Traveling to Nebraska

MNfootballfan

Reaction score
Who has done it? What tips do you have?

Plan is to leave Friday.

The Billds have gone twice during the Kill/Claeys era. We go with Husker family so that's a plus.

There is a fair amount of private-lot, gameday parking very close to the stadium, generally at a reasonable cost. Of course it's best being directed by a local but know it's there.

Going in cold I'd study the main routes going in and see what's out there for road closures around the stadium on gameday. From there I'd take my chances getting close to the stadium.

Going this year again too. Should be fun.

I am also going and leaving Friday. First Gopher football road trip for me. (Done many for hockey)

I've gone twice in 2014 and 2016. May go this year.

From what I recall, any of the good hotels in Lincoln require a 2-night minimum on football weekends and they are not cheap. You might be able to find a Super 8 (or something similar) on the outskirts of Lincoln for a single night and a better deal. But if you wanna be by the action, you will pay for it.

I'd suggest getting a room in the Omaha area and making the drive in on Saturday morning and heading back to your hotel later on Saturday night. Makes for a good homebase and Omaha actually has some cool areas around downtown (Old Market?)

As far as Lincoln, the pregame scene is fun. The Haymarket District has a lot of good restaurants and bars and is walkable to the stadium. Also plenty of tailgating going on.

If money is no object, get a room for the whole weekend around the Haymarket or campus in Lincoln and you will be walkable to everything all weekend.

I tried once, but after Iowa I just found South Dakota was bigger than I imagined.

Nebraska doesn't even exist. Don't let THE MEDIA fool you!

I've gone twice in 2014 and 2016. May go this year.

From what I recall, any of the good hotels in Lincoln require a 2-night minimum on football weekends and they are not cheap. You might be able to find a Super 8 (or something similar) on the outskirts of Lincoln for a single night and a better deal. But if you wanna be by the action, you will pay for it.

I'd suggest getting a room in the Omaha area and making the drive in on Saturday morning and heading back to your hotel later on Saturday night. Makes for a good homebase and Omaha actually has some cool areas around downtown (Old Market?)

As far as Lincoln, the pregame scene is fun. The Haymarket District has a lot of good restaurants and bars and is walkable to the stadium. Also plenty of tailgating going on.

If money is no object, get a room for the whole weekend around the Haymarket or campus in Lincoln and you will be walkable to everything all weekend.
I found an ok hotel price (just over $200) but I booked the day they announced the schedule.

We've been many times. It's always fun. My favorite place to stay is the Courtyard by Marriott in the Haymarket. Then you are already in the area and don't have to deal with traffic on game day. The hotels by the airport are decent also. If you are so inclined for an amazing meal on Friday, go to Casa Bovina. Need reservations. We did the tasting menu and it was some of the best food I have ever had (specially occasion - trust me we don't always eat like that!). There's a place called The Cellar under the Oven in the Haymarket. Excellent wine selection - the somm there knows his stuff. Really good cheese board. Hopcat is a good option for bar food and great beer selection. Cultiva is a nice casual local coffee shop with good breakfast. Enjoy!

Last edited:

We've been many times. It's always fun. My favorite place to stay is the Courtyard by Marriott in the Haymarket. Then you are already in the area and don't have to deal with traffic on game day. The hotels by the airport are decent also. If you are so inclined for an amazing meal on Friday, go to Casa Bovina. Need reservations. We did the tasting menu and it was some of the best food I have ever had (specially occasion - trust me we don't always eat like that!). There's a place called The Cellar under the Oven in the Haymarket. Excellent wine selection - the somm there knows his stuff. Really good cheese board. Hopecat is a good option for bar food and great beer selection. Cultiva is a nice casual local coffee shop with good breakfast. Enjoy!
If we are driving in, how early should we get to campus? 2 hours? 3 hours?

I'd say at least 3 hours. The earlier the better to avoid the game traffic on I-80 (a lot of people are driving to Lincoln from the direction of Omaha on gamedays)
We had a blast our one and only trip to Lincoln. Stayed Friday nite in west Omaha where there were lots of Gopher and Husker fans. We arrived 4-5 hours early. We had reserved parking at one of the muny lots downtown. We had a great time at Single Barrel and listening to the Sidetrack Band. I think Single Barrel moved and the band now plays at Rosie's. The band is a hoot and they cater to the Husker crowd and revised the lyrics on many good old tunes. They invite the visiting team to the stage and sign their school song. About 20 or so Gophers fans joined in with the Rouser and was great. Plus the N Alumni Band stopped by.

We took Hwy 34 east from downtown then Hwy 63 north to Hwy 8 after rather than fighting the I-80 traffic Or you can take Hwy 8 all the way to Omaha.

I’ve been twice. I highly recommend this away game destination. We were invited to a tailgate on Huskermax. Great hospitality. I was shocked by how antiquated the stadium was. Concourses we’re awful. The fan base was cathartic last time there but were optimistic about their return to greatness. We went Haymarket following the games and were treated well. We had no issues finding a vrbo townhouse. Wear your maroon and gold loud and proud! Show respect and you’ll be treated well.

