Transfer Portal

That tweet says shes grad-transferring. Impressive to get that Stanford degree in 3 years.
The football team got a grad transfer from Michigan, Benjamin St. Juste, who graduated from Michigan in 2.5 years. He is going into his Jr year of eligibility.

Michigan States Kayla Belles transfers to BYU.

Michigan State women's basketball coach Suzy Merchant announced on Tuesday that center Kayla Belles will transfer to Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

Belles averaged 6.9 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a sophomore in the 2019-2020 season en route to collecting the team's honor of most improved player at their postseason banquet. In a statement, she said that the decision to transfer was not an easy one to make.

Belles, a member of the Church of Latter Day Saints, was originally recruited out of high school by BYU after she earned All-State honors three times in her career at Ithaca High School. The move leaves Cyndi Dodd and Taiyier Parks as the remaining centers on Michigan State's roster.

Merchant wished Belles well in a statement and said that she will always be a Spartan.

Really interesting to see the large number of transfers these days, including some major players. One of the reasons I've enjoyed the women's college game "was" that you could usually count on players staying for the full four years. No "one and done" players like the men's game; very few transfers. The large number of transfers now is having a major impact on the game. Any coach who loses a high school recruit will be wise not to burn bridges, as they could still get that player somewhere dowTn the line.

Trying to think if there are any BIG programs who haven't lost transfers. Iowa? Northwestern? Michigan? Schools like Ohio State, Maryland, Nebraska, and Wisconsin have all lost multiple players, included some talented players. The Gophers haven't yet lost anyone in the off season, but lost 2 players during the year. It has to be difficult for a coach and staff to work their tail off to recruit a high school player, only to lose them a year or two later. I agree with the assessment that most college coaches are now left building teams instead of programs.

Do we scholarships yet to fill this offseason?

Do we scholarships yet to fill this offseason?

I think for next season they would have one more available for transfers or class of 2020 if they wanted to use it.

As of now:

8 Returners-Tomancova, Cumming, Ross, Scalia, Powell, Sissoko, Sconiers, and Hubbard.
3 class of 2020 Freshman-Smith, Hedman, and Strande
2 Transfers- Mershon (2 years of eligibility left) and Bagwell-Katalinich (grad transfer)
1 Juco- Woodard

so that would be 14 filled of possible 15 scholarships.

With only two seniors on next years team in Bagwell-Katalinich and Hubbard and already two signed for 2021 (Maggie Czinano and Katie Borowicz) it leaves possible 1 available more for class of 2021 but I've seen people say or reports that the Gopher Staff has made it clear they will have scholarships for both Adalia McKenzie and Sophie Hart should they both want to stay home.

also to note, Its either this week or next that the NCAA will vote on if transfers can be eligible immediately on their first transfer. If voted yes, more may enter the portal or transfer.

Auburn's Brooke Moore becomes a Boiler.

Purdue has now added two new players to the fold in the last two days as they former Auburn guard Brooke Moore committed to the Boilermakers today via Twitter.

Moore is listed at 5’7’ and will be playing point guard when she suits up for Sharon Versyp, whether that be the 2020-21 season if the proposed one-time transfer rule goes into effect or the following season.

During her two year stint with the Tigers, she posted a line of 6.8 points, 0.6 assists, 1.2 rebounds per game while shooting 31% from the field, 27% from three-point range and over 80% at the free-throw line.

This past season she put up 8.6 points and 1.4 rebounds per contest as she suited up for 21 games, starting 17 of those and playing 23.4 minutes per game.

Although he struggled a bit from outside, the free throw percentage is promising in that she could be able to find her shot in a different offensive philosophy.

. . . but I've seen people say or reports that the Gopher Staff has made it clear they will have scholarships for both Adalia McKenzie and Sophie Hart should they both want to stay home.

Iowa received a commitment this week from another ‘21 post prospect, so they appear to be out of the running for Hart.

Iowa received a commitment this week from another ‘21 post prospect, so they appear to be out of the running for Hart.
Was Iowa a top school for Hart? I can’t find a list of top schools for her.

Not sure, but she did attend a game at Iowa this winter, and was photographed with at least one of the Iowa commitments.

I don't think she has an official list or anything out at this time. I do know its somewhat known that Iowa and Minnesota are both all in on Hart and McKenzie. The recent commit to Iowa is more of a 4 so could play with Hart in the paint.

