Transfer Portal

Always wished Mikayla Hayes would have played for the Gophers, she has a lot of length in the paint and can play defense something we need in a Big or post player. Was a fan when she played for PC in HS.
I watched a few of Mikayla Hayes’ college games, and she does not appear to have progressed from how she played in high school. She always had good hands, but she is slower and not as physical in the post.

I watched a few of Mikayla Hayes’ college games, and she does not appear to have progressed from how she played in high school. She always had good hands, but she is slower and not as physical in the post.
May be all the different systems and changes she has made. Thought she would find a good fit with the Gophers. We have a good couple point guards that would get her the basketball, I still think if she came here she would excel, but point taken on your observations of her in the college game about regression.

Nyamer Diew is leaving Butler. Freshman 6'-1", sounds athletic from Butler bio and limited stats. Had a lot of blocks in last few games of season. Coming off an ACL her HS senior year I think. I think she also played on North Tartan so obviously a known here in spite of not being ranked as a top recruit (might be the ACL). Played HS at Worthington and than Sioux City, Iowa.

EyVN9spW8AM9A3u

https://butlersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9617

Nyamer Diew committed to Iowa State today. Might be a good get for the Cyclones. Had listed it here because of her North Tartan and Minnesota connection, really had no idea who would be recruiting her but thought Gophers would be in the mix.

Minnesotan Lauren Jensen, Iowa, is entering the portal. Can't really see Gophers interested but of state fan interest.

I agree, MNGirlsHoops. Jensen should have gotten minutes. Iowa picked up a transfer from Iowa State (Kylie Furerbach). I assume after that Jensen decided it was time to move on.

Why do you think the Gophers would not be interested?

Already have a ton of guards and she was not a highly rated player in the 2020 class nationally. Might be one of those high scoring HS gals that is really a mid-major level talent better suited for one of the Dakota schools or a UNI or Drake. Just my unqualified hot take.

Already have a ton of guards and she was not a highly rated player in the 2020 class nationally. Might be one of those high scoring HS gals that is really a mid-major level talent better suited for one of the Dakota schools or a UNI or Drake. Just my unqualified hot take.
I respect your take. I think the Gophers could use some additional scoring, she can score quickly and effortlessly. Jensen played on a Nike national championship team and had a lot of Power 5 interest. I wish her the best.

Down to a final week for players to enter the portal and be eligible for next year. Cutoff date is May 1. Guessing most everyone that is leaving has entered. One big shoe that may yet fall, Kim Mulkey is rumored to be heading to LSU. Seemed to go from an LSU fan blog generated hot rumor to pretty cool to very hot again via the Baylor fan forums. That would put the Baylor players in one heck of a tough situation.

Down to a final week for players to enter the portal and be eligible for next year. Cutoff date is May 1. Guessing most everyone that is leaving has entered. One big shoe that may yet fall, Kim Mulkey is rumored to be heading to LSU. Seemed to go from an LSU fan blog generated hot rumor to pretty cool to very hot again via the Baylor fan forums. That would put the Baylor players in one heck of a tough situation.

The May 1st date was changed to July 1st. (From the D1 Council Transfer Rule Thread)

**May 1 date changed for 2021-22 eligibility only. At its April 14 meeting, the Division I Council approved a blanket waiver of the May 1, 2021, deadline for fall/winter sports. As a result, student-athletes in all sports will default to the July 1 notification of transfer date in order to apply the uniform transfer eligibility exception to compete at another Division I institution during the 2021-22 academic year only.

If you’re saying she’s good enough for the Dakota schools, then she should be good enough for the Gophers. Remember, the Gophers have lost to South Dakota the past several times they played them in preseason. Both South Dakota schools have been to the NCAA several times in the past five years, including as at-large selections. However, from your name it looks like you’re an Iowa State fan so you’re probably just sore that both South Dakota schools have beaten Iowa State and competed very well against other P5 teams recently.
Personally, I think the Whalen should stay away from both Jensen and Carr, as we need a good, solid defensive post if we want to compete with the top half of the conference. We have enough guards.

If you’re saying she’s good enough for the Dakota schools, then she should be good enough for the Gophers. Remember, the Gophers have lost to South Dakota the past several times they played them in preseason. Both South Dakota schools have been to the NCAA several times in the past five years, including as at-large selections. However, from your name it looks like you’re an Iowa State fan so you’re probably just sore that both South Dakota schools have beaten Iowa State and competed very well against other P5 teams recently.
Personally, I think the Whalen should stay away from both Jensen and Carr, as we need a good, solid defensive post if we want to compete with the top half of the conference. We have enough guards.
Ha, no not "sore". And as a MN guy I also follow the Gophers. This is more me and my take on how Midwest peeps love their small town or home state gals, sometimes a little too much.

The South Dakota teams are legit and, like Drake and Mizzu State, play great team ball. I do have to hand it to the Dakota teams, they make a good effort to play as many majors as they can. However, there is a difference in playing mostly Summit or MVC teams and matching up against an occasional P6 versus playing Big 10 teams EVERY week for individual players.

FWIW: According to this ESPN article, Roby made an unofficial visit here back in 2017.

Roby has made unofficial visits to four universities so far: Miami, Michigan State, Minnesota and Notre Dame. While she sorts out her college choice, Roby continues to work exceptionally hard at her game. She's a regular in the gym, doing everything from jumping rope to working on her ballhandling skills.

FWIW: According to this ESPN article, Roby made an unofficial visit here back in 2017.

OOH OOH OOH, we could use a center, sure hope Whalen and the coaching staff has been in contact with Roby?

We barely had time to speculate; Sydnee Roby transferred to Texas A&M. She joins former Buckeye Aaliyah Patty.

In another thread, thatjanelpick mentioned Christianna Carr's transfer to Syracuse. In this article she discussed her reasoning. She said Minnesota was among the schools recruiting her:

Syracuse landed one of the top scorers in the transfer portal on Thursday when Kansas State transfer guard Christianna Carr committed to the Orange. After averaging over 15 points per game last season, Carr decided the best move for her career was to find a new collegiate home. While being pursued by several schools after entering the portal, it was Carr's relationship with Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman that proved to be the difference.

"I had a really good relationship with coach Q," Carr said. "Just talking to him throughout my recruiting process, he was one that was always asking how I was doing. Just questions outside of basketball, we really connected. We talked about a lot of life things. I feel like he really wanted to listen to what I wanted to accomplish at Syracuse and I trusted that he was going to be able to do that for me. Help me accomplish my dreams. That was what it really boiled down to. My connection with coach Q and just how much I mean to him."

During the recruiting process, Carr and Hillsman spoke often. When the conversation was focused on basketball, Hillsman outlined Carr's role on next year's squad.

"The first thing a coach is going to go to is my shot," Carr said. "I think that's one of my biggest strengths playing at the collegiate level. We talked about different ways he can find shots for me. He talked about how he watched all my game clips of last year. He said he watched all the shots I've taken last year and how much my game has evolved over the last three years. Playing in space more because I'm going to be playing around good players. That's really what he's envisioned for me is just making things easier for me. That was ultimately playing in space, being able to attack, getting into my mid-range and being able to score at all three levels."

Syracuse's ability to land Carr is important for next season's roster, and the Orange beat out SEC, Big-10 and Big-12 schools for her services.

"Baylor was recruiting me pretty hard," Carr said. "LSU, Texas, Ohio State, Minnesota, Rutgers, a lot of different schools from all over."

Top Bottom