. But we need to keep trying... ; 0 )

GoldenGophers has it right. Michigan and Nebraska (beginning with their OSU night game this fall) are the big beneficiaries of this. Michigan could have stayed in the "East" division.

Tweet from Marcus:

"Top 2012 MN target Pirsig says nothing changes right now with his interest in Ohio St despite Tressel resigning."

Go Gophers!!

So, by logical extension, his interest in OSU had nothing to do with Tressel?

a lot of long faces here in Youngstown, Ohio...and I couldn't be any happier. The Vest is thought of as a God here in Youngstown, Ohio. He still does a good amount of good for the Youngstown area, specifically Youngstown State University, in which he donated a bunch of money for a first class indoor facility which is slated to open soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikBhyuiNk_0

Sorry to hear that 24. IF there is not enough "moral compass" by a fairly young age, there might not be a very good sense of direction that can over-ride a faulty moral compass reading. Perhaps what is even more dangerous is a "sense of entitlement" that completely over-rides everything. If you don't have the "rights down from the wrongs" by the time you are half-way through high school, and your "entitlement sensed" is running your show and you can easily take a look around you and conclude "everybody's doing it..." things are pretty well all over and won't change very much any time soon....if ever.

The truth of the matter is that "everyone..." is NOT doing it. Only "some..." IF you start playing with a "moral compass" and a sense of "entitlement" over-rides all else, it seems to me you are just making excuses and setting a course for an "easier, softer..." path to follow.

Yes, we ALL make mistakes. And, not everyone will have the same value system as everyone else. I'm not smart enough to know what the value system should be for everyone else. I don't have control over anyone or anything else. But, I do know when something is right or wrong for me. And I have known that ever since I was a really young kid. I also know that there was something really tugging at me and letting me know IF I did something to break the rules and it really got my attention. Perhaps I should say that it really GETS my attention. Yes, even at my ancient age, my "moral compass still needs to rise up and let me know who is boss. And, believe me, I don't always like it when that old conscience NEEDS to kick me upside the head.

OBVIOUSLY, some people, like it would appear Jim Tressel, never did learn the difference between right and wrong. He appears to have let his sense of entitlement over-ride his moral comapss. I suppose all of us do that or try to do that sometimes. The same with Pete Carroll at USC and Haskins at Minnesota. One must conclude that ever since a very young age, those folks had their moral compass over-ridden and their sense of entitlement rewarded, big time. But, at some point in time, it would appear that they decided that breaking the rules was more important than following that moral compass.

For some people, it's cheat on your spouse...or...cheat on your taxes...or, decide that all those lectures you heard when you got to college about rules and regulations from the compliance department didn't really apply to you. Each year that goes by without paying attention to the difference between right and wrong makes it that much more difficult to start paying attention to the difference between right and wrong. And, the most dangerous phrase just may be; "...everybody's doing it..."

If a person hears those "everybody's doing it" tapes playing all the time...I guess it just may be on the way to being too late already... Well, I'll take that back...I guess it's never really EVER too late to start listening to that old conversation about knowing the difference between right and wrong. There is ALWAYS a chance...if we just learn to listen...yes, it IS a part of our human condition. But we need to keep trying... ; 0 )

You are old school, and for the most part there is nothing wrong with that. However kids are smarter than they used to be and things are more complicated.

Everybody is doing it is not an excuse to also do it but one would be naive to not recognize what is going on. That includes to various degrees kids cheating in college.

Yeah...I'm old school...and I've been around long enough to have paid dues...

I hope that if the kids think they are smarter today...that they really are smarter. Based upon what I read and hear, I'm not so sure about that though. Maybe they "get around" at earlier ages and maybe a little more often...too often maybe. Maybe they get by for a while...unfortunately too many of them don't get by "out there" either. They are killing each other and are learning in the ultimate "hard way" entirely all to often. I really do question just how "smart" a lot of them are when their lives end before they are 25. It used to be that you got drafted and then went into war zones when Uncle Sam sent you to war. Now, these "smart young kids" create their own war zones right where they live. I hate to see these young kids being so smart that they are taking each other, and a lot of innocent people out.

