Tressel resigns

Jim Tressel resigns

Per ESPN, Tressel resigns at OSU (sorry...no link yet). Hopefully this doesn't diminish their punishment from the NCAA.

Does this mean that Smiling Glen has a shot at his dream job? Or how long before Jim Tressel ends up as a Big ten broadcaster?

It sounds like a big SI article is coming out - per this tweet from George Dohrmann:

"I'm told it is likely my SI mag story will be posted at SI.com later today/tonight. Timing of Tress dec. will make sense after you read it"

Go Gophers!!

He made a deal with the devil (Terrell Pryor) and it ultimately did him in, how he will long for the days of Joe Germaine and Todd Boeckman.

He made a deal with the devil (Terrell Pryor) and it ultimately did him in, how he will long for the days of Joe Germaine and Todd Boeckman.

If I were to guess, what Pryor did and illegally received from boosters did not compare to the shenanigans with Maurice Clarett. This group of cheaters currently on the roster was not the Sweater Vest's first rodeo.

Go Gophers!!

As surprising as the sun coming up today. Thee Ohio State program has been dirty for years and perfected by Tressel. Its not all about the memorabilia, more will come out.

While I think like most people that the NCAA is one of the most worthless organizations out there, if there is one thing they do not like, it's being lied to which tO$U and SV did repeatedly.

Tressel deserves what he gets especially for pulling the shade over the eyes of fans of college with his 'holier than thou' attitude.

And this is how Michigan and Nebraska rise back to the top...

Nebraska is already fine, but I agree that Hoke's timing couldn't be better at Michigan.

Go Gophers!!

Wow, Rick Rod will get wins after being fired. Now we know how important it is to tOSU to beat Michigan. Coach Cooper would not go all the way so they got someone that desired the position all his life and would do ANYTHING to deliver.

I think this development opens the door for Joe Pa to go out on top. He will only get a push from Wisconsin in the LEADERS division while the LEGENDS will devour each other. PSU will be held high as the crown jewel of the NCAA; THE ULTIMATE CLEAN PROGRAM! An then and only then, JOE PA. will resign

It will be interesting to see....

if they can hold on to their recruiting class with an interm coach. My guess is they won't skip a beat
and will continue to bring in top players much like USC. There maybe some atrition with the spanking of the NCAA, but I think the rich still stay rich.

It's messed up how Joe Pa had to take flack for years for not matching up with a cheater and Lloyd Carr lost his job as well.

It was only a matter of time. Tressel cheated at Youngstown State and got caught, he just got more sophisticated. When the AD gave Tressel his "unwavering" support two weeks ago, that was the kiss of death for the vest.

RIP Jim Tressel- May 30, 2011

It was only a matter of time. Tressel cheated at Youngstown State and got caught, he just got more sophisticated. When the AD gave Tressel his "unwavering" support two weeks ago, that was the kiss of death for the vest.

RIP Jim Tressel- May 30, 2011

The vote of confidence is an absolute certain indication of a firing/resignation on the radar.

if they can hold on to their recruiting class with an interm coach. My guess is they won't skip a beat
and will continue to bring in top players much like USC. There maybe some atrition with the spanking of the NCAA, but I think the rich still stay rich.

You can't win championships if you are not qualified to compete in the Championship Game due to sanctions, which will be the case for a period of years once judgement comes down. The teams that will beat them down will be those that are "Rich" as well (PSU, Michigan, Nebraska...).

I don't think Jim Tressel is a bad man.

I think he found himself in a job that was suspended in a web of lies.

Everybody lies: players lie, academic enforcement staff lies, university spokespersons lie, coaches lie.

It just one huge tissue of lies and everybody knows it.

I don't think Jim Tressel is a bad man.

I think he found himself in a job that was suspended in a web of lies.

Everybody lies: players lie, academic enforcement staff lies, university spokespersons lie, coaches lie.

It just one huge tissue of lies and everybody knows it.

Studmeister, I think you lie. :)

NCAA Revenue sports are the "opiate" of the people... The NCAA is an organization of the university and college prexys, run by the prexys and for the benefit of the prexys. The NCAA has been broken for a LONG time. Perhaps the hammer coming down on the USC's OSU's, is a sign that even the university and college prexys are ashamed of what they have created, allowed and have protected.