Hart has a lot of teams interested in her but unsure where offers currently stand. I know when Maryland came to Minnesota to play the Gophers was around the same weekend Hart and Farmington played and Brenda was in attendance watching her. NC State has also spoken with her and come up to watch her play. So has Penn State but once again, unknown on offers.

I am guessing with both Hart and McKenzie knowing that Iowa and Gophers have spots reserved or waiting for them, that they don't feel some of the same anxiety about not having a spot if they don't commit quickly.

If I was a betting man, I feel Iowa/Minnesota both go 50/50 on these kids. My gut says Hart to Iowa and McKenzie to Minnesota but I also could be way off.

Nicole "Nikki" Cardano-Hillary from George Mason chooses Indiana.

The Indiana University women’s basketball team landed an important piece for the 2020-21 season late Thursday night when George Mason grad transfer Nicole “Nikki” Cardano-Hillary committed to the Hoosiers.

The 5-foot-7 guard from Madrid, Spain, by way of Vista Ridge High School in Cedar Park, Texas, announced her decision on Twitter.

“I am so blessed to be starting a new chapter in my basketball career at INDIANA UNIVERSITY,” Cardano-Hillary posted. “So excited to be part of this amazing new family. Can’t wait to get started. Go Hoosiers!”

Cardano-Hillary heads to Bloomington as the all-time leading scorer for the Patriots with 1,766 points in three seasons, winning Atlantic-10 Player of the Year in 2019 when she averaged a career-best 20.4 points per game.

Terps add two:

COLLEGE PARK, Md. --
The Maryland women's basketball team will welcome graduate transfer Katie Benzan, a 5-6 guard from Harvard, and transfer Chloe Bibby, a 6-1 forward from Mississippi State, to the roster for the 2020-21 season, head coach Brenda Frese announced Wednesday.

KATIE BENZAN
Guard • 5-6
Wellesley, Mass. • Harvard
Katie Benzan, who will be eligible immediately, comes to College Park after playing three seasons at Harvard, where she was a three-time First Team All-Ivy League honoree.

In her three seasons with the Crimson, Benzan averaged 13.7 points per game with 3.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists and played over 34 minutes per game. She notched career highs of 27 points at Quinnipiac and 10 assists at No. 14 California. Benzan played at Harvard for the 2017, 2018, 2019 seasons and sat out this past year. She will graduate this May with her degree in psychology

At which point will we know if all transfers will be immediate (for the first time)?

At which point will we know if all transfers will be immediate (for the first time)?

May 20.

A proposed waiver that would allow all athletes to transfer once without being required to sit out for a season at their new school will be discussed when the NCAA Division I Council meets in April. From there, a vote will follow on May 20, MAC commissioner Jon Steinbrecher told Stadium.

Steinbrecher is the chair of the NCAA’s Division I Transfer Waiver Working Group, which came out in support of the proposal in February. The concept was initially pushed by the Big Ten and subsequently publicly backed by the ACC.

Presently, athletes in football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball and hockey are required to sit out for a season when they transfer to a new school. The main exception is with athletes who have graduated with remaining eligibility. Those “graduate transfers” are granted immediate eligibility at a new school.

May 20.
Have you seen anything indicating that they're considering to allow this to apply to transfers that occur prior to the start of the 2020-21 season year?

My understanding is that if it's effective immediately, that would just mean any transfers going forward from whenever the new season year starts this summer. Not retroactive to transfers that occurred this spring. Would love to be shown wrong on that.

Have you seen anything indicating that they're considering to allow this to apply to transfers that occur prior to the start of the 2020-21 season year?

My understanding is that if it's effective immediately, that would just mean any transfers going forward from whenever the new season year starts this summer. Not retroactive to transfers that occurred this spring. Would love to be shown wrong on that.

Form further down the article: it could go into effect immediately:

D1 Baseball is reporting that the proposal is expected to pass and go into effect immediately for the 2020-21 season. However, Steinbrecher told Stadium that it is unclear when the waiver, if it passes, would go into effect.

Should this rule change pass and go into effect prior to the 2020-21 season, it would have a massive impact on the next college basketball season.

According to ESPN, there are 746 Division I men’s basketball players in the transfer portal, 565 of which would have to sit out next season if the rule does not change. If it does change, those players would be allowed to suit up right away with additional players potentially deciding to follow that path and leave their school after the vote in May.

Athletes who have transferred previously or do not meet the proposed criteria would be subject to the waiver process.

Thanks, but that is just repeating my whole fundamental disconnect with this thing. Do people really not see this coming, until it's too late??