So many are so smart that they think they don't need an education. So, they drop out of high school. So many who go on to college are so smart that they think they are smart enough cheat their way through college. Is THAT smart? Where is the "self-esteem" that EARNING something gives an individual when the going gets tough and you have to really know you can get the job done because you have DONE the work before and you can dig out what ever information you need to dig out because you have done that before too.

I don't know 24: I'm not a very smart man, but, from what I keep hearing, too many of the young kids might be REALLY smart...but they are not living very "smart" lives.

I guess they are really "smarter" now days...I'm sure they are all a lot smarter than I am. But, then, how come so many are in so much trouble? Life has a lot more to offer than getting high, getting by, getting away with something and getting all you can get the easiest way you can get it.

I don't know 24...are they REALLY as smart as they think they are?

Life is complicated...sure...and it was back in the 1960's too.

However, sometimes the smart ones have to realize they don't know it all and that the rules count for them too...AND...when things are too complicated, about all you can try to do is to keep things simple, get yourself up and get going..and you know you can, because you have done it before. You KNOW you can get the job done. You didn't cheat. You didn't take some other person's honest work and try to claim it for your own.

I hope all these really smart kids living in this really complicated world can start learning the difference between right and wrong and can do all they can to "kiss" or keep it simple stupid...as the old saying goes... The really smart ones KNOW that they don't know some things...

I see a LOT of great kids all around and I wish the best for every single kid out there. It is complicated and complex and dangerous at times out there. I hope they do like I did and somehow muddle thruogh and survive to be SIMPLY not so smart old people. There is something really nice about surviving to be an old guy! ; 0 )

I hope that if the kids think they are smarter today...that they really are smarter. Based upon what I read, I'm not so sure about that. Maybe they "get around" at earlier ages and maybe a little more often. Maybe they get by for a while...unfortunately too many of them don't get by "out there" either. They are killing each other and are learning in the ultimate "hard way" entirely all to often. I really do question just how "smart" a lot of them are when their lives end before they are 25. It used to be that you got drafted and then went into war zones when Uncle Sam sent you to war. Now, these "smart young kids" create their own war zones right where they live. I hate to see these young kids being so smart that they are taking each other, and a lot of innocent people out.

So many are so smart that they don't need an education. So, they drop out of high school. So many who go on to college are so smart that they cheat their way through college. Is THAT smart?

I don't know 24: I'm not a very smart man, but, from what I keep hearing, too many of the young kids might be REALLY smart...but they are not living very "smart" lives.

I guess they are really "smarter" now days...I'm sure they are all a lot smarter than I am. But, then, how come so many are in so much trouble? Life has a lot more to offer than getting high, getting by, getting away with something and getting all you can get the easiest way you can get it.

However, sometimes the smart ones have to realize they don't know it all and that the rules count for them too...AND...when things are too complicated, about all you can try to do is to keep things simple.

I hope all these really smart kids living in this really complicated world can start learning the difference between right and wrong and can do all their can to "kiss" or keep it simple stupid...
The really smart ones KNOW that they don't know some things...

I see a LOT of great kids all around and I wish the best for every single kid ojut there. It is complicated and comples and dangerous at times out there. I hope they do like I did and somehow muddle thruogh and survive to be SIMPLY not so smart old people! ; 0 )

You're preaching to the choir....amen to what you said.

I would just add; it would be a lot easier for them to learn if old fools (Tressel) learned a lesson or two and didn't out do them on their stupidity.

This is a cowardly move by Tressel. He has essentially hung is players out to dry by leaving before the NCAA ruling came down.

Now the man who was at the center of this whole thing is going to escape the punishment and his players are going to have to suffer through whatever penalty the NCAA decides.

Good riddance Jim, its coaches like you that give college sports a black eye.

Same thing as Pete Carroll leaving USC for Seattle. He always knew they were looking up his skirt, and he knew he was scum, but it wasn't until he would be brought down along with the program that he actually left.

You are SO right on the money 24!

You're preaching to the choir....amen to what you said.

I would just add; it would be a lot easier for them to learn if old fools (Tressel) learned a lesson or two and didn't out do them on their stupidity.

