Tre' Williams enters the Portal

I wouldn't be surprised
I feel like Mashburn is the best bet. If he plays high major ball, I don't think he stands out enough to get a pro look. Maybe his ceiling is a Mason type? If he goes to the MWC, he has a better chance of going off and looking better comparitively. Purely speculation. Can he put up numbers like Sam Merrill?

Why the slowness in filling in the assistant coaches position? What was Ben Johnson doing to help convince current players to stay?

"If you can shoot the basketball, I am going to love you" - Ben Johnson.

Doesn't tre Williams love to shoot the basketball?

Does Ben Johnson have an idea who will play guard for him?

Is it panic time yet?
No. Patience.

Not a big loss. Below average Big10 player. Poor shooter and just OK handles. Should not be hard to find someone better in the portal. Coach Johnson gets it: good shooters are first priority with the roster.

Why the slowness in filling in the assistant coaches position? What was Ben Johnson doing to help convince current players to stay?

Is it panic time yet?
Ben said “If you can shoot the basketball” not just loving to shoot. Williams was not a good shot in 2020-2021.

Tre would do well at Mesabi Community College in Virginia MN!

Is it panic time yet?
wut

Yeah, I was just getting used to 6 new players every year. Might be 10 this year.
And the crazy thing is we might be better because of it. All the players transferring from the Gophers are low grade players outside of Mash. The only 2 I care about keeping are Gabe and Robbins.

By my math this leaves 7 open scholarships to fill. This leaves adequate room for Jamison Battle, Race Thompson, Parker Fox, Dawson Garcia, Ish El-Amin, the Madsen twins, and other non-Minnesota bred portal guys who are difference makers.

I will say not all of these guys in the portal will leave. Might as well see what’s out there. Johnson can recruit them if he chooses. This may be the best spot for them—it likely isn’t. Wish all these guys well. By all accounts represented the university well.

For those who wanted a new coach you had to have seen these departures coming

And the crazy thing is we might be better because of it. All the players transferring from the Gophers are low grade players outside of Mash. The only 2 I care about keeping are Gabe and Robbins.

By my math this leaves 7 open scholarships to fill. This leaves adequate room for Jamison Battle, Race Thompson, Parker Fox, Dawson Garcia, Ish El-Amin, the Madsen twins, and other non-Minnesota bred portal guys who are difference makers.
So you want to replace a bunch of low grade players with low grade players who are from Minnesota?

So you want to replace a bunch of low grade players with low grade players who are from Minnesota?
If you truly think the guys who have transferred out from Gophers are in the same realm as the Minnesota guys I mentioned you have lost your mind.

Ben said “If you can shoot the basketball” not just loving to shoot.
it seems to me the clear implication in the above statement is that he was referring to players who can shot well. Of course, anyone can shot the ball, that is not a talent.

I will say not all of these guys in the portal will leave. Might as well see what’s out there. Johnson can recruit them if he chooses. This may be the best spot for them—it likely isn’t. Wish all these guys well. By all accounts represented the university well.

For those who wanted a new coach you had to have seen these departures coming
None of the guys in the portal will be coming back.

If you truly think the guys who have transferred out from Gophers are in the same realm as the Minnesota guys I mentioned you have lost your mind.
I forgot Gabe Madsen averaged 1.5pts and opted out. Hard to find that output.
Mason did average 6.5pts per game in a weaker conference with a weaker SOS
Parker Fox lit up Minot and UMary, so I'm sure he will be a dominant B1G player.

Not saying all of these guys suck but you really lost me with the Madsen's. I don't know if Johnson would even take them.

I forgot Gabe Madsen averaged 1.5pts and opted out. Hard to find that output.
Mason did average 6.5pts per game in a weaker conference with a weaker SOS
Parker Fox lit up Minot and UMary, so I'm sure he will be a dominant B1G player.

Not saying all of these guys suck but you really lost me with the Madsen's. I don't know if Johnson would even take them.
I dont get why people keep bringing up the Madsens those guys arent even options. Hes after guards not from Minnesota along with showing some interest in El-Amin

I dont get why people keep bringing up the Madsens those guys arent even options. Hes after guards not from Minnesota along with showing some interest in El-Amin
The Madsen's aren't good so I'm happy to read this. Tre Williams is better than either of them. Unless we can stack them on top of each other like a super madsen and have a giant player with 4 arms I don't want them.

Sad state of affairs when we're considering a 6 ppg (40% fg, 32% 3pt, 31% FT) player a big loss. It's time to clean house. I'd be surprised if Johnson didn't advise some of these departures, as most incoming coaches do when they're analyzing the returning roster.

Top Bottom