Now go DESTROY Auburn NCAA! Put the fear of God back into NCAA Division I...II...and III college sports. NAIL the cheaters. PURGE all non-compliant programs. STRIKE while the GREED of the nfl owners and players allows you a brief window of opportunity NCAA! Save college and university sports programs while they are still WORTH saving.

Now, decide once and forever IF you want student athletes the way you advertise them to be...the way they are student athletes in Division III (NO athletic scholarships...only need-based and/or merit based financial aid that is available to all students OR if you want to have "farm teams" for the nfl/nba/nhl that will recurit individuals with outstanding athletic abilities and skills that need further development. Apprenticships in which you teach the athletes a skill...don't make them attend classes but have them work selling tickets, doing janitor work, grounds-keeping work, learning administrative duties from the ground up and all the other things it takes to run high school, college AND professional sports programs.) At least give kids who don't want the regular academic route a real and legitimate way to gain mentorship, knowlege and experience in a life-long occupational track. Call it "sports production management skills training"...HONESTLY, it would give these folks who have skills in athletics and a real love for athletics NEW possibilities once their playing days are done. And, they could then continue to do productive things within the field of sports. IF you are ok with the "professional sports" farm teams that you are currently participating in...at LEAST get the professional sports owners and leagues to PAY for the farm teams that you are currently providing them for free. What kind of stooges are you university and college prexys any way? How stupid can you be. Either have REAL students playing OR be honest that you are running apprenticeship programs in addition to your academic programs. Be honest prexys. Be real. Tell the truth prexys. Give the athletes some REAL options and career paths in addition to professional sports only. Let them have real options for courses of study at the college and university level. Let us know EXACTLY which programs get to cheat the most and why you let some programs by with SO much cheating with your blessings and protection.

This may be the last moment in time to SAVE the NCAA and college athletics from the corruption that has infiltrated as the financial rewards incentives; from the tv contracts for university and college prexys and their fiscal management plans has risen. Clean up your act NCAA! Clean up your act university and college prexys!

That's insane. Pryor in no way what so ever is responsible for Tressel getting fired.

Tressel is a grown ass man and is responsible for his own decisions. Not to mention there is a history of shanigans in his program.

Tressel is suppose to be a LEADER of men...not a follower. What Pryor and his teammates did are minor infractions and occur on every D1 campus, what Tressel did are major infractions.

It would be like my daugher getting caught speeding by a traffic camra; the I decide to break into the DOT to steal the recording disc so my insurance doesn't increase. Point? Both Tressel and I would have committed much worse offenses for self serving reasons. Me, so I don't have to pay higher insurance premiums and Tressel so he can win football games.:cool02:

This is a cowardly move by Tressel. He has essentially hung is players out to dry by leaving before the NCAA ruling came down.

Now the man who was at the center of this whole thing is going to escape the punishment and his players are going to have to suffer through whatever penalty the NCAA decides.

Good riddance Jim, its coaches like you that give college sports a black eye.

I agree 24: crucify the coaches and administrators. There is only one problem that..

remains: how do you finally teach the student athletes that they can not get by with obtaining benefits and money for playing NCAA sports in a high school or college setting. The coaches can NOT be with the students 24 hours a day. Is that not correct?

Perhaps Alvarez at wisky should have been really nailed GOOD back in the "shoe-gate" scandal in madison. Dayne had to KNOW that it was not ok for him to be getting all that free stuff at the "shoebox." Same with his teammates. And what Clem Haskins did here at the University of Minnesota was incredibly dishonest and was SO harmful to the lessons kids learn that it was horrible. Yet, those Gopher basketball players HAD to know that the academic cheating they were participating in was NOT right and was incredibly WRONG.

Who is going to keep the gamblers from paying off student athletes to shave points, or throw games if the student athletes don't start learning right from wrong?

Parents need to start teaching their children. Coaches need to be held responsible and accountable for seeing IF their players are driving really NICE, expensive cars around campus. IF the coach knows that, the coach had BETTER be getting to the bottom of what is going on there.

But how are we going to teach the children 24? Are you saying they have no responsibilities in this entire process?

I give the kids more wiggle room here than the coaches, administrators and compliance officials. However, we are NOT doing a very good job teaching the kids the difference between right and wrong. When and how are we going to do that?

But, by all means nail the heck out of the coaches, administrators and adults in the process and for God's sake: start letting the kids know that there is RIGHT and WRONG.

Top Bottom