Tressel sold out...took the easy way out...thought he was entitled. And HE was in charge of 85 great young people on scholarship every single year he was the head coach of Ohio State. All the greatness he might have done...could have done...would have done and SHOULD have done by doing the RIGHT things he wasted and blew and destroyed all BECAUSE he thought he was above the rules. And, the funny thing is: with ALL the talent he had at OSU, he CERTAINLY should have been able to fairly compete with any program in the nation year in and year out.

He sent the WRONG message to a LOT of young people. He needs to apologize to a LOT of kids, parents, fans and he needs to do it HONESTLY and with real humility.

We older people need to know right from wrong if we hope our future...our young people can do better than we have done. We OWE that to our young people. That;s kind of what makes life really worth living. Give something back...maybe even more than we got by trying to do the right things. And give HOPE to the future.

I find it very ironic that SV tells the 5 suspended players that they cannot play in the bowl game unless they commit in writing that they will not forgo their next year at OSU. I guess the players should have extracted the same from him.

Smart vs. Simple

Wren comments about being smart vs. being simple got me thinking about coach Kill. I believe and hope that one of our strengths is that our coaching staff brings to recruits a strong sense of discipline and making good decisions.

If this is true, I can't help but believe that this could give coach Kill the edge with parents. Coach Limegrover has said in so many words that this is the case. He also implied that they often win the recruiting battles because of this. If you had a son being recruiting to play division 1 football would you prefer to trust him with Coach Kill or sweater vest? Coach Kill says he just a simple guy.

I hope that if the kids think they are smarter today...that they really are smarter. Based upon what I read and hear, I'm not so sure about that though. Maybe they "get around" at earlier ages and maybe a little more often...too often maybe. Maybe they get by for a while...unfortunately too many of them don't get by "out there" either. They are killing each other and are learning in the ultimate "hard way" entirely all to often. I really do question just how "smart" a lot of them are when their lives end before they are 25. It used to be that you got drafted and then went into war zones when Uncle Sam sent you to war. Now, these "smart young kids" create their own war zones right where they live. I hate to see these young kids being so smart that they are taking each other, and a lot of innocent people out.

So many are so smart that they think they don't need an education. So, they drop out of high school. So many who go on to college are so smart that they think they are smart enough cheat their way through college. Is THAT smart? Where is the "self-esteem" that EARNING something gives an individual when the going gets tough and you have to really know you can get the job done because you have DONE the work before and you can dig out what ever information you need to dig out because you have done that before too.

However, sometimes the smart ones have to realize they don't know it all and that the rules count for them too...AND...when things are too complicated, about all you can try to do is to keep things simple, get yourself up and get going..and you know you can, because you have done it before. You KNOW you can get the job done. You didn't cheat. You didn't take some other person's honest work and try to claim it for your own.

I hope all these really smart kids living in this really complicated world can start learning the difference between right and wrong and can do all they can to "kiss" or keep it simple stupid...as the old saying goes... The really smart ones KNOW that they don't know some things...

I see a LOT of great kids all around and I wish the best for every single kid out there. It is complicated and complex and dangerous at times out there. I hope they do like I did and somehow muddle thruogh and survive to be SIMPLY not so smart old people. There is something really nice about surviving to be an old guy! ; 0 )
+1, cheating is cheating whether it is done by coach or player. Like I said previously Tressel may have already been a cheat but he upped it another level when he signed Terrell Pryor. Every interview before he stepped foot at OSU led you to believe this arrogant SOB believed he had it made and was a walking NCAA violation timebomb.

That's insane. Pryor in no way what so ever is responsible for Tressel getting fired.

Tressel is a grown ass man and is responsible for his own decisions. Not to mention there is a history of shanigans in his program.

Tressel is suppose to be a LEADER of men...not a follower. What Pryor and his teammates did are minor infractions and occur on every D1 campus, what Tressel did are major infractions.

It would be like my daugher getting caught speeding by a traffic camra; the I decide to break into the DOT to steal the recording disc so my insurance doesn't increase. Point? Both Tressel and I would have committed much worse offenses for self serving reasons. Me, so I don't have to pay higher insurance premiums and Tressel so he can win football games.:cool02:

Damn good analogy. Lets not start blaming players just because they are outstanding players but at the same time quite immature.

