Transfer QB for 2025

btowngopher

Reaction score
We are seeing some nice success from one year rental QBs like Brosmer and Rourke at Indiana. Two guys that were proven at lower levels. Looking at Indiana, they brought in Rourke even with having Tayven Jackson as a pretty highly touted young qb. Unlike AK, Jackson stuck with Indiana. Makes me think we should target one next year if there is a good fit. Might not sit the best with Lindsey, and I know we are high on him, but how many red shirt freshman qbs have excelled in the B1G?

If 2024 is any indication, there will be a lot of QB talent in the portal for the 2025 season. We’ve actually got a moderately experienced back-up QB, a transfer, on the roster right now, I believe. I’d like to see Lindsay get a fair shot: big arm. Time will tell.

If 2024 is any indication, there will be a lot of QB talent in the portal for the 2025 season. We’ve actually got a moderately experienced back-up QB, a transfer, on the roster right now, I believe. I’d like to see Lindsay get a fair shot: big arm. Time will tell.
There is no meaningful game experience on the roster outside of Brosmer. Wittke did not play at Va Tech

We are seeing some nice success from one year rental QBs like Brosmer and Rourke at Indiana. Two guys that were proven at lower levels. Looking at Indiana, they brought in Rourke even with having Tayven Jackson as a pretty highly touted young qb. Unlike AK, Jackson stuck with Indiana. Makes me think we should target one next year if there is a good fit. Might not sit the best with Lindsey, and I know we are high on him, but how many red shirt freshman qbs have excelled in the B1G?
Rentals are great but Minnesota should fundamentally continue to be a developmental program. The guys in the room need a chance to compete. Kaliakmanis was not good enough to play at MN and there was nobody behind him on the roster. I would rather see Minnesota try to develop Lindsay than blow their entire NIL budget on a QB.

Frankly, I am fine with a few losses as long as there is improvement to root for.

I'll take our chances with Drake. He was a stud in HS and looked very good on the limited play he's gotten.
On face value the schedule doesn’t look as daunting next year either. We lose both tackles as well. Might be a transition year.

Yeah they should be going after 1 year rentals every year. Someone who understands the value in getting a post-graduate degree here

I know it’s pessimistic, but I just don’t have faith we can develop QB’s here. How many “dudes” have we developed over the last 20 years?

Yeah they should be going after 1 year rentals every year. Someone who understands the value in getting a post-graduate degree here

I know it’s pessimistic, but I just don’t have faith we can develop QB’s here. How many “dudes” have we developed over the last 20 years?
Morgan was solid. Weber would have been if he had better coaching.

On face value the schedule doesn’t look as daunting next year either. We lose both tackles as well. Might be a transition year.

We do play Oregon and Ohio State next season though and we still have Iowa. I get sick of playing Iowa and Wisconsin every year. I don't know why "rivalries" mean much in an 18 team league stretching from the Atlantic to the Pacific. I'd rather rotate among all the teams in the league.

I think a lot is depends on your relationship with the quarterback. If you have a good relationship and say hey, I’m picking up a guy for depth we need other bodies… it can be just fine.
If a college QB thinks that his coach is not continually looking for someone to replace him, he needs to have a little chat with some former college QBs. That's the nature of the business.

We do play Oregon and Ohio State next season though and we still have Iowa. I get sick of playing Iowa and Wisconsin every year. I don't know why "rivalries" mean much in an 18 team league stretching from the Atlantic to the Pacific. I'd rather rotate among all the teams in the league.
I’d argue rivalries become more precious and important in a larger league. The idea of not playing Iowa and Wisconsin as being a preference is blasphemy to me.

If a college QB thinks that his coach is not continually looking for someone to replace him, he needs to have a little chat with some former college QBs. That's the nature of the business.
PJ has said publicly his job is to find someone better.

Lindsay likely would be gone if a really good transfer QB was brought in next year and that would really really suck. Lindsay is a baller!
Not if it’s a transfer with only a year left. He didn’t have many P5 offers out of high school, can’t imagine he’d garner many if he transferred.

Rentals are great but Minnesota should fundamentally continue to be a developmental program. The guys in the room need a chance to compete. Kaliakmanis was not good enough to play at MN and there was nobody behind him on the roster. I would rather see Minnesota try to develop Lindsay than blow their entire NIL budget on a QB.

Frankly, I am fine with a few losses as long as there
is improvement to root for.
I’d like them to develop Lindsay also, but that doesn’t mean throwing him out there as a rs freshman to take his lumps.

If Lindsey isn't coming along like the staff hopes, they'll probably look for another stop gap QB. If he looks like he's ready to step into the starting role, they won't look for a one year rental most likely.

Pretty simple.

I’d argue rivalries become more precious and important in a larger league. The idea of not playing Iowa and Wisconsin as being a preference is blasphemy to me.

Well, we just don't agree and this isn't a religion that I'm bound to obey.

I’d like them to develop Lindsay also, but that doesn’t mean throwing him out there as a rs freshman to take his lumps.
The entire reason for a developmental redshirt is to give him an entire year to get his body ready for next season. If he turns out to be average then we’ll want him to be a four-year starter that can provide consistency. If he turns out to be elite then he’ll be gone in two years anyway. If he can’t hack his way to bowl eligibility as a 19-year-old then he’s probably not going to be elite at 23. Playing him next year gives Fleck an entire season to gauge him early in his career, gives the team an excuse to rebuild, and cuts Fleck some slack because nobody is going to expect him to win the B1G with a Freshman QB.

If we want to get rental players then go get offensive lineman to protect him.

Last edited:

yep....in this era of unrestricted free agency you have to keep your options open because you never know if the guy you have is going to jump ship or if someone better might become a realistic option. Hopefully it works out that Drake is ready next year and takes over the job but in this current QB carousel environment you can't really count on anything.

Let’s start skipping Iowa and end the streak of the most continuously played D1 rivalry (Wisconsin) in college football, so we can see Rutgers, Maryland, and Oregon more often. Sure. You certainly are not required to find that sentiment ridiculous.

You are also free to purchase a cybertruck and paint it seafoam green with house paint. Just don’t be surprised if your unique viewpoint gets some ridicule.

They will keep them because the fans can travel, that fills seats even if one team sucks.

This is a business

I get sick of playing Iowa and Wisconsin every year. I don't know why "rivalries" mean much in an 18 team league stretching from the Atlantic to the Pacific. I'd rather rotate among all the teams in the league.
Absolutely entitled to your opinion. We aren't going to be friends, though.

Are we beyond unlimited transfers or are players still allowed unlimited transfers?

Top Bottom