Tre' Williams enters the Portal

I forgot Gabe Madsen averaged 1.5pts and opted out. Hard to find that output.
Mason did average 6.5pts per game in a weaker conference with a weaker SOS
Parker Fox lit up Minot and UMary, so I'm sure he will be a dominant B1G player.

Not saying all of these guys suck but you really lost me with the Madsen's. I don't know if Johnson would even take them.
Are you really going to deflect the original point by pretending like El-Amin, Battle, Race, Fox, and Garcia wouldn't absolutely wipe the floor against Mash, Tre, Mutaf, Omersa, and Freeman?

I'll take any of those guys in a heart beat. Let's see where were at when we know what guys will be filling those 7 or so spots. The bar to fill those spots is low.

*Your Madsen point is well taken though. I can't argue that.

Are you really going to deflect the original point by pretending like El-Amin, Battle, Race, Fox, and Garcia wouldn't absolutely wipe the floor against Mash, Tre, Mutaf, Omersa, and Freeman?

I'll take any of those guys in a heart beat. Let's see where were at when we know what guys will be filling those 7 or so spots. The bar to fill those spots is low.

*Your Madsen point is well taken though. I can't argue that.
I didn't saw ALL the guys you named. And El Amin and Fox are huge question marks. El Amin is really inefficient in a weak conference. Fox is a D2 kid who can't shoot

The Madsen's aren't good so I'm happy to read this. Tre Williams is better than either of them. Unless we can stack them on top of each other like a super madsen and have a giant player with 4 arms I don't want them.
I could see them ending up with Pitino in New Mexico.

And the crazy thing is we might be better because of it. All the players transferring from the Gophers are low grade players outside of Mash. The only 2 I care about keeping are Gabe and Robbins.

By my math this leaves 7 open scholarships to fill. This leaves adequate room for Jamison Battle, Race Thompson, Parker Fox, Dawson Garcia, Ish El-Amin, the Madsen twins, and other non-Minnesota bred portal guys who are difference makers.
I agree. 2 dudes who actually defend and are good culture guys. They would be my priority’s and the rest I feel are replaceable

I didn't saw ALL the guys you named. And El Amin and Fox are huge question marks. El Amin is really inefficient in a weak conference. Fox is a D2 kid who can't shoot

Personally I have more question marks about El Amin than Fox. Fox is freakishly athletic, has some nifty body control around the basket, and can attack off the dribble. His rim protection also translates anywhere.

Personally I have more question marks about El Amin than Fox. Fox is freakishly athletic, has some nifty body control around the basket, and can attack off the dribble. His rim protection also translates anywhere.
Agreed. El Amin can score but so inefficiently. Fox should be able to defend and rebound at the D1 level. Catch some lobs.

Obviously from your list I'd really like Garcia and Battle can stroke it.

Why the slowness in filling in the assistant coaches position? What was Ben Johnson doing to help convince current players to stay?

"If you can shoot the basketball, I am going to love you" - Ben Johnson.

Doesn't tre Williams love to shoot the basketball?

Does Ben Johnson have an idea who will play guard for him?

Is it panic time yet?
He loves to shoot it but not well. I’m sure Ben is sitting around his hotel with a beer and some chips waiting for someone to tell him what to do. Probably hasn’t even thought yet about assistant coaches, just waiting for apps, you know?

Really? Why are you panicking? He hasn’t even been the coach a week. Some of the asst coaches he is interested in and has probably talked to are likely still coaching. You don’t sacrifice who you want on your staff just to appease some fans in the short-term.

This is a huge opportunity to get some really good talent in here, crazy how many open spots we may get to work with.

And the crazy thing is we might be better because of it. All the players transferring from the Gophers are low grade players outside of Mash. The only 2 I care about keeping are Gabe and Robbins.

By my math this leaves 7 open scholarships to fill. This leaves adequate room for Jamison Battle, Race Thompson, Parker Fox, Dawson Garcia, Ish El-Amin, the Madsen twins, and other non-Minnesota bred portal guys who are difference makers.
Yeah and you are delusional if you think all those players are going to come. Its not just Minnesota chasing them but most programs in the country.

In general players leaving for playing time = not bad

Players Leaving because they want something better = bad

El Amin has only 1 year to play, they need Guards, he’s from Minnesota. I think he’d be a nice stop gap who also sends a message out to other Minnesota players that they are wanted at the U.

Last edited:

Yeah and you are delusional if you think all those players are going to come. Its not just Minnesota chasing them but most programs in the country.

He didn’t say 100% we’ve got those dudes locked down, he said there are scholarships waiting for them and to all of the dudes that were mentioned it is about as good of a transfer destination as you are gonna get, big ten school, hometown team. (Yes I am fully aware of our current situation)

What about players leaving cause they see their playing time will decrease?

Another question I think about is if we are building a winning culture and they don’t want the change? Then see ya later

Never in my wildest dreams would I expect all those players to come home, or anything close. Where did I state that? I simply made a list of Minnesota guys in the portal (or speculated to be entering the portal) who could potentially be Gophers next year. I'm sure Ben Johnson is going to be pursuing a healthy amount of national guys in the portal too. Lots of mid-major stars entering the portal.

What about players leaving cause they see their playing time will decrease?

Another question I think about is if we are building a winning culture and they don’t want the change? Then see ya later
See leaving for playing time.
He didn’t say 100% we’ve got those dudes locked down, he said there are scholarships waiting for them and to all of the dudes that were mentioned it is about as good of a transfer destination as you are gonna get, big ten school, hometown team. (Yes I am fully aware of our current situation)
Its not though the only plus is if they want to move closer to home and its a power conference school. But all of those guys are going to get other Power conference offers from coaches with more established reputation. Johnson is going to have to recruit his ass off.

That is not a top half of the Big Ten roster, but who cares their from Minnesota

I have no idea if Johnson will be able to recruit better players, but I cry no tears over losing players of Tre Williams' ability.

Rosters full of players like him are how Pitino got us into this mess in the first place.

We can finish 13th without Williams, like we did with him.

As opposed to the roster we had before Gopher Teeth?

Take the perspective of a potential assistant coach or players seeing Gophers jumping ship...aren't you wondering what the heck is going on? You fire your coach, you hire a first time coach, the players who played major minutes during the end of the year are leaving. Just saying from the outside it can't be looking all that good.

Personally am indifferent about Tre Williams. He had some talent but also was good for a dumb step back he had no chance of making every game. It’s probably not good to have this many players leave the program, but if you’re worried about him leaving you got bigger problems to fix.

The order of players I wanted to keep:
1. Liam Robbins
2. Jamal Mashburn
3. Gabe Kalscheur
4. Brandon Johnson
5. Tre Williams
6. Isaiah Ihnen
6. Both Gach
7. Martice Mitchell
8. Sam Freeman

I’ve always assumed Carr was gone after this year.
Losing Williams is disappointing. He really started to improve, I thought. I guess Ben Johnson has one more spot to work with now.

Like we need some dudes to replace the dudes leaving that can play with other big ten dudes

Hit FT's need work though.

I heard a rumor that Liam will join the badgers. Hopefully not.

Top Bottom