+1, cheating is cheating whether it is done by coach or player. Like I said previously Tressel may have already been a cheat but he upped it another level when he signed Terrell Pryor. Every interview before he stepped foot at OSU led you to believe this arrogant SOB believed he had it made and was a walking NCAA violation timebomb.

I smell a little bit of haterade. He was the undisputed #1 player in the country. You call it arrogant, others may call it confident. Just a matter of perspective. And his interviews did not lead me to believe what you claim at all. The fact of the matter is that TP almost individually destroys opponents. He is an absolute beast on the football field and he shows out in BIG GAMES. Can you say PLAYMAKER! Stop hating on the young man. His infractions were minor as far as we know, and they in no way created a competitive advantage. TP in fact confessed when he was approached about the ordeal.

I smell a little bit of haterade. He was the undisputed #1 player in the country. You call it arrogant, others may call it confident. Just a matter of perspective. And his interviews did not lead me to believe what you claim at all. The fact of the matter is that TP almost individually destroys opponents. He is an absolute beast on the football field and he shows out in BIG GAMES. Can you say PLAYMAKER! Stop hating on the young man. His infractions were minor as far as we know, and they in no way created a competitive advantage. TP in fact confessed when he was approached about the ordeal.
And I smell a jock sniffer.

How does AD Gene Smith still have a job? I think if you look at his actions and words, it screams "lack of institutional control" over the past 6 months. He did everything in his power to hide the real truth. I think the NCAA will nail OSU even worse than USC as a result.

How does AD Gene Smith still have a job? I think if you look at his actions and words, it screams "lack of institutional control" over the past 6 months. He did everything in his power to hide the real truth. I think the NCAA will nail OSU even worse than USC as a result.

Chris Spielman was on Mike & Mike this morning saying exactly what you just said - that Gene Smith should be gone and that OSU will receive a worse penalty than USC did.

Smith's quotes that this was an isolated incident just shows that they had no control over the situation.

Go Gophers!!

Chris Spielman was on Mike & Mike this morning saying exactly what you just said - that Gene Smith should be gone and that OSU will receive a worse penalty than USC did.

Smith's quotes that this was an isolated incident just shows that they had no control over the situation.

Go Gophers!!

I don't normally read Gregg Doyel's columns because he's the worst kind of journalist/columnist in my opinion but I couldn't help but read it this morning. He completely took Gene Smith and President Gee to task for their sham of an 8-day internal investigation this past spring that revealed nothing. He argued it showed they didn't care to know the truth. That's lack of control at its worst. How dumb are they in thinking others like SI, Yahoo, etc wouldn't dig further themselves?

I don't normally read Gregg Doyel's columns because he's the worst kind of journalist/columnist in my opinion but I couldn't help but read it this morning. He completely took Gene Smith and President Gee to task for their sham of an 8-day internal investigation this past spring that revealed nothing. He argued it showed they didn't care to know the truth. That's lack of control at its worst. How dumb are they in thinking others like SI, Yahoo, etc wouldn't dig further themselves?

Sounds to me that they may well have been complicit in the coverup and the recent resignation is merely a damage control maneuver.

My take on the OSU situation (and big-time athletics, in general)

As time goes on, the more I'm convinced that a lot of good men will make horrible decisions if they're involved with big-time college sports. They all have to sell a chunk of their souls just to be a head coach or administrator. Looking the other way for the kind of stuff that's going on at OSU, pressuring school officials to accept elite athletes that have zero business being on a college campus, either socially or academically. ... and the beat goes on & on & on.

There's no other way around it. Nothing that's happening at OSU should be shocking.

As time goes on, the more I'm convinced that a lot of good men will make horrible decisions if they're involved with big-time college sports. They all have to sell a chunk of their souls just to be a head coach or administrator. Looking the other way for the kind of stuff that's going on at OSU, pressuring school officials to accept elite athletes that have zero business being on a college campus, either socially or academically. ... and the beat goes on & on & on.

There's no other way around it. Nothing that's happening at OSU should be shocking.

It not much different than becoming a politician, CEO, Wall Street financer or a lawyer. It just doesn't pay as well. That is because you don't have to be as good in making up stories as you did in the other professions. Help! I am beginning to sound like wren!

Top Bottom