The stadium is pretty shitty. The experience is awesome. Nice people, good bars, etc. Been a couple times. Get a hotel and try to be within a reasonable walking distance. Lots of bars in hay market. Go to the Railyard and let the good times take over. Hope for a 2:30 or night game. 11am is tough if you want to tailgate for 4 hours and have a drive from Omaha as some have suggested.

Post-game traffic towards Omaha can be a major issue.

Haymarket bars are good. Railyard the best? We have always styaed out by the airport, which is NW of everything.......Hampton inn good

Other than a few private tailgate lots, the vast majority of the regular university tailgate lots are not near the stadium. Haymarket is fun. I was pretty shocked that before the game there is not much going on right around the stadium. Went in 2018. Parked north of the stadium and walked to Haymarket from there...very little happening around the stadium until the crowd starts entering. Atmosphere in the stadium was fine, nothing special considering the size of the crowd.

Granted, giving an 0-6 team their first win probably shades my opinion a bit, but frankly, it was underwhelming to me. The impression I got before going from posters on GH was that it was one of the top college football experiences out there.

Has anyone bought tickets through the U, if yes what's your gopher score and/or where'd you sit

I think Nebraska is the opponent I'd most like to travel to. I hate to admit it, but I've never been to a road game.

Has anyone bought tickets through the U, if yes what's your gopher score and/or where'd you sit
We have a decent score - mid 3000's. We have been in the last or second to last row of the stadium in the endzone. In the north endzone - we were in the jetstream. I still prefer to sit with other Gopher fans than get better seats off the market.

I've gone twice, once we stayed closer to OmahaI believe once and in Lincoln another time we stayed right next to the prison

There is a mediocore bar right next door for night cap

It's actually pretty reasonable and well, it's fine if you're just sleeping there, but not great. I wouldn't highly recommend it, and reviews indicate you can dirty rooms, my room was relatively clean (I have middle of road standards) and it's cheap.

Overall one of my favorite trips. Goal Line Club usually organizes a get together

Good beer here http://www.boilerbrewingcompany.com/

Haymarket district is where we spent most of our time. Bars will be packed (no surprise) but even in gopher gear you'll get a warm reception. We've walked tailgate lots and had random nebraska fans invite us for a beer

Stadium, the process to get in and out sucks, very narrow concourses and doors to get into seating area. If you're one of those that doesn't want to miss kickoff, get there early

If you get seats in upper deck, hopefully you're not a frequent bathroom goer, because it's a lot of steps. I've heard stories of people leaving for bathroom and never be seen again (well, until after the game), although I've always had spots in lower part of the upper level.

If you Uber, give it 2 hours at least post game to try to get an Uber/Lyft, rates will go down big time

I think Nebraska is the opponent I'd most like to travel to. I hate to admit it, but I've never been to a road game.
I've been to Lincoln, Citrus Bowl, Wisconsin, and Iowa

I'd rank them

Lincoln
Citrus Bowl (obviously not a routine one)
Iowa
Wisconsin

Was thinking about going to PSU or MSU this year, but never made it. I'd like to check out every B1G stadium. This year my road trip is going to Vegas to watch games though

I almost went to MI the year we got the jug, but decided against it and regret it

Did see us win the Axe in 2018 (my only road trip victory)

Lincoln is a cool place. Relative to other big ten fans, nebby fans are great.

The stadium is legit and the crowd is fun. They have these hot pocket type things you should try - can’t remember what they’re called. Filling is mike Molton lava.

We won when I went so that helped.

The stadium is legit and the crowd is fun. They have these hot pocket type things you should try - can’t remember what they’re called. Filling is mike Molton lava.
Runzas. And they are neither hot nor tasty, unless blah is your thing.

We had a great time for our trip to Lincoln in 2016. It was very easy to procure a nice tailgate spot, as a visitor. I wish there were expansive lots available near the Bank for first come, first served tailgating here.

Hello, my name is GSUsTALON and yours can't ' because I am!

I know it would be hard to pull for you to pull for Georgia Southern because even
a close game with Nebraska would put you in a disadvantage when the Gophers BEAT NEBRASKA. Still wouldn't mind a cheer or two!

We had a great time for our trip to Lincoln in 2016. It was very easy to procure a nice tailgate spot, as a visitor. I wish there were expansive lots available near the Bank for first come, first served tailgating here.
Are you being sarcastic?

What? What would be taken as sarcastic from that experience, or the wish we had more tailgating available at our own stadium? I am baffled by your question.

What? What would be taken as sarcastic from that experience, or the wish we had more tailgating available at our own stadium? I am baffled by your question.
Guessing it will come down to someone's definition of "near" and "first come first served".

Guessing it will come down to someone's definition of "near" and "first come first served".
I was thinking he was taking my comments as wanting tailgating for visitors (opposing fans). I read my original comments a few times and although that wasn’t what I was suggesting, it was all I could come up with. The point remains… it was fun/easy to get a tailgate spot in Lincoln, and I wish there were more options for tailgating at the bank.

I tailgate every week and we love it, but outside of the spots down by the river I am not aware of a big expansive area where someone can reserve or drive up for tailgating on a week to week basis.

Last edited:

Top Bottom