In these two statements:
"
D1 Baseball is reporting that the proposal is expected to pass and go into effect immediately for the 2020-21 season.
Should this rule change pass and go into effect prior to the 2020-21 season

"

there is nothing that would imply that going into effect for the 2020-21 means anything about before that season year starts.

I think people are seeing what they want to see.

I'm not getting upset at you for this, please note. You're just reporting. And thank you again for the links.

I really just have not see anything official, from an official source, that has ever mentioned anything about it apply to transfers happening this spring. I think people are just assuming it will.

And if it doesn't ... a whole lot of people are going to be like "wait, what???"

Bottom line: on May 20 the committee can choose to implement the rule and they can choose to make transfers like Kayla Mershon immediately eligible. Or, they could decide not to do anything. Until then, we won't know; but a lot of teams are hoping for immediate eligibility for recent non-grad transfers.

Bottom line: on May 20 the committee can choose to implement the rule and they can choose to make transfers like Kayla Mershon immediately eligible. Or, they could decide not to do anything. Until then, we won't know; but a lot of teams are hoping for immediate eligibility for recent non-grad transfers.
Well yes of course. They could. Hopefully they will (my sentiment).

But I'm just saying: up to this point, I have not seen anything from any official person that would make me believe that it applying to transfers this spring is actually on the table. Wish someone would state that very direct question to someone like Steinbrecher and force him to answer.

And then, of course, there's the special (as I'll call it) "Let's punish Destiny Pitts some more rule" on which (if you scroll back a few pages) you can see my earlier diatribe. It says you don't get the no-wait benefits if you were under discipline (e.g., suspended indefinitely for bad body language) by your prior team. Destiny might well be the only transfer to which this sub-rule might apply (which is why I call it the "Let's punish Destiny Pitts some more rule"). Maybe it will turn out OK for her, if in the transfer process they just query the former school about "disciplinary actions" and Minnesota just checks the No box. I'm sure Whalen has no hard feelings toward her former star (and in fact, probably wishes they could have a do-over in how it was handled). But that does-not-apply-if-under-disciplinary-action clause is just totally stupid. It's only a way for former schools to further punish a former player after the fact, and most schools wouldn't even want to do so, yet the way the new rule is phrased, it's almost like such additional punishment is required.

And then, of course, there's the special (as I'll call it) "Let's punish Destiny Pitts some more rule" on which (if you scroll back a few pages) you can see my earlier diatribe. It says you don't get the no-wait benefits if you were under discipline (e.g., suspended indefinitely for bad body language) by your prior team. Destiny might well be the only transfer to which this sub-rule might apply (which is why I call it the "Let's punish Destiny Pitts some more rule"). Maybe it will turn out OK for her, if in the transfer process they just query the former school about "disciplinary actions" and Minnesota just checks the No box. I'm sure Whalen has no hard feelings toward her former star (and in fact, probably wishes they could have a do-over in how it was handled). But that does-not-apply-if-under-disciplinary-action clause is just totally stupid. It's only a way for former schools to further punish a former player after the fact, and most schools wouldn't even want to do so, yet the way the new rule is phrased, it's almost like such additional punishment is required.
Absolutely amazing how much speculation you throw out without having any more of a clue about what actually happened than the rest of us.

Meanwhile; back in the Portal. Another Terp scurries away.
Maryland women’s basketball had another member of its program enter the transfer portal Thursday, as guard Taylor Mikesell announced her intention to leave College Park.

Mikesell becomes the third Terp to enter the portal this offseason, following centers Olivia Owens and Shakira Austin.

“First of all, I would like to say thank you to the University of Maryland for allowing me to fulfill my dream of playing D1 basketball. But, after much thought and consideration, I feel it is in my best interest to enter the transfer portal and explore other options at this time,” Mikesell wrote in an Instagram post. “I would like to say thank you to my coaches, professors, and Terp Nation for supporting me every step of the way.

“Most of all I want to say thank you to my teammates for becoming my sisters for life. I love each and every one of you and I’m so thankful for everything you’ve done for me over the past two years. Please respect my privacy throughout this process, this is a very sensitive time.”

Mikesell set the program record for three pointers made by a freshman in 2018-19 to be named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year and was a key starter in both her seasons as a Terp.

And Shakira Austin chose Ole Miss.

Wow Mikesell leaving is crazy. She's started every game in her 2 years there and played over 30 minutes a game.

Top Bottom